Saturday, August 15, 2020

Kew - after the rain

 After the heatwave we had heavy rain yesterday so today there are raindrops on roses - lots and lots of raindrops -  on roses, among other favourite things! 

the empty beds still look strange to me but things are what they are!
but you know I love my raindrops so I was in heaven today
I went to the Evolution garden first  for a change


































round by the pond 
the thalitctrum and their raindrops caught my eye



looking through the gunnera leaves
















I stopped early (9.30) for coffee and cake as I had only had a banana before leaving home


rhubarb crumble muffin today


then walked round the edge of the rose garden


waiting outside the temperate house for 10 o'clock, a huge gaggle of geese came by
these angel trumpets were gorgeous


camellia (tea plant) 

the lake had largely cleared - this end anyhow, you can see in the distance it is still green

weeping birch
it makes a huge curtain 
as you can see

back in the rose garden again




outside the palm house two huge tubs with even bigger hibiscus
the flowers are the size of dinner plates









back out the other side 
the roses between the palm house and waterlily house

I paused before going in as was listening to the radio covering the 2 minutes silence for the VJ Day memorial





once inside

more hibiscus, this one a pale apricot-y yellow colour

lotus flower head



lotus in flower 

into the princess of wales glasshouse now

whilst looking for water dragons (although I don't think this is where they are at present)  I saw a blackbird


and round the corner a robin, but they move too fast
always love my grevillea



back on the Broad Walk

agapanthas  



and a slightly wonky Kew Palace!


I took over 300 photos - mostly with raindrops  ha ha  so think I've whittled them down hugely!



4 comments:

Celtic house said...

Oh I love all the raindrops on the flowers, how utterly beautiful does it make them look. You look like you made the most of your visit to Kew. Your 9.30am snack stop sounds yum too. I hope you've had a good week.

Hugs

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Actually, your opening photo looks like spring rather than late summer. I can only imagine what next spring will bring.

It seemed like everywhere you went there were lots of yellow and purple flowers. You have a thing for that color combination, I can tell. The raindrops on them added to their beauty, too. My favorite photo today may be #42, wit the yellow and purple and the raindrops.

I'm still playing catch up and trying hard to see what I've missed. I'm not a fan of rhubarb, but it makes a very pretty muffin.

Thanks for sharing your day and taking us with you, Helen. And thanks for visiting, even when I couldn't reciprocate. The youngsters checked my blog daily and saw the comments, so thanks for your concern.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous photographs Helen, the flowers are beautiful. I think the Lotus are my favourite but you might have guessed that, anything that is found in water though I have just removed lots of my pond plants as they were getting a bit too big. Pond plants do seem to get carried away once they settle in. you have a lovely creative weekend. Hugs, Angela xxx

Unknown said...

I've just enjoyed sitting looking at your photos with a cuppa and a biscuit and plenty of time on my hands - perfect. The photos are gorgeous and I love the raindrops on them - I should imagine is all smelt very fresh too, I love the smell of rain on grass after a dry spell.
Diana xx