Saturday, September 14, 2019

Kew, with a half marathon

Not by me, obviously!  I had forgotten about it, but the crowds heading for the race entrance as I made my way to my entrance soon reminded me!

So it was anything but a peaceful 8am start, but oh so beautiful...
 it was bright, but chilly to start with before the sun started to warm things up
 Summer Sun was looking resplendent
 as were the cannas
 great reflections from the urns in the water

 the Broad Walk was a popular place for runners to do their warming up exercises and over to the left where the start was, a tannoy relayed the warm up music....
 the echinacea are fading
 I took a right towards the Hive

the light shining through the flowers was stunning
 I bent down to see the gaura more closely
 the remaining wildflowers by the hive are now just seedheads, but beautiful for all that
 I had the longer lens on at the Hive,










but as last time, the phone captures the light perfectly
 walking down the steps the other side of the hive, more seedheads
this is always a favourite September view in the low early light
 in the Evolution garden


 still quite a lot of colour







 I headed round the far side of the pond
 and just after 8.30 the first wave of runners came pounding through
I didn't know the route they were taking (can't remember from last year) so headed past Sapphire Star (which is on the route as there were arrows directing runners)

but it was looking gorgeous with the sun reflecting off it's spikes

the dew was evident on the purple reeds


and again, the phone captured a great shot



 taken through the door,
 I headed for the lake, having to bide my time to cross paths full of runners!



 the reflections were great



as I reached the far side of the crossing I changed my lens, but as I did so a flock of geese flew overhead, so I missed them until they'd landed...dammit!

 I walked up the path on the right side (as I was now facing it)

the surface this end is covered again!
 and at the end on his normal post, the heron was sat looking for an early lunch or maybe a late breakfast!



 I dodged some runners again and headed down cedar vista,
 I could hear drumming off to my right....



so followed my ears
 they were encouraging the runners, and very good they were too

I found them on facebook, they are a drumming group called Stix and are based near Eastbourne (Sussex) but travel to events like this 


 I decided not to try and get through this lot and cross the path but doubled back the other way!
 the Nijima Float glinting

light shining through the Japanese anemones

 I walked back towards the Temperate House
 where a wave of runners was passing (no distance markers so have no idea how far they'd gone)

 the morning was warming up nicely now

 dodged the runners on the path again... was becoming a bit of a feature!





 time for play!  took it with me all over London and it didn't make it out of the bag!


ha ha!!


 I walked up the grass towards the Palm House

past trees turning autumnal
 although this one hasn't changed much since I was here 2 weeks ago

 not sure if they passed the back of the Palm House last year, they may have done



It was nearly 10 so I headed for the cafe and tea and coffee before the general opening and even more people came in!

lemon muffin today











as I threw my rubbish away I noticed this on the bin and grabbed my camera
just in time, before it flew off


 I went into the Waterlily house quickly before it got busy





 the gourds are .... decaying





back outside, a group from Macmillan Cancer were dancing and cheering on the runners (not so many left now so it was easier to get across the paths)


 in the Princess of Wales glasshouse I was rewarded by a water dragon on the top of the pillar
 trying to get a decent view through the branches

 trumpet vines in one of the orchid rooms
 in the cooler orchid room, haven't seen this one for weeks.  sitting on a ledge at the top, I have no idea how it gets up there




 large palm covered in fruit (I assume)


checking on my way down again -  still on the pillar but has moved along a little!



 grevillea




 walked through the Alpine House to see what was new

autumn scilla


so pretty


 so are the colchicum
 and these slightly smaller ones

 back to the Broad Walk,





 to the Temperate House
 I only saw this as a girl was standing photographing it and I looked to see what it was..

(musella lasiocarpa if you need to know)
 clementines still ripening nicely
hibiscus still huge






 tree fern

 they look so different with the plants growing up so much around the Chihuly








 back outside, most of the runners had gone now



it was relatively peaceful again as the music had stopped over the tannoy...

 the Lime Crystal tower sparkling in the sun
I went back to the POW glasshouse before leaving.

found one of the younger ones, on the branch

they are hard to photograph under here with the leaves in the way


 so hard to see too especially sitting with it's back to you



 this one still on it's ledge too
 and round under the mangroves, the one from the top of the pillar is now on the ledge at the back of the pond

good for capturing

 especially as it moved forward out from the greenery


fabulous end to the morning!


thanks for looking again


6 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry I'm late visiting. I'm still reeling from your day in London.

Everything, including the flowers in the pots are growing like weeds. I notice something has gotten larger each time you share your opening photo. Even the morning glories have grown.

I really LOVED how you showed the the POW house and the Alpine house with the sun just over the horizon. That was beautiful.

You may have missed the geese in flight, but the shots of them in the water were beautiful.

Perhaps my favorite shot was # 46 with the overall view of the Nijima Float in the Japanese garden. Great photos of the dragonfly, too. And as always, it was fun to see the Chinese Water Dragons again. And several this time, too.

What a fun day. I am glad you didn't get trampled by the runners and you got some great shots of them, too.

Powdered Toast Man said...

So many wonderful pictures but I could not find Waldo.

new follower.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Just testing to start with C

pearshapedcrafting said...

I think I have earned this visit - been trying to find time to savour you photos for ages! What a fabulous place Kew is! It looks amazing at the moment but I am sure as I head back that I will think that about every post! I will not comment on the posts but come back here if that's OK? So looking forward to this, although I can smell something delicious being prepared so may be interrupted!! Hugs, Chrisx

craftimamma said...

Finally I have caught up with posts! Sorry I haven't commented on all but I have decided Autumn is my favourite season for Kew. The light is just so special and crisp and the colours as so beautiful. Still some really pretty flowers but seemingly more delicate than summer's blousy blooms and with the added beauty of the changing leaves and wonderful reflections on the lakes. Daft I know but it actually brings a lump to my throat I love Autumn so much. Makes me long for a visit to Fountains Abbey in Yorkshire too.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! What a fabulous catch up I had - I hadn't realised I would have to go so far back! I loved the man feeding the swans (years ago when I was pre-teen my Grandad used to feed the swans under a willow tree by the river at the end of his garden - we were only allowed to throw them bread but they used to take it from his hand!) Oh how I wish we could have visited Kew this year with all that fabulous Chihuly Glass - maybe try to fit in a visit before the end of October!!! The water dragons look quite fearsome but clearly are happy around visitors! As ever at Kew, the plants are the stars...apart from your selfies of course!!! I loved seeing your visits to Hampton Court (on our list!) I'm so pleased to see you found the Hidden Cafe in London, just as we did - a fascinating place! Hugs, Chrisx