Saturday, September 18, 2021

Kew - and the Titan arum is flowering

 It was back to an 8am visit today (only available to the end of the month)  and the forecast was excellent (and correct) Also exciting me was the news from Kew's Facebook page that one of their Titan Arum's was about to flower - you saw the growth it had put on last week.

as you can see, the sky is already blue at 8 when I entered

and there were some great reflections in the pond of the clouds 

I took some extra shots of the beds today (more later) as Elizabeth last week thought they were ready for their end of season haircut -  on the whole I think they've done remarkably well.
 you'll see more later when I came back by


love a bit of dew on a soft leaf


the asters in the evolution garden are still delightful - huge swathes of them
and the darker ones (I prefer this shade)
mingling with the helenium and the rudbeckia both of which are starting to fade now



it was a bit cool still and dewy, as you see - so no bees out yet  




the echinacea are definitely fading , but I love them









even when the eryngium fade they are beautiful 


small slug on the physalis - both the shots I took are slightly blurry, this is the best !  
sedum




I love how the flowers on the eucomis open from the bottom upwards - nearly all open now! 
these were unusual- no label that I could see.



don't think I've ever realised the grape that grow on the fence round the student vegetable plots (which have now been cleared) were red ones.  
Wonder if they harvest enough for wine ; they look too small to be sweet enough to be eating grapes.



tall spikes of pampas grass


the sun was catching the alpine house
then I went up to the Hive, where there were some good reflections













sometimes the phone does better!  

the sun was shining on the trunks of this tree
and this little squirrel was gathering food

the patch of Japanese anemone on the corner of the Broad Walk bed is still in full flower 
walking down the Broad Walk








I love these as you know,  the reddish purple stems contrasting against the white flowers
I always take some on the phone and share to FB as I go round.



not sure if this bee was asleep or dead!  hopefully the former 
























the coleus in the round beds at either end of the pond, have been fabulous 
as promised, some closer shots of the plants in the beds at the Palm House


yes, the urns along the pond edge are still full
some of the perlagonium flowers have agreed, started to go over

I decided it was time for food, I was hungry as I had had nothing before leaving home today.      It was glorious sitting outside in the sun, with my apple sausage roll and hot chocolate.    I did find bits of apple in the sausage roll, though not sure I could detect the flavour of it - it was very nice though, and good to have something more filling than cake!


I walked past some rose bushes on my way next to the Temperate House


lots of hips!
the grass was quite wet and although I was regretting wearing my walking boots as my fet were hot, at least they kept dry


Palm House from the walk up to the Temperate House (making sure to crop out the chap with a tripod taking loads more time for his shot than I did!)


it was one of those gorgeous sunlit autumn mornings that I love. 

I sat on the seating - there was no-one else there -  and played shadow selfies for Julia!

this is my favourite!

much as I like the seating, they could do wish cushions, it's not the most comfortable seat !





Cherry Walk without the blossom.  still looking good though


holly tree
I walked round the outside to head back to the Princess of Wales conservatory to get there for 10 so I could see the titan arum....


there was some beautiful screening round a patch of the grass at the far end of the Temperate House - I presume, they are getting ready for the Japanese event that is coming up,  we shall see

just love the trees on the screens.




I went to wide angle for the back of the Palm House from the Rose Garden
the light was fabulous







I reached the Princess of Wales conservatory a couple of minutes before 10,  a few other people were there with the same idea as me.


we were not disappointed

my macro lens doesn't get enough in so I swapped to my standard


lots of photos as, who knows when I'll see it in flower again

It isn't fully open, (it flattens out fully) so the smell that it is famous for wasn't too bad, a bit whiffy, but not disgusting.

it is obviously at it's most stinky fully open to attract insects





I did swap lens again for some close ups












from round the back too (blogger has reversed the order again, damn it)




I was alternating with my phone too, and got one of the other visitors to take some with me by it for scale

I've included a few as she took several 













and got some in mid action
which is quite funny


so I hope this gives you an idea of it's height (I am about 5 foot 6)  obviously it is in a pot so it starts higher up!

It really was amazing to see -  a bit of a shame it's not fully open -   and I am SO tempted to go again tomorrow to have another look - they only last about 24 hours 

watch this space!







on my way home a little later I did come back for another look, (it hadn't opened any further!)  but got a photo of the top of the spike
sadly against the light!  




walking round the rest of the conservatory.  there were chains across some of the entrances to parts of it, I assume for crowd control purposes as the titan arum will be very popular!











love the way the sun is shining through the orchid  you'd know know it was indoors

there was a hole in a waterlily leave that was buttefly shaped!



in the alpine house, colchicum

salvia border along the border of the rock garden


what a glorious blue!


more colchicum, outside in the rock garden now

and more salvia


then into the Waterlily house, where the pelican flowers have had another flourish



round the side of the pond


there weren't many waterlilies out though,
they must be between flowerings!

but this was an early stage of one

got a better angle on my way out


then the lake - more great reflections

lens change again

from the middle of the crossing, I do love it's wiggly S shape

I sat for a while and enjoyed the warmth of the sun
then went back to the Palm House and did the same there!




before taking another look at the Titan Arum before heading home



So, tomorrow - we'll see, forecast is wet,  very wet later on but you know I'm an early bird so......

I have the week ahead off work so there may be the odd day out and about too.
Thanks for looking 

2 comments:

craftimamma said...

I'm so glad you got to see the Titan arum (almost) in flower .....but I'll settle for your photos of it thanks, lol. Lots of other gorgeous plants I would prefer to see from today's visit but I think the wonderful shadows and reflections coupled with the beautiful autumn light are what's special about your photos in this post. Xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

For some reason, the beds DO look better this week. Maybe I had more sleep, or maybe it was how I saw your photo last week.

Slugs make me cringe. Maybe it was camera shy.

LOVE the pumpkins, especially the white one. You got some great reflections of the Hive and the alpine House.

Nice to see the urns are still full of lovely flowers.

I've never heard of or seen an apple sausage roll, but it sounds good.

Had to laugh at the guy with the tripod you cropped out of your photo. At the museum yesterday, some people walked right in front of me while I was taking a photo. That is always disturbing.

Wow, Kew's holly looks a lot better than mine!

I'd never heard of a titan arum, much less seen one in bloom. This is incredible. I had NO idea it was that large until you stood next to it.

Loved the waterlily with the butterfly hole. Have a great week off. I hope you have a chance to go somewhere including Kew while you are off work.