Saturday, August 22, 2020

Kew - and an old friend

 Once more I had an 8 am slot for Kew... a breezy sunny day was forecst.

the green manure spread seems to be growing
on my way to the palm house I had walked past a big tree near the entrance - which seems to have
come a cropper in the recent heavy wind

poor tree !


I crossed the Broad Walk 
and past the Princess of Wales glasshouse 
into the Evolution Garden

roses...

where the flower are still gorgeous




I didn't notice the spider's web til I uploaded the photo!
I like to vary the heights and angles I shoot at 

and blurring the foreground colours....

I love the huge drifts of colours though 
the glorious eryngium are going to seed - love the changes



so are the agapanthas... 
fab!  
then i walked round to the rock garden

grasses in the sun in front of the alpine house

I walked along the path at the highest level of the rock garden
where you get good views across the entire garden
there are various waterfalls


gorgeous crimson scabious


never seen these before... label says it's Amica 
sun shining through 
insects everywhere 
holy berries -  on the way to the rose garden


there are still quite a lot of roses 
Temperate House.... not open yet though
so kept walking round...

the skies today were fab

you know I love a sky!  

the lake was bathed in sunshine 





new blogger is adding my pics out of order....




by the crossing (told you the photos had added out of order) I saw this - from a distance I thought it was another of the Canada geese,. but it's too white... 

the sun shimmering on the surface


in the shallows at the other side of the lake a small moorhen was standing on the stone, but swam off when I approached
although it wasn't ten, the "overflow"  to the temperate house was open







inside the Temperate House now





I looked for patterns in plants...



and peered round corners that I couldn't walk round 

I went for coffee and cake - sitting in the sun.

raspberry and white chocolate loaf (sponge)  today


it was my free coffee today (buy 8 get one free)


headed past the end of the palm house beds to the entrance 
where for once the humidity levels didn't steam u the lens

so I looked at patterns again 







even though you have to walk the same path only each time at the moment, there is always something different you notice


the sun through the big palm heaves is always a winner


then into the water lily house

lotus flower, growing in the inner section between the front door and the main room



the lotus pods in the pond were looking very sculputural today


the huge stems of whatever this is (must look for label)  remind me of spider legs giant Dr Who  monster-sized ones! 



one of the water lilies, fading, fallen onto the pond surface

phone pic of the pond (too lazy to change camera lens) 



outside again,

a pink rose


into the Princess of wales glasshouse now


Elephant Foot's Yam... you can see why!


it had loads of small yellow flowers that smelt gorgeous - even through my mask!


although you can't walk past them, some of the cacti were flowering 




























as I walked through into the next area you are allowed in, I saw a small group of people.... 
yay!!!  a Chinese Water Dragon 

as you know I love these lizards and haven't seen one since Kew re-opened.





he (she) is so lovely!

I have really missed seeing them

he then closed his eyes and seemed to go to sleep.... 


couple on the phone shared to FB




how fabulous!!  


the grevillea was still looking amazing too


I decided to pop along to the alpine house


good view of the grass garden 
bowls of sempervivium in the doorway

and alliums
didn't see what these are
but very pretty
these are autumn squill

they have bigger ones in the evolution garden earlier in the year

they are tiny



I think my eyes weren't working properly today, seem to have had trouble focusing in macro! 
the left side of the alpine house is being re-developed./planted 
will be interesting to see what they put in 

(although it's been empty a while so may not be soon!) 

heading back along the path...




my friend that I see at the gate often, had said when I saw her mid-morning that the wisteria was having a second flush so as I passed I stopped for a look 
not many flowers, but very pretty
back along the Broad Walk now 
the large clumps of small alliums were humming with bees 





even when they are fading the verbena look fab

I had trouble with macro on these today too 


more impressive clouds over the Orangery


and a final sky shot on the bridge on the way back to the train 



Thanks for looking!  

3 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

just breathtaking Helen... thank you... Hugs! deb

Karen said...

So many fantastic photos! I love the water dragons too ~ So neat that you can get that close.

nanskidrewski said...

Such beautiful photos!What a gift!