Saturday, June 4, 2022

Kew - red white and blue!

I've been enjoying the Platinum Jubilee bank holiday and until today the weather has been gorgeous. (It is nice now I am home too...)

it was light rain as we were allowed in - no huge crowds today, just myself Kym and Lynda...a few more soon followed though
the gaggle of geese at the end of the pond,  they're growing fast
juggling my umbrella and the camera.  I headed down the Broad Walk 


of course the chance for raindrops on roses was too much




the candelabra primulas were looking good




I went round the grass side of the Broad Walk to get some closer shots of the alliums

my hardy geraniums are out at home too, but this is a gorgeous variety

I went round a different way towards the veg garden, pausing to chat to Lynda and some other regulars, the rain had paused 

the veg beds are being planted

Lynda mentioned the poppies so I was headed that way
but first the roses on the pergola running through the Evolution Garden

the wildflower bed... so many poppies here too (these weren't the ones she'd meant though)

I put some pics on FB and it was pointed out that they were red, white and blue for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee...(thanks, Jeremy)

so, Happy Jubilee, your Majesty!
there will be more cornflowers soon


it was too wet to get down as low as I'd have liked

(phone pic)















this was as far down as i could get


then on to the "proper" poppies!  

they were getting buffeted in the breeze




there were a couple of big bees, but they kept flying out of focus

I ditched the umbrella so I could go into macro mode

the delphiniums were looking fabulous too, tall and stately,  iridescent purples 

then back along the path 
loving the waft of scent as I walked by


to the right of the pergola as we look in the photo above this one,  are several beds of roses


then a quick walk through the rock garden

marsh orchid


edelweiss



more raindrops
(alchemila mollis)







there was even a hint of sun on the fountain as I came back past the pond


the geese were on the move!
then all stopped in a pile to peck at something on the side of the path

walking along past the side of the palm house


and across the rose garden... there wasn't enough sun to really draw out the scent 



but so  many flowers





I headed up the way to the lake, 
past the Breach, to play with the mirrors again




I didn't take many today as there were some other people heading for them




crossing the lake, with the installation the Breach in the distance



as I walked round the other side of the lake I could see someone on a bench feeding the greese/swans and headed round
to my surprise the heron was off the lake on the path -  the person feeding them was the man I often see (although haven't for several months) who has a huge zoom lens and he was feeding the heron with slices of ham...

I grabbed some photos whilst I spoke to him (the visitor not the heron)




before continuing my way up to the top of the lake
















as I got to the trolls, Matt and Helen, it started raining again so I just took a few from the shelter of a tree



and continued my way, past the installation called Shooting at Hunger
group of foxgloves growing in the shade of a tree by the side


more of the alliums now going to see by the Palm House, 

I looked in the cafe but they didn't have any of my current favourite croissants today so I headed on towards the Temperate house
through the Mediterranean garden
more raindrops

at King William's Temple there were two large tubs full of aeoniums - guessing they've decided not to put them out in the borders this year








the poppies round the cherry trees are out,  the tulips are long gone and I think they'll probably cut the grass soon
inside the Temperate House

the silver daisy bush of course.


the upper platform was closed, set up with lighting for a wedding later (I found someone to ask)

bamboo
fern stems
coleus 
there's been a fresh burst of flowers on the bird of paradise

macro for some close ups


then I went for another look at the sugary crafty fantasy world!!  
talking some more detailed shots of the hanging display in the first gallery





and then the main display







another close up of the alliums on the way to the waterlily house,

these bright magenta pink ones were gorgeous

the cactus in the corner still had decent flowers on

I had trouble with focusing though  but got some great drips!









Princess of Wales conservatory

very hard to get the timing right for the cacti!









into the alpine house





































echeum round the outside of the alpine house





another quick walk down the Broad Walk towards the Queens Garden by Kew Palace -  there had been a post on FB about the laburnum arch being out....
in front of the steps up to the laburnum arch, a riot of antirrhinum 







well this isn't what I'd call out 
have I missed it or is it yet to come?
will have to check next week 



a very bedraggled white peony at the end of the Queens garden
they really don't like rain!

I decided to head for home












the huge India sweet chestnut trees

of course as oon as I left, the sun came out!


Thanks for looking,  and see you next week

3 comments:

Celtic house said...

Loving the red white and blue planting. The poppies are stunning we saw some in the formal garden at Wentworth Woodhouse last weekend, I'd forgotten how big they are.

The birds of paradise seem to have a long flowering period too.

I hope you've had a lovely weekend

Hugs

Words and Pictures said...

So, I know it's a poppy feast, but this one is all about the roses for me - so beautiful. Ours aren't out here yet (we're several weeks behind the south-east of the UK in seasonal growth)... and I'm really looking forward to them. And I'm also looking in to getting some David Austin favourites for next year - have just found a Czech nursery nearby that stocks them.
Alison x

Lillianb said...

Such a lovely lot of different flowers, and so much colour,

Lilian B #17