Saturday, October 8, 2022

kew - a beautiful autumn day

 It was strange not being at Kew last Saturday, and even stranger being there today but not able to get in till 11 am due to the postponed fun run.  

look at the blue sky!

the beds have as you can see, been emptied for the winter planting




whilst we were waiting outside (luckily at the front of a very long queue) I snapped some green trees through the gates


I took a different route today because I wanted to see the Mexico exhibit in the Temperate House, 

trees are not as far advanced in autumn finery as I thought yet,  maybe the false autumn in the drought has halted them a bit


but some are getting there

a lovely patch of crocus under a tree

as I approached the path to the Temperate House, I noticed that the area behind the wall (where the ivy is usually humming with bees in summer)  has been cleared for regeneration... will be interest to see what is coming
the flowering cherry trees are slowly turning...
I entered the Temperate House from the end closes to the Palm House

these are meant to be sloths....












there are 3, hanging in the greenery







inside the North Octogon is a decorated pillar

and some planting







































walking through into the main part of the TH I couldn't resist the tree ferns

I'll put the sign about this area at the beginning of the photos...

hanging from the centre space roof

I like the bright colours, but it did look very artifical.







there will be performances during the weekends of a female Mariachi band  (I heard a bit of them later as I walked past outside)
but this is all there is in the main space to look at


the South Octogon is dedicated to the Day of the Dead and features an altar to remember the dead - from Covid, and other recent deaths.

it was bright and colourful




both window ledges are decorated 
including HM 
and the centre marigold themed area is pinned with notes commemorating loved ones








coming in from the door I did, I didn't see the information board till I crossed the area








walking through the last section to the exit I was pleased to see one of my favourite plants back in flower


















outside, more slow colour
as I walked past the Walkway I heard voices from above - the Treetop Walkway, although not the new lift, is re-open finally


I didn't climb it today, maybe next time


the beautiful sunlight was shining through all the trees
as I made my way to the lake to catch up Kim who'd been to feed the geese whilst I was in the TH



the reflections on the water were beautiful
as we walked up towards the Palm House, we were both surprised to see the Breach, with the mirrors, still there - perhaps it's going to be a permanent feature.
we'll see

the light was shining off the glass





we went into the Waterlily house, as it will be emptied for winter soon




my camera would not stay mist free, it was really bad today
some great tendrils



by the main door


















outside the beds and the urns at top of the steps have been planted with winter pansies
there's a bee in there somewhere...





the fabulous pin oak is as always, stunning

sky still blue as blue

had long since shed my coat.. something else to carry!

belatedly heading down the Broad Walk

I thought the dew would have evaporated in the su, from the Alchemilla Molis, 

love the little rim of bubbles on the tips 

Kin is as obssessed with it as I am
the headed round towards the Hive, alpine house and evolution gardens

smoke tree,  leaves 
and more reddy ones

the best thing in the alpine house were the pots of scillia, you'll remember no doubt how much I love these

and at the far end, pots of them on the bench with the sky behind


skirted the top of the rock garden,


a second flush of red hot poker
squash display in the vegetable garden

they'll stay for a while, and then be offered for sale and any left donated to food banks


artichoke
beans


in the evolution garden we had to lkook pretty hard for skeltonised physalis 
this one is a cheat, it was in the soil and I managed to balance it on a leaf



the leaves are always in the way!



walking into the next "room"  there was a girl sitting on a bench water colouring


I did take a picture, but won't include it as I got a bit too much of her in and didn't ask permission to use it















hopefully this one is ok to use





the strawberry tree at the top of the salvia border down the rock garden

the red maple through the face sculpture, but we couldn't get the tree to show its colour through the shapes



it was too good an opportunity to miss the sun on the fountain spray








I was trying to get some shots through the globe lens but the focus wasn't right - need longer arms or another pair of hands!
(Kim had wandered off)





before leaving we headed back past the cafe (no seats free so didn't stop for refreshments)

past the beautiful turning tree by the temple

the big beech I thought would be turning, isn't really yet 
discovered that the new area the other side of the path that runs round to the TH is now open


already forgotten the name of this tree
there will be grasses of various shapes

but these red stems were lovely
mingled with grasses
it has little white berries


the path winds up a little hill to a round bowl of an end where there is a seat


once the plants grow more it will be really pretty


then it was time to head back up the way to the exit







it may have been a late visit and it was certainly a slow bus journey home stuck in lunchtime traffic (took nearly 2 hours to get home) but well worth it for the warmth, the colours and the beauty.


thanks for looking,  next week is the normal 10am entry so hopefully much better (hope the weather is as good.)



2 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

The exhibit is very ...um... colourful! Not really my thing, though I have to confess I adore what happens to the leaves at this time of year... that kind of vivid colour is completely fine by me (yup, no logic to it, I know). Great to see things starting to turn at Kew - thank you for sharing your day (must have been a real shock to the system to miss it last week for the crop).
Alison x

Celtic house said...

Oh a lovely blue skies day for your visit, I love the Mexican displays they are really colourful, weirdly enough my sister is currently holidaying there and the photos she has sent are just as bright and vivid. Glad you enjoy your visit albeit later than normal xxx