It's back to 10 am opening sadly until May so it was a later start .
It was a pleasant start to the daythe beds at the Palm House are starting to fade now especially the dahlias, I imagine before long they will be emptied (they've had advance help from some badgers according to signs up)
I took a brief walk through the nearly empty Palm House (ahead of it's forthcoming renovation) whilst Kim headed to the lake
it was very humid as ever in there and the floor quite wet so a bit slippery and I was being very careful - don't want to break another limb!
this was from just inside the main doors again as I went round the outside before heading to the lake
seem to have taken this "on the wonk" again Kim....
pausing with Henry's on way to the lake
I was nearby the acer beds so went to check some colour I could see
the changing colours change the way the Henry's appear
I was trying to avoid getting another visitor in shot (the trouble with 10 am opening)
I like that you can see the other Henrys from a distance
near the lake, the Lockerbie air crash memorial bench
I joined Kim and sat down and just missed with the camera, the heron flying in to join us...timing is everything!!
it's a juvenile one
but he was happy enough
the female of the swans came along too
the heron was walking around quite a lot, the angle of the sun was playing havoc with the shots
I was still only carrying the one lens so no long zoom still
love how the beak disappears when they look at you front on!
love how the beak disappears when they look at you front on!
we'd been joined by Peter and another couple of visitors who were entranced by the heron
I got up for a different angle
not much sun so the reflections weren't great today
there are some trees turning colour from autumn not just drought-stress
looking along the crossing
up towards the pine trees
we headed for the Pavilion cafe for a drink before it got too busy
passing rowan trees some of which looked very sad from the drought
it was nice though - tons of froth on top, more froth than milk...
at the cafe
the crow seemed to have been waiting for us to come back by..
more berries
hydrangea near the small pond
I brought a cake from home..
the crow seemed to have been waiting for us to come back by..
more berries
hydrangea near the small pond
it's been a bad year for them, in the drought but there were some still gamely blooming
this was a pretty one, pink on the top, green inside
this was a pretty one, pink on the top, green inside
at this juncture Kim and I parted ways as I wanted to head to the alpine house and home and she was staying on
the man moved at the wrong time and got in the way!
salvia border along the rock garden - I debated going along this way
I crouched down a bit to get the tree over the top of the Henry. It definitely seems to have been placed here to mirror the shape of the tree
back at the pond at Palm house
salvias in the bed at top of Broad Walk
outside the Princess of Wales conservatory
quick walk through the POW - giant waterlily
passionflower near the far exit
outside alpine house, the mountain agave still growing and not yet flowering . wonder how long they'll tease us that it is close to flowering for!!
salvias in the bed at top of Broad Walk
outside the Princess of Wales conservatory
passionflower near the far exit
outside alpine house, the mountain agave still growing and not yet flowering . wonder how long they'll tease us that it is close to flowering for!!
edit. just after publishing the blog I saw a clip on FB about the agave, saying growth has slowed down and they expect it to go dormant over winter and flower in spring.... keep watching!!
alpine house,
alpine house,
nerine
one clump of rudbeckia hanging on
I walked through the shop on my way to the exit which is stocked with Christmas goods (nearly bought a bar of sticky toffee pudding flavour chocolate but left it for another day...)
Thanks for looking - see you next week. I may try and carry another lens next week, will see how the wrist goes - need to keep doing my exercises the physio gave me on Monday.
It's definitely not as sore this week and I've been back at work full time - it aches at the end of the day from not bending well to use the computer, but by Friday was a lot less painful.
thanks!

No comments:
Post a Comment