Saturday, September 23, 2023

Kew- first day of autumn


Today marks the start of autumn, and it was proper chilly to start with, but bright.

 I had no-one to chat to today as Kim has broken her ankle and is waiting an operation to fix it...

lots of shadows in the early light -  this is the penultimate 8am opening 

my opening shot is a bit of a cheat this week as this is the first one!  the vines over the entrance were gorgeous!




for the first time I had to wear a jacket - it did get warmer later.


had a change of hair colour at the hairdressers yesterday, after several years of red!  



ok, back to the Palm House pond...
as Kim's neighbour told us last weekend, some of the Parterre beds are being emptied... the geese are checking out the turned over soil...

shadow selfie of a different kind
and me, still well wrapped up

heading down the Broad Walk 


some parts were in shade




cutting round the back of the beds,  the grass was very wet so my boots started to get wet
but the sun on the helenium made up for that

the far end of the Broad Walk the rudbeckia drifts are still in full bloom



then round past the orangery

huge trees, 
I had turned to check the cones - it's covered 
the monkey puzzle was covered in webs again (still) 
was able to get some in the sun

alpine house from the end of the grass garden
the light was gorgeous this morning 


especially through the thin petals of the Japanese anemones

neat grass balls!  
Kim and I always admire this where the grass glimmers in the sun - the photos don't often do it justice,  

not bad today



the bulrushes by the waterlily pond are very fluffy now

still a couple of beds with some flowers in, in the student plots
taken through the fence again
the sunflower border along the vegetable garden - they are starting to fall over a bit now, but there are still masses of flowers


into the evolution garden to check on the physalis 
the eryngium are just spiky brown seedheads but still very striking
light through dahlia petals

asters in the sun with raindrops... magic


the sun on these ..... perfect

more asters 




as I got back to the pond, I took some more shadows 
then headed round the rose garden and off towards the lake













partway along I noticed a couple looking at the base of a tree
as I got closer I noticed one of the foxes in the sun - as i moved in a bit, he sat up a bit more

on my way to the lake I made sure to look out for autumn tree tones!





the sun was warming up now, which was nice

lots of holly berries


approaching the lake crossing, looking to my left to the Palm house
great reflections at the lake of course 


as usual I couldn't be bothered to change lens so gotthe phone out


looking in the other direction, the sky is so blue

I backtracked on myself away from the lake, 

palm house hidden in the trees
and headed off to look for the acers which i thought would be colourful...








then of course blogger is messing with the order I took.  





then I took the path towards the Temperate House


the colchicums that were standing proud last week have been battered by wind and rain this week, 
lots of them grow under holly trees

the door to the Davies exploration house was open, so had to check out our favourites








the temperate house is closed until next weekend whilst they install the autumn "festival"  called Queer Nature.  I couldn't resist a look through the windows. 


then I walked back up towards the Palm House again 





it ws quite warm now so easily able to sit outside - new cake choice this week, a Cherry Danish, and hot chocolate.

the vegetarian sausage roll flavour was different too (spinach and ricotta) and they had scotch eggs (hate them) available too.

I didn't want much as I have come down with a cold so not up to eating lots 
quick walk through the Palm House after sitting in the sun for a while


outside the waterlily house is a handerchief tree, which is now dripping with these 
as I entered the waterlily house it was empty..



took a quick walk round the pond

the were a few waterlilies flowering, but it seems they're in an in between stage this week
across the grass to cross the Broad Walk 






and into the Princess of Wales conservatory where there was one bloom on the big cactus





a little further along were some yellow flowers

the flower on this has finished but it was glowing in the sun through the windows



into the rainforest seciton



just a couple of these left hiding under the leaves on the tree (have forgotten to look up the name again)

Kim will be so mad to miss this -it's the passionflower variety Kew Gardens hanging near the exit and we've been waiting for it to flower all summer!
they were high up so awkward to get, and only a couple in flower.  
maybe next week they'll be better



then along to the alpine house





rock garden


walked along the edge of the rock garden along Salvia border.


my cold was starting to make itself felt so I had had enough






callicarpa (I think) berries
am having trouble with blogger and the photo spacing.. sorry















end of the Broad Walk, trying to get the butterfly


I headed for the train  -  it was running on time and I made it home having caught the connection this time, in quick time.


now it's time to put my feet up and nurse my head cold!

thanks for looking. see you soon.  


1 comment:

Celtic house said...

A lovely blue skies visit to Kew gardens, I hope Kim is OK, a broken ankle doesn't sound much fun at all. The autumnal colours now in full force, but then as you said first day of autumn so I support it should be permitted. Loving the shot of the sleeping fox, I thought it was a statue at first. Your cafe stop sounds lush, hot chocolate and cherry danish - lovely.

Hope you have a good Sunday and week ahea

PS loving the new hair colour!

Hugs

xx