Saturday, May 14, 2022

Kew - in the sun

 Hello again,  here we are at Kew once more early, in the sun (though it was quite fresh to start with) 

Going to hope blogger plays nicer than the computer did downloading and saving the photos in the first place, as it's Cup Final day and I need to be done by kickoff...

although I'm starting with my normal first shot,  on our way from the entrance to the Palm House,  Kym Lynda and I were amazed by these goslings ..... these were with just 2 adults!

we don't know if they can possibly all be from one hatching.. but look!


Lynda noticed them first - they came from the path, ran around on the grass a bit

and then charged off again! 

we counted about 26!   Lynda said it was like a school!  
several other early visitors stopped to laugh at them as well... so cute!! 
then it was time to admire the alliums in the Palm House beds


and the little flowers growing out of the wall of the pond tumbling down





these are the ones in the round bed at the top of the Broad Walk


the fountain wasn't on, so I headed down the Broad Walk first

where of course there are more !
not sure what these are by the first clump of alliums





then I went round to the wisteria near the Hive - still looking quite sad for blooms this year but a few more than last week

it's obviously a poor year for this particular one

the sky was quite blue though still cloudy as you see - fluffy white ones, no chance of rain 

then I headed round past the Princess of Wales 



the cloud above the alpine house was quite pretty
the sun wasn't strong enough to make the California poppies open yet, and I knew i'd be back later to go into the glasshouses
as I walked down the path at the edge of the rock garden I met Lynda again admiring the white wisteria growing on the wall


in the Evolution Garden, the scilla, cuban lily are looking good


work on the vegetable beds is coming on,  and I see they've gone with gravel rather than grass round them this time,  the grass did always get very muddy in the rain, and trampled by visitors so this is probably going to be an improvement

lots of lilies
and a large clematis starting to bloom at the bottom of one of the posts of the pergola
some peonies starting to flower
overnight dew on leaves, will soon burn off 


the replanted peony beds at the far end of the Evolution garden are coming along too - though these ones weren't some of the ones that were replanted











the sun was starting to make the trees shine in the light  now
back at the pond, still no fountain, but the reflections were ok!

as I walked past the top end of the Palm House again I couldn't resist some more photos



I headed off towards the lake

walking up the grass past the trolls near the Temperate House,  

you can see it is still fenced off
but I got a bit of a closer look 

before heading round by the tulips in Cherry Walk - fading now, overtaken by grass and mostly just the darker purple varieties lefr 
at the lake 

pausing for more reflections 

I headed up to the end of the lake and towards the woodland walk
where there was still quite a lot of blossom

and the path through the woods was peaceful, (apart from the planes flying into Heathrow - lots of them today and on a very low flight path in, too!) 
the bluebells are nearly finished now and other wildflowers are taking over





but there were still quite a few bluebells
towards the end of the woodland walk,  large rhododendrons,  near Queen Charlotte's cottage



I took a right turn towards the Pagoda and the Japanese garden





top of a huge tree against the cloudy sky
walking past the Temperate House, still closed of course
I walked towards the Med garden and noticed this lovely tree
with it's bubbly knobbly bark



and green canopy

there was a plaque on the trunk labelling it as a "champion tree" from 2019 for GB and Ireland
on the Tree Register (who knew there was a champion of trees!)


in the Med garden, the bees were buzzing round this, but I was on manual macro focus so kept missing them


it's an echium 


so pretty

I came across another Judas tree - the one I usually look at in the Med garden itself has finished

this was on the path  back towards the Palm house


holly hedging near the rose garden

I walked through the rose garden as I'd seen some in flower on my way past earlier -  loads of buds to come in the central section
and some early ones out, at the far end 

these ones had the most amazing frangrance



and some yellow ones, sprawling mass of blooms lower to the ground





ooops!  can't resit



heading to the cafe for some breakfast...

I noticed they had some croissants on offer today - cheese and mushroom,  so I tried one (warmed up for you) - was delicious.

and a doughnut for "dessert" ... who says breakfast can't include dessert!  Coffee today, not hot chocolate.

ate outside in the sunshine, it was warm on the back of my neck now 

the gates opened at 10 as I sat eating  so then I headed to the Temperate house







for some reason the steps up to the viewing platform still had the barrier across (I was tempted to move it but thought I'd better not so had to stay on the lower level





of course I had to catch the Bird of Paradise flowers again, 

with the sun glowing on the petals

and through the large leaves 


the next group 






gerbera

by the door at the far end,  a yellow variety


other side of the path, a spiky (agave?)
headed back through past the first clump,  went to check in case I could get up this time, but whoever had done the watering and unlocked presumably, was nowhere in sight to ask

so back outside and walking back towards the Palm House


Japanese Dogwood in flower, love these creamy flowers
standing proud above the leaves


walked through the Palm House which was very hot and humid today




as i came out of the Palm House I noticed the white wisteria was flowering to the left of the waterlily house and knew I'd forget if I went inside first





tub at the top of the steps to the waterlily house


humid in here too, so of course had to keep wiping the lens
the leaves grow so much so fast!
at the edge of the water

the purple waterlilies are huge too




new flowers coming





reflections

then it was to the Princess of Wales


the California poppies outside were opened out

inside,  perlagoniums

and lots of cacti in flower



was easier to get more in from the phone, over the top of the glass barrier



in the cool orchid rooms










the wall covered by the bougainvillea - still forgot to go up to see it close
my fave

rock garden

alpine house 



round the other side of the alpine house near the waterfall

as I walked round the pond on my way out, I noticed the huge group of goslings again
still all together



amazing!


thanks for looking, 

just finished before kick off,

come on Liverpool!

4 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Once again, those geese are EVERYWHERE!! I read they mate for life. I suspect from the various hierarchies in the final photo of them, they represent several families.

It sounds like the gravel will definitely be an improvement in the veggie garden. As long as the gravel stays out of the beds, that is!

Those trolls are huge. Even larger than I imagined from last week's photos. Still love the Cherry Walk tulips and the bridge at the lake has some beautiful floral views.

The Japanese Garden is awash with color. Nuice to see the Pagoda, too.

My grandmother's favorite roses were yellow, so I was delighted to see some early bloomers.

Your croissant looks good and sounds good to this vegetarian, too. And who doesn't love a good doughnut for breakfast?

I STILL love the Birds of Paradise. I've never seen a yellow one before. And a beautiful Dogwood, too. Lots of flowers, buds, and pads in the Lily House. Some are HUGE! Really gorgeous flowering cacti, too.

Since I've been here over an hour on this post, I really MUST grab some coffee and a snack. Thanks for yet another really great visit to Kew, dear Helen.




pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh those gees and goslings - wonderful! The waterlily house looks wonderful now! Sorry to see the end of the Cherry walk tulips! So much lovely colour now! Breakfast looks soo good! Hugs,Chrisx

Celtic house said...

Those goslings are seriously cute but how many? Your day looks lovely, the alliums make such an impressive display, do they smell of onions as they are part of that family aren't they?

Loving the flowering cacti, I don't think I've ever seen one with yellow flowers before.

I love the troll, I follow the individual that makes them on my instagram account and he indicated he was heading to the UK for the first one, I wondered where it would be. He has them all over Europe and I would love to go and visit them but they are spread far and wide.

I hope you had a lovely weekend, have a good week ahead.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Diana Taylor said...

Gosh I've just spent far longer than I meant to on my visit to Kew! Your photos are spectacular and I am trying to decide if I prefer mauve wisteria or white wisteria, they are both so stunning. I think I could have spent all day watching the goslings, they really are super cute! It looks like you had such a lovely day, thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely week - now back to the desks!
Diana xx