Sunday, September 19, 2021

Kew again - a peaceful Sunday

 So I decided I would go again this morning, to catch the titan arum... we'll see how well that turned out later!  The forecast wasn't great, but it started out ok 

I will start with the opening shot bit less blue in the sky than yesterday


as I was really only here to see the titan arum, and not intending to stay long I headed for the lake first 
heading past the palm house round the rose garden

lovely clouds!

there was no sunshine like yesterday,  but it was so peaceful - for some reason it seemed much more peaceful than yesterday


I don't think I've ever been on a Sunday before - there were fewer people waiting for the 8am opening, and I didn't see many people for about an hour - I guess they sensibly had a lie in!!




the lake seemed incredibly calm and  peaceful - although there was a constant flow of planes heading into Heathrow airport that I didn't notice at all yesterday (possibly they used the other flight path)

there was a hint of sun peaking through the clouds that illuminated the lake beautifully




here are a couple I took on the phone








I walked slowly round the lake - I usually (as today) walk round the right hand side - the views are better I think

loved the light behind this tree 


at the top of the lake I headed across to the woodland walk -no bluebells of course at this time of year, and all you could hear was birdsong (and the aeroplanes but I was trying to ignore them!)
I was looking for funghi, but only saw one clump - it's been dry for a while
once back out of the woodland walk I headed for the Japanese garden area to see if any of the trees were changing colour yet


found a few rowan trees dripping with berries
kashmir rowan, white ones
and the more normal red ones (didn't register the variety)

not a lot of colour as such, shades of green




but it won't be long before the surrounding trees change colour

the huge maple is starting


no blue at all in the sky now!

still dry though
walking back past the end of the Temperate House 
as I crossed the path I noticed some funghi on the trunk of this large tree
growing up the trunk like a ladder!


the bottom "rung"!  
vine at the Pavilion restaurant - not open yet, but I was able to walk round the outside -  
the leaves here are turning 

round the other side of the building they are very red

there wasn't much light to shine through though!


making my way back towards the entrance to head on to the POW for the titan arum.


trees distracted me


fluff on the sand dunes Plantscape (they are going after this weekend) 
loads of chestnuts 
this will be changing colour too,  it is always spectacular in autumn, you probably remember from previous years.


there is a little orange just at top left, see?

at the cafe I stopped for coffee and cake (apple crumble muffin)  


walking round the pond


red maple outside the Princess of Wales conservatory - not quite open yet, so
popped along past the top of the rock garden
into the evolution garden

winged spindle tree


roses


I only stayed at the neared end today

love the pop of orange from the single helenium in this shot




border along the wall, (on the other side of the wall is the rock garden)











back at the Princess of Wales conservatory I sat on the wall till they unlocked the door.  I was talking to a lovely, retired couple from Hampshire whilst we waited.
I led them in (at their request) to the Titan Arum - It looked different today - but not more open... Odd..
Then I saw the "growth chart"


I hadn't taken notice of it yesterday in my excitement at the flower.

it had been fully open on FRIDAY!!  
you can see it is already starting to collapse in on itself.


ah well.    next time!!






so I took a couple more shots



and then went to the upper level 

slightly misty waterlily

walked through the room with the carniverous plants that I don't normally bother with as I am not that fond of them

found a couple of small passionflowers









I think this might be plumbago

to be fair, this pitcher plant was quite pretty!



then it was out and down the Broad Walk and home.

(I decided not to stay longer to be sure of getting home before the rain - which I did)

It was lovely though, a short and very tranquil visit although there were more people arriving by the time I left.


thanks for looking again!

I am sure there will be at least one more trip this week, before Saturday''s normal one - got to make the most of the 8am starts!!






1 comment:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

For someone who only came to see the titan arum, you sure covered a lot of ground. It not only LOOKED peaceful, it looked empty, which I'm sure pleased you. I see it's still mostly green around the lake, with pops of autumn peeking through. Same for the Japanese Garde and the walkway to the Pagoda.

It's amazing how trees leaves change color based on where they are located (like at the cafe).

I'll be sorry to see the Plantscapes leave. They were SO interesting.

Wow, what a lovely color combination of orange helenium and lavender flowers.

So sorry you missed the full bloom. Now apparently it is closing/collapsing. Is it true it takes four to five years to regenerate and start the blooming process again? At least you got to see it bloom a bit. Thanks for sharing your Sunday at Kew, too.