Saturday, February 3, 2024

Kew - it's Orchid time!

 Hi, as promised it's orchid time again - this year's country featured is Madagascar.  

I wasn't first in the queue this week as the orchid festival is very popular and I had my now customary coffee and croissant at the cafe close to the station first.  

Once I did get to the gates, I was chatting to a lovely couple over from Belfast and was pleased later to see them again and they'd been able to get walk up time slot to see the orchids.

I did manage my normal opening shot before heading to the Princess of Wales conservatory... Enjoy the orchids!


the displays start as soon as you go through the main entrance

I didn't pause to take pictures of the information boards today will do so next time! 

I was swapping between lenses all the time as here is no easy way to double back on your route 
as always the team who puts the displays together had been having fun with the wildlife of the chosen country.   There were lots of lemurs

so cute!




this was the big bird I'd taken sneak peak pictures through the outside last time.





and a couple on the phone - I thought I had taken more on the camera







and another lemur







into the main part of the POW - lens misting up of course 


this is taken down the steps by the side of the pond, closer access was denied

the main feature in the pond  from a slight side angle 






a bat (I think) flying in front of the main feature 

you have to keep your eyes peeled for "critters" everywhere !






a willow animal by the edge of the pond

a snake winding round the display




on the other side of the pond, by the steps to the upper level (also access denied, no upper displays again this year) we came to several chameleons....


there were some small ones too!  

closing in on the back of one 



they were almost as much fun as the lemurs!
then some close ups in hanging baskets and tubs














there were the usual arches here and there - this one across the next set of steps to the upper level 
part of one of the uprights on an arch

the ferny bit between 2 zones in the POW   no hiding animals in here this year
then another pillar
tubs of orchids 






  this is another arch just before you go through to the cool orchid room



the sign by this asked if you could see a giraffe small enough to fit on a leaf (from the photo it must be some kind of bug. I did take a photo of that sign but it's blurry, will do again next week!


high on the wall by the entrance to the cool orchid room -  a colourful butterfly

lots of people seemed to be going by without looking 

one on the phone 

I didn't have the macro lens on at this point

another arch, in the cool orchid room
I didn't really want the flash!


more wildlife,  a giant moth (I assume, given the duller colours )

it's hard to remember to look rather than just take pictures...

when I got to in front of it  


in the next room 




then into the area where they have the titan arun lily (except during orchid time)

another HUGE butterfly, swaying gently on it's wires 
you get a better view in a second....










only I seem only to have taken one on the phone!




more pillars (these were the giraffes last year)


more lemurs  (at least I think they're all lemurs)

on the other side of the path in the small pond

these were high up and the light angle wasn't good


the final few arches as you head towards the cool desert bit of the POW and the exit....

this white one was lovely



it was impossible not to get people in the way







then there was a pinky red one, equally lovely




from the other side before I went into the arid area




this is the part of the arid area they're redeveloping, now I see why they've left it unplanted until now.


FYI I only saw 2 but I bet I missed some

the first one was easy, right by the sign
this bit shows the work Kew are doing in Madagascar




the second one I saw! 

looking back along the display
then into the room that is the exit - once again the exit this year is what is normally a fire escape 


final hanging basket before heading outside



I really enjoyed this year's exhibit, especially the fun lemurs and the chameleons but the orchids themselves are great too!  

I went along the path towards the hive


blossom coming out now on lots of things.

this is viburnum
and fluffy pussy willow


back on the Broad Walk

the hellebores have recovered 





bedding in front of the palm house as I went by

lichen covered ash tree 
crocus are starting to flower all over the place now

at the lake,   
more fluffy willow, this one is a musk willow apparently
it was very pretty and makes me feel spring is coming

there was someone along the other side of the lake further along attracting the wild birds today!
as I crossed the lake crossing this gull sat patiently waiting for me 

but I missed him squawking! 
from further away I thought this was another willow but as I went down the bank to check it was totally different, the label has Alnus firma as it's name 


heading ny the Treetop walkway
large drift of snowdrops under trees

the planted area (there are daffodils and crocus in this bit too) is roped off so people don't trample them, so no close ups!


into the Davies exploration house opposite the Temperate House


my lovely silver daisy bush flowers are opening well 


didn't have to stand on the wall yet

into the Temperate House from the halfway point

I was surprised - though probably shouldn't have been - to see lots of the daffodils in the tubs have opened since last week 
the scent was delicious

time to crouch down

I walked round the viewing platform 












looking down below  
from the steps down 

tendrils - hanging over the steps as you descend



the flash insisted on firing!

the tamarillo tree tomatoes are ripening. 

my favourites! African Hemp
















erica


the blurry bit at the bottom is a leaf I couldn't keep out of the way
almost looked like blue sky (it wasn't!)


I was feeling peckish so headed to the Pavilion restaurant for a loo break and food but they've tweaked the menu and there aren't snacky things like cakes now so left again

instead walked across past the gallery outside which is the latest International Garden Photographer of the \year winners (some excellent pictures)

before gong to the Winter Garden
which was gorgeous again

crouching down to get the yellowy white hellebores at the foot of the slope


winter aconite
deep purple hellebores

snowdrops (I realised at this point I'd not been to the alpine house or rock garden after coming out of the POW  - next week!) 

daphne -  I leant over to check for the scent this week, and it was lovely!  
bright dogwood

down the slope to the helloebores 
bit blurry,  drifts of snowdrops, couldn't see what the dark leaves were 
witch hazel at the top of the slope


close up of the stem of the dogwood -  lovely
skimmia (my dad used to grow this) 
down low for another hellebore
edgworthia - there was a big yellow variety too but I blurred that one



I walked back to the exit down Camellia Walk without pausing for photos,




in the cafe I was going to eat, but it was mid-day and a decent length queue so left it



and headed home instead


thanks for looking - see you next week!  

1 comment:

Celtic house said...

Wow the orchids are stunning as always, love the additions to highlight the selection red country. I also love the winter garden, the aconite and hellebores are lovely and the vibrancy of the witch Hazel stunning xxxx