Thursday, June 22, 2023

Kew - early of course

 Despite being on holiday from work I did set the alarm today so I could be up and out to catch an early visit at Kew..  I have been waking early anyway but today it was the alarm that roused me.  

I had a long wait for the 8 opening, I thought there'd be more traffic to delay me.

Lovely blue sky, it was warming up already by 8 and due to get very hot. 
it seemed odd walking round on my own as my Saturday buddy Kim was working....

baby Greylags on one side of the wire, mum on the path my side!



lovely shadows from the trees between Broad Walk and Princess of Wales conservatory
the sprinklers didn't seem to be on this morning so I wasn't in danger of getting wet today

















the light was shimmering through the euphorbia (above) 
and the alliums
euphorbia


the khardoon are already over head-height and the flowers developing










eryngium at the back of the Broad Walk,  from the grass side 



wildflowers round the Hive
took this for the bug


the meadow round the slope seems to be mostly grasses at the moment but there are sprinklings of flowers too

down at the bottom of the meadow
water rill outside the POW; great reflections 

in the rock garden with the alpine house behind 






as I came past the alpine house and walked along the top path,




I saw this
yikes!  it didn't look like that on Saturday.



the barrier is to protect people  as they come out of the alpine house


when I came back later when the alpine house was open, there was a girl working in the rock garden and I asked her what was happening - she said the decking had rotted, so has to be replaced and all taken out and redone.  She didn't know how long it was going to take...

watch this space!

I dodged the sprinkler along the path 





and took the steps down through the rock garden 


to the wildflower bed by the student plots.

this is the other side of the path to the long bed  and there is more variety left in this patch
pausing to take the Pergola shot from Saturday without people!  

much nicer

back tothe wildflower bed -  there are still some poppies, mostly the daisies though
still love them though

cornflowers mingling
roses on the pergola

then turned into the evolution garden
poor bee, he's on the outside of the poppy, not sure how much pollen he'll find there
seedheads behind the petals in the sun

there were pretty,  Maltese Cross
phlox, smell lovely!  
hydrangea


you'll get these till they fade in autumn! 













every time you go, you see something new

the Helenium are flowering...







I spent ages trying to get the water drops on this flower 


more daisy types,  low lying so had to get down low...





then started back up the other half of the evolution garden,

roses,  


bee action 



drool at the light through the petals again

at the far end the lilies 
were looking fabulous





and so were the alstromeria 


there were lots of people - some staff, some volunteers,  working in lots of the beds, weeding, clearing, planting... always things happening!  











quick shadow selfie
at the far end of the EG,  roses climbing on a wall











time for breakfast in the almost shade







a new area of planting at the edge of the mediterranean garden 



I'm not sure where I was intending to go next, but I got to the Temperate House and came round the corner.....
the slopes were covered 
I had to get down on the ground...


the light through the poppies was staggering... you're getting all the ones I took, i can't leave any out. 






and the "bird's eye view" one I put on FB although Annie said it should be worm's eye.... 

it was just 10 now so the glasshouses were open...



Temperate House



went up to the viewing platform





i could hear the robin singing away,  but couldn't see it


shadows...

the purple flowers are at the top of the plant still, when they come out lower down so you can see them from the ground, they are gorgeous
back down again


fuschia 


the aoenium, flowering still 



headed back outside,  

wild areas left - dandelions.  

Japanese larch 

new growth along the branch







I was seeking shade as much as possible so walking through the Redwood grove
where there is another of the "trails" aiming to get you re-connected with nture 
I did like this thought!
and this one.
I came to what is obviously meant to be the starting point of the trail

this one is time traveller! 




heading to the lake now

smoke bush


as i walked round the lake these ducklings crossed in front of me




after sitting on a bench under a tree by the lake for a few minutes I headed back through the rose garden
they plant clematis round some of the supports too
















these are the flowers behind the hedge at the end of the Palm House 





water lily - that big one from the pond last week, has finished flowering and was outside and has been cut open so you can see the internal structure.



it was beautiful!  
one of the lily pads was outside too (underside)
and this from the phone 


inside the waterlily house there were two women in the water clearing dead leaves and weed

round the edges,  passionflowers

and in the outer section between the door and the waterlily room; gourds growing

headed across the grass to the Princess of Wales


outside cactus
inside, as I feared, missed this beauty flowering (they are shortlived)

and this one too
there were lots of school parties visiting today, I had been dodging them ever since 10,  and a great gaggle of them were in the POW
in the carnivorous room, great light 
but unusually it was as humid in there as the main POW so I exited - as the kids came in! 


on my way through the POW I  found that the ghost orchid has been taken off display - I guess it has finished flowering -  and there were two lads working on the display in the cool orchid room. 

into the alpine house

then back through the rock garden 




can't remember where these were!
palm house beds
underplanting of the central display

there was someone mowing the grass at this end
but the gosling was doing his/her best at the other!


I nearly went home at this point but remembered I had intended to go into the gallery

to see the work by Anila Quayyum Agha again

the patterns the structure makes on the floor and ceiling 
and walls -  is just amazing
I tried to photograph the "blurb" on the wall 

on my way out now,  down the Broad Walk, with the standard lens on, as the other was away


the rows of  Indian Horse Chestnuts down the path to the Elizabeth gate
they are smothered in flowers 



I headed for the station for the train home,  




pausing to catch the paddle boarders

Kim had messaged me to look out for them on the river - it's a Richmond council initiative to clear the river of plastic (good luck with that) and anyone could volunteer to have a go - paddling from here, Kew Bridge, to Richmond

I am guessing they had to wait for low tide so it wasn't too dangerous on the river.  

I didn't stop to see if there were any more of them as I'd have missed my train! 


thanks for looking - again -  Not sure what I am doing tomorrow, but will try and do something!  

3 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Those flowers in front of the Palm House are really getting bright and bold, I find it odd that they run the sprinklers on the weekend when everyone is there, but not on a weekday when the crowds are lighter.

I just got called away. I'll be back soon. Right now I have a problem I must take care of.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Soprry I took so long to get back. After my foodie friend Sally called and asked me to help her up (she had fallen), I stayed with her until I was sure she was steady on her feet. Then I made the mistake of going home and eating and that's when I got sick.

I really like that color combination of lavender, orange, and yellow on the Broad Walk.

Nice to see bugs are welcome around the hive, too. Beautiful shot of the rock garden and Alpine House. OMG on the barrier to the Alpine House. Goodness that is sad.

Lovely photo of the wildflower bed by the student plots. I love that color combination, too. And of course, I always enjoy poppies. I enjoyed every one of the photos of them, too. Love that the bees are so active, now. Lovely close-ups of the lilies.

Nice selfie and love that hat. Breakfast looks good, too.

I also like those nature messages. Time traveling would be fun.

Those cut lilies are incredible, but the lily pad looks almost skeletal.

I could read most of the All of the Flowers are for Me. You did a great job. the last line was a bit fuzzy.

Great that paddle boarders were cleaning plastic from the river. I agree it is a never ending proposition. Thanks for sharing. Now i'm off to see the rest of your holiday. BTW, happy birthday today the 26th.






Celtic house said...

Another fab visit, loving the oolour.

Hugs