Saturday, September 21, 2019

It feels like summer - Kew

There are just two more early starts available for me to enjoy at Kew before it's back to normal 10am opening  Today was one of them.   Boy, is it still dark at 5.30 when i woke up..
 and the sun was only just starting to venture above the horizon behind the flats as I left an hour later
 but by the time I walked across Kew Bridge another hour later, the sky was glorious though there was a breeze blowing
 8am...
 stunning.

I think September is my favourite month..

after the half marathon last week, it was blissfully quiet this  morning (apart from the Rugby world cup commentary on the radio in my ear!)





 the light was gorgeous this morning and it was already feeling warm

the weeping willow on the other side of the pond has disappeared, I noticed later.  I am sure it was there last week (must look back!)














this one from the phone (too lazy to change lens on the camera)



 "paintbrushes" shimmering


there were quite a few people also in early taking advantage

 always something new to see walking down the Broad Walk

Colchicum at the end of the bed under the shade of a tree
lots more to come





tiny flowers of the verbena

this is one of my favourite views (as I think I said last week too) in September.   the light makes a gorgeous silhouette of the tree and the alpine house
(phone)


 the doors were still shut and I forgot to go back later
 the grass garden was looking gorgeous
 Evolution garden...

lots of colour still


 trees starting to really turn colour now


the acers are always first
 the sky made a fabulous contrast today though



 shadows and dappled light
 reflections... can never resist a reflection..








 I approached these from a different angle today and through some different greenery they were looking better than ever




no dew today, just sparkling sun

 I was using a different setting today for some of the photos to enhance the back light... it really makes the colours pop






 I went through the trees under the treetop walkway (well round the side)  towards the lake



loving the dappled shade everywhere


 at the lakeside
 berries


 as I walked down Cedar Vista by the hydrangeas I noticed what looked like shafts of light.



as I got closer, it was the water from a sprinkler moving in the sunshine
but it looked quite magical!


 the cones on this tree were quite small, unlike the tree which towered many feet above me







 it was already starting to feel quite warm as I reached the Japanese Garden and the lovely Nijima Floats





 another huge tree





 it was just gone 9.40... I was onto my second rugby commenatary





 time to head for coffee and cake!


 i'd been joking at work yesterday saying it was about time they had a new one for me to try..

and here it was...  red velvet loaf.

extremely yummy!



 finishing just after 10 I could now head for the waterlily house...
 a late flush of roses enabled me to get the photo I'd wanted all summer!





 inside the door of the waterlily house are two beds either side of the path through to the inner doorway and the waterlilies..

 they have filled out so much seemingly overnight (7 nights) or maybe I just didn't look last week


back outside one of the rose beds


 walking round the back of the Palm House through the main Rose Garden



even this was looking good today
 I headed towards the Temperate House back past these...
and these... realising they have cut half the grass back round them so you can walk behind them... gives you a totally different perspective

 still roped off, obviously

(phone)



 into the Temperate House




  they'd been watering!




satsumas ripening nicely!


 as I walked through the Temperate House I noticed that the palms and other greenery on the left had been cut back a bit so there was a clearer view....
 of these
 it was lovely to have a more or less uninterrupted view of them from the path

 the yellow reeds were looking good too





 in the opposite bed the palms were still big




 approaching the staircase up





 partway up
 up!




 top of the waterfall
looks good from up top too, without so much growth round them


 walking round the walkway



 looking down at the vine things growing up the pillar by the stairs

 and from the ground

 loved the shadows on the "pear" Ikebana.






 at the end of one of the paths in the centre of the TH is a statue...  they obviously don't dust!







I could hear a robin singing somewhere and kept my eyes peeled.     I noticed it sitting in a shrub but couldn't get a photo, then it flew out....
 and let me just close enough before flying off again

 hibiscus still stunning
 and they've brought in some trumpet vines too




 something else needs dusting!



 I walked back through to the middle






 I went out through the main central door




 pausing at the bottom of the steps




 the arboretum is definitely showing it's autumn colours developing...





 (phone)

my jelly cubes are looking good today



 ah, now here they're dusting!

not sure I'd like that responsibility!






the cylinders look fab..













but got some better ones on my phone


 I love the inner bit


and a pic of the main room as a whole


I think most people were enjoying the sun outside, it was quite empty (apart from the room showing the film)


 outside my favourite autumn tree is turning rapidly!



 I walked back along the path to the Victoria gate entrance again...




 and at the pond it was feeding time...
 urn with Palm House behind...


close up of urn...
full urn....






 but we can't see much of the Palm House...

nope, think the first one is the best, what do you think!





 so let's play..


 it was acting like a magnifying glass for the sun though so it was hot!


 as I came round the corner a mum said to her little boy, look geese coming in...
I turned round just as they landed!


 another walk past the Palm House



 cutting across to the Princess of Wales glasshouse.

this is the tree I showed a bit of earlier, only all of it



 inside under the mangroves, there were a group of people looking

sure enough, a water dragon.

they wandered off, I stayed put for a moment
 from up a step..




but I went back to the bottom again.  it was twitching, about to move....



 in it went
 swam across

and clambered out the other side! 


yay!!  at last I was there to see it

I know this one is a bit blurry but there were no second chances 



 satisfied, I went off in search of any others...



 I found trumpet vines in the cool orchid room.



 loads of them!


 but no more dragons














he had however moved along the wall a bit


 although he was still hiding
 so I went round the other side of the water




 up the steps




 huge passion flower
 some smaller paler pink ones
 coming back through he'd moved again

 yep, my favourite




 Snow Gum eucalyptus tree



huge, lovely bark 


 grasses
The School of Horticulture building was taking part in "Open House" a London wide scheme to open buildings not normally open - it's this weekend.


there were a table full of student's dissertations you could look at



 and some paper products (outside in a gazebo someone was demonstrating papermaking)










note the colourful washi paper



 it was quite busy




 with lots of interesting exhibits





outside a "timeline" of the school



I walked along the edge of the rock garden







 at the top of the Broad Walk towards the Palm House





I walked down the grass behind the beds of the Broad Walk

 as you see things closer than you can from the front (obviously, doh!)








 cutting through to the Broad Walk now




 I was going to stop for an ice cream as it was now quite hot,



but decided I'd just head for home



next week for the last early entry, the weather is meant to be wet (boo!)  but of course I will go anyway!


thanks for looking

5 comments:

pearshapedcrafting said...

I finally got around to posting the promised comment on your previous post and realise I am lucky enough to be first here! What a fabulous day its been - we went off to Styal Mill this morning (Tatton yesterday but photos of that another day!) I took nowhere near the number you took or walked quite so far!!! The light and the colours are so wonderful this time of year - only downer is that night are drawing in! I love the promise that comes with Spring and the fresh greens but I also love the light after the dark of Winter! I shall still Oooh! and Aah! over the Autumn changes though and look forward to that yellowy lok over everything in the Autumn sunshine! I especially loved your roses and head pic today, although that Chihuly glass is still making me long to visit! Hugs, Chrisx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Beautiful early morning shots. I really love how the flowers in the urns coordinate so well with Chihuly's Summer Sun. I always love the Alpine House and the beauty of the "sails." The play on light and dark is gorgeous, even from your phone. I had forgotten how much several of the gorgeous Nijima Floats reminded me of planets. I think that's a great selfie, too. Your top matches/coordinates with your hair color perfectly. Those Chihuly "ferns" in the Temperate House were gorgeous this week. Cutting the flowers/plants back around them sure brought out their beauty.

In images 92 and 93, I didn't realize the flowers were that HUGE. The entire assemblage is much larger than I envisioned it in the several months you shown it in the past. It may just be the perspective, but it is MUCH larger than I originally envisioned it seeing it on a scale with humans.

What a fabulous shot of the robin. Really great to be at the right spot at the right time. And photos 125-9 are definitely my favorites during this trip, although I always love seeing the urns in their full glory.

I enjoyed spending time looking at and reading about the various paper made products in the exhibit. LOVED the paper made from elephant dung.

Thanks for this amazing visit and early morning walk through Kew with you this week, dear Helen.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Forgot to add, the youngsters had a couple of questions from your trip to London, but I didn't write them down, so will have to ask them to e-mail me the questions. Maybe I won't forget this way. We all talk so fast and everyone sometimes talks at once, so I have a tendency to "be in the moment."

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous photos again. I love to see the water dragon what a lucky boy to have such a gorgeous home. Such a gorgeous day for you too. I'm with you I love September, it's often a sunny month but with that slight chill in the air. Hope you got my message about the release paper too. Have a great week, Angela xXx

Words and Pictures said...

Yup, glorious is right! My highlights are the verbena close ups and the berries - especially the dark ones - and of course the grasses and meadow flowers of the Broad Walk - they've got that blousy September look, a slight melancholy of their best days being behind them now. Off to catch up with the latest outing...
Alison x