Saturday, October 22, 2022

Kew - another beautiful autumn day

 We've had rain again this week but luckily the forecast for today changed and it stayed dry 

the beds are still bare,  patiently waiting..


the fountain jets were turned down low again


I had a long wait at the gate for opening time and poked the camera lens through the gates to capture the virginia creeper on the entrance to the cafe


once I had taken my opening shot I headed back past the entrance to go in search of tree colour


where I wasn't disappointed by the Temple of Bellona

this is what I'd missed looking at last week


I then took the path toward the lake 
but got distracted by the liquidamber tree to my left









as I squelched across the very sodden grass - my boots already soaking up the water (the waterproofing spray I'd used doesn't work....)

past the fallen horse chestnuts


crossing pagoda vista but looking towards the palm house at the trees in autumn shades






viburnum 

as I approached the lake,  the mirror installation is still in place - must be staying for good!  I didn't go and play today though

the sun had dipped a bit but there were still good reflections in the lake



Kim had headed straight for her usual duck feeding bench when we came in!





under a large tree close to the path were a group of large mushrooms





nestling in the wet leaves
and one of many dozens of squirrels stood looking around


and a bit further on, some more












as I got to the lake crossing Kim came across it and we walked further round the lake together for a while








she headed off towards the woodland walk and I carried on to the top of the lake




the smoke tree was looking good
and the raindrops were fab!






I cut across the grass heading in a very roundabout direction for the azaleas and small acers that I knew would be looking good (but my sense of direction was off kilter so it took me a while) 



blogger is messing with the order as usual



I followed the path through rhododendron dell past more gorgeous trees
and little ground covering greenery
and some funghi growing along the bark of trees being used as borders



the sun was lovely through the leaves



look at the red leaves!  just beautiful







I was finally where I had intended to be - 


I nearly trod on these getting to the tree above, but just saw them in time






I may have got carried away with the light through the leaves 

going backwards again! 






here we are!  acers.  
the grass is long round this bit and very very wet... so were my feet!







they were worth waiting for



they've placed the bed well, the red leaves catch the light perfectly in autumn! 






the surrounding huge trees look great too


from the path trying to stamp off clinging leaves from my boots..

I headed back towards the Palm House (would have been so much easier to take this route in reverse  in the first place but it was a nice walk anyway)


the yoshino cherry trees have developed a lot more colour since last week - the ones that aren't so sheltered by the holly hedging on the other side of the path at least








I walked round the side of the palm house pond - this is the round bed at the end of the palm house and has been re-planted 
in the evolution garden -  time for raindrops 
the fluffy heads of the giant cardoons are very soggy today
still some rudbeckia with colour on them
and the purple asters are still good





from the other side of the border, they are glistening with raindrops even though it hadn't rained since nighttime



checking on the fennel
and the physalis 

it appeared that  a lot of the leaves had been cut back, the orange fruits were a lot more visible




there weren't many in decaying form though




the acer in the rock garden has dropped a lot of leaves - definitely at it's peak last week

the salvias were looking good though





then I went through the alpine house as I'd missed last week


there were lots of bees on the scillia in the doorways




fir cones - outside the POW conservatory
passionflowers inside the POW

this one was down by the exit (I went in the door I usually go out through today!) 

upstairs on one of the arches they use for the orchids
the camera had real trouble with these, it was steamy and humid





the phone coped a bit better 








outside the red acer is turning golden orange









had the usual misting up problem in the waterlily house
passionflower in the lobby to the waterlily pond

finally, I headed down the Broad Walk on my way home - actually able to catch a train this week!! 


sedum

fennel down the Broad Walk



I can't remember the last time there weren't rail strikes or engineering works so I could get a train back - a much quicker journey


thanks for looking see you next week!  

1 comment:

Celtic house said...

Ah the beautiful autumn colours really are fabulous definitely getting the most out of Kews colours at the moment, the blue skies definitely helping.

I also love the purples, I remember us growing a passionfruit plant ourselves but they aren't a prolific flowerer unfortunately and the temperatures here up north aren't quite good enough to sustain the plant over winter adequately.

I hope you are having a great weekend.