Saturday, September 28, 2019

Kew - the final early start of the year

A sad day today as the early openings come to a close for another season... and it was pretty dark when I left home at 6.30.. noticeably more so than last week.
this was the "sun" peaking over the houses as I walked down the road (phone pic)



bit better as I arrived at the station

I was hopeful as I snatched this through the train window on the way...
although you know what they say, "red sky in the morning..."


 so finally, my starting shot... the sky was by now just grey, the sun had largely disappeared.



 I went down an empty Broad Walk first as usual




 and then round past the alpine house



 the sky was trying to brighten up
 the salvia border alongside the edge of the Rock Garden



 into the evolution garden
 and the pumpkins and squashes in the vegetable plot, lifted off the damp soil

 lots of varieties of tomatoes, these ones were large!

















they use companion planting to stop pests -
 the tagetes (french marigolds) were gorgeous


 Rudbeckia still looking fab
 especially with the purple next to them

 the robin was foraging for food, but flew off as I tried to get closer
 the trees seem to have turned much more autumnal since last wee





 two swans were preening at the side of the Palm House pond
 back near the entrance, more signs of autumn (this is always a stunning seasonal favourite)  - right by Sapphire Star

rosehips

 I was amazed to see geese seemingly breaking open the horse chestnuts








looks totally different under a cloudy sky, but still impressive

 I headed towards the lake via the path near the treetop walkway


the rain has partly flattened most of the colchicums but there were a few still upright
 walking under the trees that surround the walkway,  lots of colour going on




 at the side of the lake

 these geese seemed to be having trouble achieving lift off!



I walked round the side of the lake and on the other side saw the lady I usually see at the gate, feeding the cygnets..
 even on a dull day, with a clear lake you get good reflections.



 I arrived at the cygnets but my friend had gone


still the whole family of 7

 I walked down Cedar Vista and just past the tiny pond I spied a patch of colour round the side.


some gorgeous dark pink anemones



 berries
 near the Japanese garden,  the acers are wonderful.


the sun tried to come out to light up the Floats

 but the grey behind the Pagoda won out


 more berries

 the refurbished Pavilion restaurant, not open yet, but I went to investigate the colour...


the kept the vines outside from before, as they are really old and always gorgeous at this time of year

 just enough light to make them look fabulous


 so shiny!
 and grapes as well
 as I crossed the grass towards the Lime Crystal Tower (jelly cubes!)

the sun illuminated a patch of leaves on the grass..






 as I said on FB when I posted this, "when you see a pile of leaves, you have to scuffle"


It wasn't only me either, there was another girl (younger than me, but still probably in her 30s) doing the same....





















I headed to the cafe for "breakfast"  - red velvet loaf again and a rather full coffee.



yes, it's disposable.  they charge a premium if you don't bring your own cup to compensate for the single use cup... but they are compostable 

(this was a feature of a FB chat whilst I was there!) 
I need a bigger camera bag, then I can take my own cup!
 the beds at the Palm House as I headed inside
 these were next to a label that said Pandanus balfourii   so I assume this is them



 where it was steamy hot, just being watered!






























time for the Waterlily house



I took these from the low down angle 


 there were lots of flowering waterlilies
 and some long gourds



 I walked round through the rose garden past the back door of the Palm House (just glistening with a streak of sun)








towards the Temperate House



the Icicle Tower looks better today...






 as I looked at the Cypress trees I noticed these webs high up in amongst the leaves



 paper mulberry - think I've missed the best of this! 


 has a gorgeous trunk

 I walked by these again, peeking through the shrubs

 as I headed round the corner, the leaves are turning on the flowering cherry trees, now they match the Chihuly!





in the Temperate House




 the window sills in the connecting octagon, are full of chrysanthemums,  I guess there is a new display coming1


 love these ones

 sad to think this is only going to be here for another month....
 when your plants grow tall, you hose tall! 




 a good view from on top




 as I walked round the front, I could hear a goose...



 walking down the grass back to the Palm House, this smaller one seemed to be saying ..."what you looking at"
 I sat for a few minutes rest




 at the top of the Broad Walk, a shaft of sun hit the two blocks of flats (apartments)
 into the Princess of Wales glasshouse, finally it was time to hunt for water dragons!


first I found a large cactus flowering
 the waterlily pads from the side


no water dragon down this side today
 up top, there was just one large passion flower this week

 managed to get in closer underneath with the phone
found one, sitting on the branch that looks much too small to support him..



 he's using his feet to hang on (and his tail to balance but I couldn't catch that)



As I was taking these, a girl (woman) came up with her own camera (and tripod, how professional!)  and asked if I'd seen any water dragons,  I pointed it out



they really do camouflage well!

I stood aside and let her take her shots - she was there ages, i walked round a couple of times looking for water dragons in the other places we often see them, and both she and the dragon were still there!

 I went on my way


there's a new flush of flowers on the grevillea






 and some yellow ones

 back on the Broad Walk now
 fading beauties...




 love the stems too




 Huge tree turning yellow,  hiding Kew Palace in the background



 at the bed by the exit/entrance




 lots of activity on the river





thanks very much for looking.

next week we all get a lie in as I won't be going out til 8am!!





6 comments:

craftimamma said...

Still lots of wonderful colour Helen. In fact I prefer it to the blousy summer colours. My favourites this week are those beautiful blue and purple berries and the chrysanths but the trees are quite breathtaking even though the weather was so grey. At least you didn't get a soaking!

Hugss
Lesley Xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It must feel sad to have this be the last early morning option this year. To me, the empty Broad Walk says it all. Beautiful view of the Alpine House. Moody photo (that's a good thing). LOVED the view of the pumpkins and squashes. Your robins are SO much smaller than ours.

You did a LOT of walking and took a ton of incredible shots at Kew this final week of early mornings. It's also sad that Kew will soon lose the Chihulys too. Some of these are just starting to look like they belong, while others have belonged from the beginning. Thanks for taking us along today and for taking all the wonderful photos.

Celtic house said...

Oh I can see that Autumn season coming, what beautiful colours on those trees. Loving the pumpkin display and you got a grand photo of the robin.

I hope you are having a good week.

Words and Pictures said...

What a difference a week makes to the light in the morning... I've been noticing it more in the evenings drawing in (not so much for getting up at daybreak at the moment!). I really enjoyed the pumpkins and squashes but oh, oh, oh the berries in this post - all of them, but especially the white ones, and above all the clusters of blue/green/purple... just fantastic. I've pinned them and might try to capture them in watercolour one of these days. Thank you for all the fabulous inspiration.
Alison x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous photos and it's lovely to see how the seasons are changing the look of things. Have a great weekend, Angela xXx

Neet said...

What a contrast in the first four photos showing how the light grows whilst you journey to Kew.
What wonderful shots you have taken of the water dragons this week, look at the colour in their faces. I think the woman was a bit rude to hog the space, especially as you had had to show her where they were.
Love the gourds, if they were not so expensive to buy I would have lots of them lining the steps of the house for Halloween. Maybe I should have a go at growing some for next year.
I would never have known those yellow and red striped flowers were chrysants. What a riot of colour!
One photo which caught my eye was the berries that were blue, pink, purple and green - are they real? Do you know what they are - never seen berries so colourful.
Thanks for the journey,
Hugs, Neet xx