Thursday, September 12, 2019

A day out in London - but somewhere a bit different

I wanted to spend some time in London during my time off, but wanted to go somewhere a bit different. 

I decided to go to Greenwich, home of the Cutty Sark but also various maritime museums, and of course the Royal Observatory, home of the Greenwich meridian line.  Also, I have never walked through Greenwich Park and knew that there were meant to be great views into London..  so my plan was set (I had another one too, but kept that to myself)

 I arrived in Greenwich around 11 and of course had to photograph the Cutty Sark before I headed for the park

still looking a bit (very) grey but it's not meant to rain...
 ornate gates at the park - although I nipped in the side!


 I walked past the National Maritime Museum
(was thinking about going inside later, although I have visited before)


 walked along the long herbaceous border
 and then walked up through the park to the Royal Observatory
you get some great views even down at this level, of the city in the distance behind the Museum and behind that, the old Royal Naval college (more of that later)



 paths cross the park
 turning back for a view
 views from partway up the hill (it was quite steep as you could see from the bottom)
and this phone pic!

but you can take it at your own pace and

 enjoy the views



 at the viewing platform at the top now -
an engraved sign tells you where all the sights are...not sure you'll be able to read any of them though!

 changed to the longer lens for a closer look




for those not in the know, the thing that looks like a tent is the O2 concert venue





 I decided as I was unlikely to be back for a while to make the most of the views







to go and see the Meridian Line where Greenwich Mean Time starts you have to pay to go into the Observatory.
 I decided to do so, 

couldn't get a photo of this sundial without people walking in the way...

 I collected my audio guide (although I gave up with it as I was listening to the cricket too!) 

and went and found the Meridian Line...


too a few photos as I walked along it...


 here's Greenwich, zero degrees... one foot either side one in the west, one in the east   although my boots are out of sight!

the buildings are gorgeous though

 the Meridian courtyard, full of people doing what I'd been doing on the time line! 
 the first building I went in to  (Flamsteed House) told the story  of the first Astronomer Royal, John Flamsteed,
 as with all museums lighting was kept quite subdued and things are in glass cases so I didn't take loads of photos inside





 but tried to take the information signs too



 running round the centre of this globe are the longitude references and the guide tells you how they measured them



various other displays told the story of early time-keeping and how instruments were developed to measure distance travelled at sea
(it was interesting but I did start to get a bit bored...)


bit fuzzy sorry.



 there is also another viewpoint area






 I was trying to make sure I didn't miss any bits.


this is the "Great Equatorial Telescope"



headed down the stairs - marked exit only... met 3 people coming up!! 

 the London Planetarium. 
I didn't go inside (I think it's free, but I saw a large group of small (5 or 6 year old) schoolchildren heading in......)


 not sure if you can read this - but it tells you about

 ....









the piece of meteorite... 
statue of Yuri Gagarian



 the time ball...  every day at 1pm it drops to announce the time








 I sat on a bench under the shade of this colonnade for my lunch


the former Royal Naval college
 The Queen's House - a former royal residence designed by Inigo Jones...


 what a floor! 

 the Tulip Staircase was fairly impressive too
 a balcony ran round the top of the Grand Hall
 just a few pics from this room - 20th century artwork











 the Queen's House is also home to the famous portrait of Elizabeth I -

the "Armada" portrait



 it's pretty impressive
 as  is the ceiling


 view of the floor from the balcony
 heading back outside, I was now going back to Greenwich centre

the former naval college now forms part of the University of Greenwich - lucky students











this gateway allows you onto the Thames pathway that follows the river for a fair way round...
 views downstream to the O2
 but I was heading back to Greenwich Pier


sails on the Cutty Sark
 now bathed in sunshine
 the second part of my plan involved a river trip back up river rather than going by tube underground


good thing the sun had come out - and a ship was ready to depart, what good timing!



 I got very snap happy (there's a change!)
 as the ship negotiated it's way off the quayside and turned round to head back up river

 a commentary did tell you what some of the sights were

 luxury apartments abound along the river now

 modern ships



 some of the river cruises were going much faster than ours! 

 sailing boats

 rowing boats... you name it, people will sail./row up the river any way they can
 loads of building/refurbishment going on
can't imagine how much these apartments will cost!  but what a view


 still a working river too, it's not all pleasure!




 always worth looking behind too...
 the river used to be lined with wharves like this one, for loading and unloading working vessels with goods from all over the globe.

most of them are now luxury flats
 I love how as the Thames twists and turns, sights appear on the left one minute and the right the next..


colourful gardens










 all too soon Tower Bridge came into view...

my place of disembarkation. (the cruise goes on to Westminster pier)






 not sure what ArtsArk is, but I must look it up, it sounds interesting


 I was trying to dodge the heads - everyone wanted the iconic view of Tower Bridge







 we came under the outer part of the bridge
 it felt close enough to touch!



 as we started to pull into the dock, the Tower came into view
 the bridge from the other side

 HMS Belfast, now a museum ship






I should probably know which bridge this is! 

top of the Shard




 of course I went into the Tower of London for a few minutes.... setting up for a Food Festival (tomorrow till the weekend)  in the Moat

 I was only going in for a cup of tea, in the end I had an ice cream







 a new guard patrol came along...





 after my ice cream I decided to head home, although it was still relatively early I wanted to be out of London before rush hour started so I was guaranteed a seat on the train!



 shame I wasn't here tomorrow, bet the food festival will be good!









I crossed the road toward the Tube station by Trinity Square  garden (found a sign to tell me) - I always admire this memorial from the roadside -

 it is a memorial to Merchant Seamen who died in both world wars



 view of the Tower from the garden
and then it was time to head home.



I am sure this is probably a very heavy photo post, but it had to be done

I really enjoyed the day - best bits - the view from the top of Greenwich Park - lived up to it's reputation and I am so glad I went -   and the river boat trip.


thanks for looking

feet up for the rest of the evening now!!

5 comments:

Sally H said...

Wow! So pleased the weather cheered up for you and you got those amazing views! The river cruise looks great. Beautiful photos and you definitely deserve to put your feet up! x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Ok, I'm hooked and I haven't even enlarged my first photo. I have always wanted to see the Cutty Sark AND see the Greenwich Meridian.

When I saw all that open green space, I thought of castles in the countryside, but the beauty of the London skyline in the background betrayed that. Mostly, I saw lots of cranes and unfinished buildings. It was certainly a lovely walk up that hill. I really enjoyed the view at the top, though.

On busy days at some museums it's very frustrating because you can't get people to move so you can get a good view. That sundial was beautiful, though. How fascinating to see the honest to goodness Meridian Line. I see Wichita, KS isn't shown (GRIN). Fascinating to see it and the buildings, too.

It's hard to get good photos when the displays are under glass. I applaud you for getting such clear ones. I was really impressed with the Astronomical Quadrant. I obviously wasn't as bored as you, I guess.

I was definitely able to read the line drawing. I take it the "Swiss Re" is the Gherkin?

That Great Equatorial Telescope is out of this world. I really enjoyed reading about it, too. I guess a planetarium is a planetarium. They all look the same inside, except for the telescope and dome.

I was able read parts of the story of the meteorite, but I was REALLY able to see the age of the meteorite.

I'm confused. What did Yuri Gagarin have to do with England?

I take it this Queen doesn't go to the Queen's House. I agree that the staircase is adorable.

When I was making the Kings and Queens AB for my friend Kathy, I had one of those images of Queen E wit the Armada. I did research and there was SO much symbolism in her dress, much less the battle being waged and won behind her.

What is the O2? I know I can look it up, so I guess that was rhetorical. I take it you aren't allowed on the Cutty Sark or there was a fee, perhaps?

I enjoyed the river views, but the luxury apartments with their very different and unique balconies caught my eye. I promise NOT to ask what's on that barge!

Lovely views of the Tower Bridge. It was fun to see the Tower and the moat, although it looked SO much better when all the poppies were there.

I enjoyed it as much as you, I think. It was a wonderful trip and you took enough photos I didn't feel like I missed too much. Thanks for this day, dear.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Helen, great photos. It's so nice to visit somewhere different. We've not been to London for ages. That staircase looked a bit more than fairly impressive but then I have a thing for staircases and stained glass windows too, old or modern just love them all. I can well understand you being ready for a rest but it looked like a nice day all round including the weather. Have a great weekend, Angela xXx

Celtic house said...

That looks like a fabulous trip, what amazing places to visit. I always genuinely think cities look better from a distance!

I hope you've had a grand week

Hugs

craftimamma said...

What a wonderful post Helen! I am so glad it you walked up that hill for us, lol. I don't think I would have made it but the views were stunning. I'm ashamed to say I'm not really that familiar with a heck of a lot of my country's capital city, tut tut, so it was almost unrecognisable to me from the top of the hill. There are so many amazing photos that picking a favourite would be impossible but the Tulip Staircase and that breathtaking floor in The Queen's House have to be two top contenders.

Thanks for using all that energy and shoe leather on our behalf. I really enjoyed this post.

Hugs
Lesley Xx