Saturday, September 26, 2026

Kew again - finally

 Hi, after a long gap caused by my broken wrist I was able to get back to Kew today for the last of the Saturday member early entries. No way was I missing that!   I even took my camera, although only the 18-55 mm zoom as I can't manage the other bigger heavier ones in the rucksack yet. 

It was SO good to be back...

blue skies and sunshine, too!

Kim headed to the lake but I had a wander, having missed the last 4 weeks (it feels like more)




lots of shadows in front of the Palm House 



the early sunlight was gorgeous 




I headed round the back of the Palm House past the rose garden where a very grey-haired fox was on the grass 

not having a longer zoom I couldn't get closer 

 I tried with the phone but they didn't come out very well either 


headed towards the lake to find Kim,  catching up with some of the Henry's


more shadows

as I reached the bench where Kim sat, I noticed the heron right up close to her so kept my distance
I did regret not having the longer zoom, but had to make do with what I had.... 


I left Kim again at the lake and carried on with my re-acquaintance of Kew

we agreed to meet for our free member tea shortly 
I crossed the lake, stopping to chat to a regular who knew about my wrist from the last time I was here.  












 


I headed towards the treetop walkway


there's a tree stump near the lift, and often you find funghi growing 

enjoying the light through the trees and uprights of the treetop walkway

at the junction of the path, looking at the Temperate House


did some crouching down for low-level photos but did have to be careful as only have one hand I can really lever myself up again.   did ok though

there were some lovely cloud patterns


checking out the Henry in front of the TH


then along the path towards the gallery

and some autumn colour






and one of my favourite Henry's



this tree near the winter garden is an autumn favourite - taken from the path through the winter garden 



back at the closest Henry to the Victoria gate entry



colour appearing on the tree here too


we had a closer look again later









I made my way back past the palm house and bumped into our friends Patrick and Joyce who were heading for their free tea - I agreed to catch them up in a bit



after first checking out the Mountain Agave that Kew has been posting on socials about 


it is about to flower- for the first and only time and the plant will then die


it doesn't look especially ready to flower yet but we'll see 


the alpine house, right next to the agave, was already open so walked through 


before walking through the rock garden to return to meet P&J
pausing at the pond 


as I joined them with my tea (and cake I had brought from home) Kim arrived too so we all sat and chatted 




before Kim and I then walked back past the pond

towards the evolution garden and rock garden 
strawberry tree



there were a lot of second (or third) flush roses in the evolution garden 



we crossed to the other side of the EG to check on "Phyllis"










and looking through the gap in the hedge to the far end of the EG - where the asters and helenium are ;  but didn't go that way today.

I think most of them other than the asters, are over now
strawflowers in the vegetable garden

sun through cosmos petals

marigolds
still some sunflowers left in the veg beds

the squashes and pumpkins have been harvested and displayed
lots of varieties 

autumn crocus in the rock garden 
Kim wanted to check on the agave since she was there earlier in the week 

there were a few other visitors checking it out


outside the Princess of Wales conservatory.  no label 

they had just opened so we went in 


not many orchids other than in the display cases this week 









we left through the arid section 

I was hoping the cobwebs would come out

outside the POW 
nearby the callicarpa is - I was going to say flowering, but that's wrong!!  - covered in berries 

the group of 3 Henry's near the Broad Walk junction 



other side of the Broad Walk, another agave flowering 

this one doesn't die afterwards though!

















cork oak 

lovely texture on the trunk

I'd seen some fabulous funghi that Kim had found last time she was here -  we found it again

towards the far boundary of Kew near the river












blogger is messing now but I can't be bothered to re-order the pics
after we'd been to the woodland - no sign of Goldie today
trees and patterns 
tangle of branches near the first mass of funghi. 













another clump of funghi 







it was very impressive!

quick walk through the Temperate House

lots of trumpet vines flowering

beautiful birch trees in the winter garden 


on the way back towards the exit






and to finish, the tree at the temple of Bellona as promised for a closer look at the leaves turning colour 


thanks for looking - I have really missed Kew and it was fabulous to be back.

see you next week, all being well!







No comments: