Friday, June 23, 2023

Week off day 5 - back to London

 Day 5 but I had a day at home so  post 4.  I decided last minute to go to London to visit the newly re-opened National Portrait Gallery.

I got the tube from Victoria to Westminster, and before I walked up to the gallery snapped Big Ben quickly... 
couldn't keep the traffic out of the shots
then it was round the corner and a short walk up Whitehall  (this is the HMRC building) 


the Cenotaph

Downing Street behind the gates 
statues from the War - Montgomery
 
Haig
Horseguards 
approaching Trafalgar Square, Nelson, still on his column!  


the traffic was mental!  

roadworks. Admiralty Arch  leading to the top of the Mall was closed to traffic
it wasn't as hot as yesterday (yet) and the sky a bit grey..


waiting to cross the road to Trafalgar Square, it was evident I wouldn't be able to walk through it as normal 

It was being set up as a fan park for a MLB game that's being played at (I think) the Olympic stadium (now home to West Ham)  tomorrow.   


from the steps of the National Portrait Gallery

the website encourages you to pre-book tickets (it's free, apart from some specific exhibitions) but they also have turn up access which is what I was doing.

It only re-opened yesterday after a major re-fit, it's been closed for about 3 years I think

it wasn't as busy as I thought it would be - although I was fairly early


I have been inside before, and do remember this gorgeous tiled floor 
I didn't take many photos inside, although you are allowed to

got to love a bit of Monet 
Georges Suerat 
I really liked this one 
there were lots of names I didn't know!
obviously Van Gogh,  there was a crowd round this with some people taking selfies of themselves in front of it.....
Charles I by Van Dyke
Vemeer  ( I watched a documentary about a Dutch Vemeer exhibition being set up recently, it was fascinating)  


Leonardo da Vinci

took this on the phone as they keep the room extra dark to avoid too much light exposure so the camera wasn't happy
hopefully you can read this explanation about the painting




after that I didn't take any further photos but just wandered through the rooms 
over the stairs down the the lower gallery and cafe
explanation
back outside I walked round the other sides of Trafalgar Square -  these are on the 4th plinth (the statues on this one change every now and then, but I couldn't get in to find out what it was about)

another view of the second fountain - they were testing the sound system and there was lots of bustle!

I left them to it and found the way through Admiralty Arch 
at the far left side 
from the other side 
no idea what they're doing!  


it did mean that the far end here of the Mall was empty of traffic so I could look down towards Buckingham Palace


looking across Horseguards Parade - the London Eye in the background.

they were still taking down the temporary seating from the recent Trooping the Colour  so there were barriers up and I didn't bother going further this way


I went into St James Park that runs alongside the Mall and bought a cup of tea and sat on the grass to drink it (no spare benches and there was shade from a tree)


walked down The Mall to Buckingham Palace - it's not far -  

flags up on the flagpoles 
the roads round the Victoria Memorial are wide, and normally full of traffic, but they had barriers up all along the way with only occasional gaps at traffic lights to cross... much safer, but means you can't just dash across!




as I waited at the lights to cross the road, i took a photo of the end of St James Park, it's very green and pretty


having negotiated the road I walked the short distance to Buckingham Palace

Victoria Memorial gleaming gold in the sun
the last time I was here was of course September just after Queen Elizabeth died, but there were no TV crews this time to catch me! 


I decided I had done enough walking this week so crossed back over the road and took the route back to Victoria Station - it's only about 10 minutes
I paused here and there for some modern architecture (which unlike our  new King I quite like) 















and there I was at the station

huge departure board, it's been upgraded since I was in London in September
I had just missed a train (story of my life) but the next one came in and I could find a seat till it was ready to leave.



Thanks for looking, again!  a short trip, with not many photos for a change!
Saturday tomorrow which only means one destination!! 

2 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Ah, Big Ben is beautiful, even with the traffic in it. It's great to see it in its returned glory.

I always enjoy the Cenotaph. I remember when the Queen decorated it every November.

It's amazing how your PM's home is so open and close to visitors. Nothing like the security of the White House.

Had to laugh at your comment about the traffic being mental. Welcome to the big city, Helen!

Amazing our MLB teams are playing in London and it's FREE to get in!! You'll never see that in the states. Not ever!

LOVED the Suerat. I got to see the entire piece in Chicago at their Art Gallery. And it's no surprise the Van Gogh is so popular. I also like Vemeer. A great da Vinci, too. You found some awesome art.

What a view of Buckingham Palace. I saw that same view when the King was crowned and when the queen died. Totally AWESOME.

Loved the photo of you in the grass. I take it you are like me and like to wear dresses/skirts rather than pants.

St. James Park must be beautiful, especially this time of year.

Glad to see you made it to Buckingham Palace again. I am also fond of some of that modern architecture. I'm a big fan of glass, too.

REALLY enjoyed this trip to London. Thanks for sharing and thanks for letting me tag along. I may not make it to Kew for your last day, but I will try. I spend a LOT of time on your blog these days (Grin)!! At least the teens know I was here.

Celtic house said...


a fun visit to London thank you! You seem to have packed plenty into it, hope you made the mot of annual laf xxx