Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Kew - unfortunately

 This isn't the post  that was meant to be, or  that I alluded to yesterday .  I had a ticket on a coach trip for Kew members that was going to Wakehurst, their country site near Haywards Heath.  Only I missed it.... I made the stupid decision to go by bus not train and got stuck in the most awful traffic...I was keeping Kim updated on my way... but was 15 minutes too late...  I had only got to Richmond when Kim advised me the coaches were departing...

So rather than turn straight round and go home (although I felt like it).... here's Kew.  

it was muggy but cloudy...
my mood was stormy and I wasn't really in the mood... too angry with myself!  


I had got on the bus at home at 7.12 and arrived outside my usual entrance (not where the coaches were going from) at 9.45.... that's a crazy amount of time.  

I very nearly went home at this point.... 
I went in a different direction to usual
salvia border along the rock garden

it was very quiet - just about 10, so the public would be coming in, 
but because I had been expecting to spend the day chatting with Kim I hadn't brought my headphones to listen to anything as I walked round.

actually, that was really nice!  

I did the evolution garden from the other end,  
these did make me smile again today, though




the student plots were once again locked, I think that they must be doing that to prevent people helping themselves to the produce.  If so, that's really sad, 

so had to content myself peering over the fence again

pine tree outside the POW
walked round the POW a different order too


the orchid room was accessible today

had obviously just been watering them


saw this odd looking plant at the top of the steps to the upper level in the POW
didn't notice the label

went through the door from the upper level into the desert section


sat on the stairs to take this one



quick wander through the carnivorous plant  room, though obviously these are passionflowers 

alpine house 



















the alpine house has gone autumnal 

in the rill outside the POW 
waterlily house




Palm House.... 
canna lilies, Palm House parterre.  blogger reversing time...




inside the Palm house 







I stopped for a cup of tea.  had my hot cross bun that was meant to be breakfast on the coach - wasn't in the mood for cake proper!  



then headed off again
looking up towards the temperate house, the trees are on the turn
a pop of colour in a bed near King William's Temple caught my eye 
its been re-planted this year too

steps down towards the TH

these were covered in bees and insects
I'd taken the other zoom today for Wakehurst, so made myself use it,  


but soon went back to the macro lens lol 
the north octagon is also being emptied for the new autumn "event"  so there was less in there even than yesterday

I do like their big pots though (Julia, can't get them on the bus, sorry!) 
they were cutting these back yesterday but seem to have stuck some of the long stems into the ground. or maybe i wasn't looking properly.

(still so annoyed with myself!)  

some sections had barriers up for "men at work"

doing some pruning 
outside again, heading towards the Japanese gateway,  past these lovely trees


this is a sorbus,  Japanese Rowan

loads and loads of berries 







on the grass near one of the rowan trees was this bird  - a green woodpecker.  

it stood there eating something out of the grass for a while then I turned round and back, and it had gone
bloody blogger...  

more berries.



lots of cones on the pine trees 















the huge liquidamber tree by the path that runs round the Japanese garden is slowly starting to turn..it's always a beauty

another look at the japanese rowan



there are 3 large square seats at the edge of the Japanese garden


I laid down and rested... it was about 11.45 and my mood was slowly starting to lift...
the peace and quiet helped...
these are taken from my prone position!

phone 


the large rucksack comes in handy occasionally



I stayed there like that for about 10 minutes 

before walking up towards the lake



a pop of colour on this tree I've forgotten what it is)  took me under the branches...



the cygnets were in the water at the far end of the lake
seemingly splashing around and trying out their wings 
I walked down to the crossing

off to the side of the path near the Treetop Walkway, we saw it yesterday but it seems to have intensified in "orange" overnight! 
I was NOT in the mood to climb up the walkway
instead headed back along a different path


love this tree trunk


and had a good scuffle in the crispy fallen leaves under this plane tree


another lady (her husband was trying not to)  did the same... she was at least as old as me,  

the sound was fabulous!  scrunch crunch... lovely scuffles... 
headed back along the path to the rose garden
and down the Broad Walk for home...

I kept this end of the Broad Walk for last today,  


they make me smile as I said in the evolution garden



I was looking for that tiny snail again, as Kim caught it in one of her photos yesterday.



near the exit - the Elizabeth gate, for the train, where I was meant to have caught the coach from earlier.







but the disastrous day wasn't done with me yet...

I headed across Kew Bridge in time for a train.

Was surprised to find one at the platform ready... was sure it would pull out before I got down the steps...
except the driver asked me where i was going, as they'd been sat there an hour and not moved -  signal problems stopping all trains in the area..

Back outside and across the road back the way I'd just come, for the BUS home... 
just had time for this picture of the river as a bus came round the corner... about the only good think all day!


the river looks totally different on this side of the road.


traffic home was kind to me and although I had to run for the second bus, I was home in good time....

not sure I can face going ANYWHERE tomorrow... unless by foot.

thanks for looking 
see you soon!



6 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Sorry the day didn’t go as planned . Gorgeous photos, I enjoyed seeing them 😘😘😘

My name is Cindy said...

So sorry your day didn't go as planned. but thanks for the beautiful photos!! xx

Anonymous said...

Ooh thats such a shame, hopefully uou can get there another time. Lovely photos from kew though and yes those leaves are turning more orange.
Kyla

Anonymous said...

Oh bloody traffic, I dont think you can really be. Ross with yourself about taking the bus, after all, it’s not unusual to do that is it, just plain bad luck. I mean, if I can forgive you for not managing dirty great terracotta pots on the bus, you should forgive yourself too! I
Love the photos of course, lovely to see your prone self…if I’d dated to stay like that for more than five minutes I might well have nodded off!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Although the day wasn't as planned, you still took some marvelous photos at Kew. Being unplugged can sometimes be fun. I hope it lifted your spirits because your photos sure did mine.

Celtic house said...

Oh what a pain with the traffic,I hope the wander around Kew helped alleviate the mood xxxxx