Saturday, June 11, 2022

warm and sunny Kew

 Yay!  sunshine and warmth this week!  a sandals, sunglasses and suncream day...  putting on the suncream made me forget my watch, I hate not wearing a watch!  

look at the gorgeous blue sky at 8am 
the further end of the Palm House beds have been emptied, getting ready for the summer display
the goslings were enjoying the sunshine 
walking round to the bed at the end of the Broad Walk

the fountain was on one of it's intermittent settings, but I didn't stop to change to the long zoom lens.. I intended to do so later
started down the Broad Walk part way
lilies will be out soon




I turned off the Broad Walk half way along and headed round by the top of the Rock Garden 
and into the Evolution Garden (heading for the poppies in the sunshine)

but first, these gorgeous huge alliums glowing in the sun
and a lovely pinky purple poppy by the way into the EG



the lighter ones were absolutely huge



the pergola covered in roses
and lillies in the beds by the corner
alstromeria lilies

I wish you could smell the roses!

I headed for the wildflower bed first, which runs alongside the outside of the student plots (there were some students in there watering their plots)
there were so many bees on these poppies, just hundreds



it is nearly all poppies at present, 
just the odd clump of cornflowers;  but it's such a beautiful shade of blue


student digging his veg
but I just love those poppies!




the rose pergola stretches the length of the middle of the EG

the veg beds are being planted,  you can't get in yet as they're not finished, it still has barriers round it, and will have low gates around the perimeter 
delphiniums in the Evolution Garden proper 


tall, statuesque, gorgeous
the California poppies weren't quite opened in the sun yet
but in the corner, a large patch of pinky purple poppies glowing in the sun





the oriental poppies were looking gorgeous

not so many bees on these ones, they were all on the other bed








flip!  blogger has reversed these next set...
at the end of the EG 
another pale mauve poppy


walking through the roses



the Rose Garden next... beautiful!!

it's really hitting it's peak now




lots of early visitors this week, enjoying the fragrance

heading for the lake, past the Breach, from a slightly different direction


lots of shadows on the grass
you get a good view of the "inside" (mirrors) and the outer planted section


a quick play time!   trying to fire the shutter with my left hand whilst stretching out my right to get the multi images in the mirrors












then towards the Pagoda










and along to the lake



where I walked through another large gaggle of geese - there are loads this year, more than ever




from the lake I walked back along to the Palm House
stopping at the other end of the Rose Garden to previously




saying nothing!
I stopped and had breakfast/elevensies (it was about 9.30 or so)


I only took this to check the camera was still working after I'd eaten as I managed to knock the camera off the top of  my bag onto the floor (the bag was on the floor too, so it was only a small drop)  
the information board tells you what the highlights are 
at this stage the camera is on the table but it was hot in the sun which is why I moved it

cake as well as croissant today!

it was 10 by the time I finished so I could go to the Temperate House

had to say hello to Helen and Matt on my way past



I love their feet!




I wish I knew why blogger keeps reversing the order of batches of pics...

tree ferns


big tub of dahlias

bamboo in the doorway


back on track... the silver daisy bush






once again the upper platform was out of bounds 
so I had to stick to the ground level


no problem that though









the passionflowers are starting to bloom in the south octagon
most of the bird of paradise have finished and have been tidied but a few remain

aoenium by the southern end doorway
I was walking round in circles today,  walking back past the huge Japanese dogwood

along the way back to the Palm House again!



trying to show the extent of the flowers in the rose garden
random shots on my walk through the Palm House







as I opened the door to leave the Palm House I noticed this patch of rust on the wall beside the door.  Fabulous texture and colour
roses between the Palm House and waterlily house




planting at the top of the steps by the entrance to the waterlily house (urn)

inside, the pelican flowers are out and grow so fast, 


I was pleased to see the cactus still had some flowers 

pitcher plant

there is always so much to see in the waterlily house


cactus flower, back lit




an American lady spoke to
me as I was taking these, saying she would be filling her phone with all the things she was seeing

she was enjoying her visit




as I walked past the end of the Palm House I  noticed the pot had been planted as well as the bed itself (probably missed it last week)
I took these on an earlier walk past this stage but can't be bothered to trawl back to find the right place time-wise.
mainly took them to show how much the goslings are growing, and losing their fluff!  


foxgloves in the shade on  my way round to the Princess of Wales  conservatory



flowers on the cacti outside the POW (it's sheltered under the overhanging glass so they stay out all year)



I knew I'd miss them between last week and this!
will miss these before next week too

the lily pads in here don't grow as big as in the waterlily house





small hibiscus,  bit blurry but couldn't resist including them for the water drops


I noticed a cactus I'd not seen before, by the door into the orchid room,  it's really tall and has loads of flowers coming,  bet I miss (or forget to look) them by next week
there is a new titan arum been brought into the POW (from the nursery)  starting to flower
thy're marking it's growth as usual
I really hope these are still there next week
not many orchids left now


the rock garden californian poppies are stunning

not a huge amount flowering in the alpine house this week that caught my eye


few shots of the rock garden

the aloes are flowering (and above)

I couldn't resist another look at the poppies







the sun had moved off these by now but they are still beautiful

as I walked past the delphiniums I noticed the pale smaller flowers at the edge of the bed were also delphiniums, i hadn't really stopped to look earlier.

there are so pretty!




some close ups of the mass of roses on one of the pergola cross bars
divine scent

white astrantia






then it was back to the Broad Walk 

my feet were aching - the sandals (which I wear a lot in summer) were making my feet ache as I'm not used to them again yet and they are quite flat 



you can just about see the bee in the centre

I was going to sit for a while before heading for the train 




huge peony by the Orangery restaurant (I had a few minutes spare before heading to the train to had a quick divert)



thanks as always for looking, hope you enjoyed the trip.



6 comments:

Celtic house said...

Full blown summer colours now even the trees have taken on their summer greenery rather than the flush if line green we normally get. The alliums always make such a stunning show and the poppies look amazing. Glad the camera was OK, hope you are having a lovely weekend hugs xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'll be back later. I am so far behind, even my T Tuesday post was late today.

Neet said...

I just love poppies - any kind but especially red ones. Love to see them with cornflowers too - somehow they go together for me.
Lots of beautiful flowers here Helen, but the poppies are still my faves.
hugs, Neet xx

Lillianb said...

I love all these pictures and like the garden outside the flat I live it there are all sorts of poppies, I was wondering if at Kew they have a" Hoya Bella" also called a "wax plant,"

Lilian B #9

Diana Taylor said...

Another stunning collection of photos Helen - I couldn't possibly pick a favourite flower, although the pinky mauve poppies are beautiful and the creamy Astrantia is a plant my mum used to grow so it has happy associations for me. Strangely though, what really caught my eye was the rusty wall - what gorgeous texture and colour, that would look great printed out as a background! I hope the roses smelled as good as they look, it must have been heavenly to walk amongst them. Thanks for the meander through the gardens this week.
Diana xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Now I'm REALLY late! Still, I am so glad I finally made it back. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Those goslings have really grown. I think they have also found something good to eat in the grass.

The poppies are fabulous, the day lilies make me smile, and the roses are gorgeous. The veggie garden looks quite small at the moment. I mean the plants, not the garden.

Wow. Those mirrors are amazing. I like how you tried to photography your right hand.

Those geese are taking over the world, especially when they know they are being fed. Some lady was brave walking past them. Maybe they don't feel as threatened as they do elsewhere.

Loved seeing the rust in the Palm House, but that is not a good place for it.

The pot and the bed at the end of the Palm House is very well done.

Will the next titan arum bring as much attention to its growth as the first one did? It is one truly unique plant.

As always, I love seeing the rock garden. trying to get a few ideas for my own rock garden. Looks like you did a ton of walking, too. Thanks for these beautiful shots, Helen.