Saturday, February 17, 2024

Kew and the orchids - week 3

  Time to head back to Kew. 

I've just managed to post this to the wrong blog  so am doing a speedy re-do! (put it on stampingbyh by mistake, about to delete that one) 


A surprise too as Kim was able to make it too.  It's been a long time (October) but she's managing on one crutch now so a hand free for photography...



we took it slow and steady






"big bird" 



















even on wide angle, I couldn't get the full display in the pond in view 







we were both having misting problems 













close up of the chameleon tail








love the deep purple ones 





as you walk through from the tropical section through the ferny corridor this rhododendron was magnificent
the aye-aye is just next to them 





then some tubs of orchids in what is normally towards the other exit (but currently closed off for the one-way route through) 







the arch at the doorway to the next room


the plants in the arches are growing during the weeks...













the big butterfly



















not sure he looks that graceful!

we were both taking surreptitious shots..
but I spotted her taking this one!

the arches - very popular so we couldn't wait for them to clear of people







the camera has trouble reading yellows, this one is fairly accurate 





in the desert section now near the finish





this time I swapped to the phone for speed














we headed to the Alpine House

past a cut back grass garden 




these are so teeny
so are these








aloe in the rock garden
blossom starting... over the entrance to the evolution/veg garden
delicious scent on this edgworthia

daffodils.... spring! 
and lots of crocus again


witch hazel near the pond


strange bark on a tree 

the "weeping" cherry tree is budding 




heading down camellia walk








winter garden - full of colour and lots of hellebores

more edgworthia





crocus on the way to the Temperate House

in the temperate house

we came across a load of beautiful funghi behind the weaterfall bit near the tree ferns







blogger starting to reverse orders...  can't be faffed to  change it,, never mind!





















the big yellow daffodils looked as if they were going over from a distance but close up they look fine still










my absolute favourite that last week I said I'd always called silver daisy bush, from it's days in the main temperate house, but that label stayed there and this is called 
coronidium elatum (everlasting daisy)  so I must have been mistaken all these years
I clambered onto the little wall edging the bed 






it's so nice to have Kim back!!


out last stop was the lake as Kim had been missing the wild birds

we sat on the bench Peter feeds them from, he'd been there before by the signs of leftover food on the ground

looking across the island to the crossing
this gull flew across my line of sight too fast for me


That's it for today,  when I got home Kim said we'd walked 9000 steps (4 miles)  - we often do more, but pretty impressive on her one good leg!

thanks for looking, see you next week. 

I was a bit rushed re-doing this version so there's less commentary!!  

2 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had to go back to the first week to see where the orchids were from. Since I didn't see you mention they were from Madagascar, I went to the Kew site for the info.

I can't begin to believe how many styles of orchids there are. And of course, I love the lemurs. Those tubs of orchids are incredible and the arches are amazing. The chameleons were definitely not to be missed.

Sp glad to see Kim made it and I love the photos she took of you. And you were smiling in one, too!!!

Loved the tiny flowers in the Alpine House, possibly my favorite house of all. Thanks for sharing these beauties and sorry I have been remiss in visiting, dear friend.

Celtic house said...

Ah I'm so glad that Kim is back at Kew, it must be nice to have a wander and chat about what you are seeing. The orchids still looking amazing.

Loving the outdoor shots, the fungi is amazing, what stunning colours.

Hugs