Saturday, October 16, 2021

Kew - rain again, but a stunning new exhibition!

 As I got to Kew this morning, it somewhat unexpectedly started to rain.... 9am today for members ahead of school half terms and a Gruffalo trail for youngsters...

as I headed in the drizzle to the Palm House you can see they've worked hard and finished the replanting of the paterre beds.

despite the rain there were good reflections in the pond



and the dogwoods round the side are colouring up 


lots of colour on the red maple outside the Princess of Wales conservatory 
but I was distracted by a white patch on the grass on the bank to it's left..

a huge spread of mushrooms



I walked down the path at the top of the rock garden
to the Evolution Garden, 

where the asters and rudbeckia are fading
especially this huge drift!
the helenium are just seed heads now
further down the physalis are bright orange amongst their foliage 

not turning to their fabulous skeleton stage yet 
at the end, the display of pumpkins were still evident


I crossed some increasingly wet grass towards the beautiful autumnal colours....



I had to keep hanging lens for the full effect,  and the rain was not doing my camera any good -  I hadn't come prepared for rain so had no hood and no umbrella....




but the colours were worth it!


I couldn't tell what this was under a tree - it looked like a partly charred piece of wood



there were more groups of mushrooms dotted about

yellows as well as oranges and reds







 I got to the lake 

back by the side of the lake crossing I saw a massive group of mushrooms, shining brightly in the rain -  they look like polished wood!







I managed to get in close with the phone 


luckily as I got to the Temperate House it was 10 so I could get inside out of the wet!
the chrysanthemums are still so impressive

but my camera was misbehaving a bit

I wanted close ups of the petals



the One Thousand Springs  





the acers in the Chalk Garden in the far Octagon are turning 


a very wet sight greeted me as I left the Temperate House
as I walked round to the front of the Temperate House I noticed a large clump of yellow wildflowers - no idea what they are though
I headed (keeping to the paths) towards the gallery


but got sucked into the tree canopy for the colour!

the increase in colour since last week was noticeable










but I wanted to see the new exhibition in the Shirley Sherwood gallery....

I've added the link to the page from the Kew website so you can read more about it 


the first part is a perspex case displaying images

and bigger pieces
trying to exclude reflections is going to be tricky!



on the other side of the wall, a series of brightly coloured exhibits,

but looking in the cases, you can see the reverses are black


there were about 6 in total but as you can see, the gallery was filling up and people were passing by...

don't worry, it's on till March - I will be back - frequently!

and on the opposite wall a large perspex display of multiple flowers
viewed from the side



then, through to the main square gallery room, home to so many previous beautiful displays in the past - prepare to be mind blown  (well I was!)
the floor was covered in a low, flat display, full of the same kind of botanical pieces - this is "Blackfield"  
steel flowers, painted and etched 


I was talking to the girl on hand to explain it - she had worked on putting it together -  they are based on botanical drawings -  about 17500 of the, placed in sand -  it took (can't recall how many people)  8 days working 10 hour days to install.....



I got down on the floor.....

they are stunning,  simply stunning....



you can walk round the whole thing - taking care not to bend over too close and entangle yourself in them - and get down close

as you walk round you see that the reverses are brightly coloured as in the cases outside


side on view from standing
much as the colours are bright,  I think I prefer the black side




I think you can see the details better from the black side












then, in another side room


I stood and watched a couple of moments - the film runs for a few, but I didn't stay for the whole thing today



to start with the images reflected on the bodies are black and white,  
cockroaches and bugs,   changing to flowers 


I will stay and report more next time!

close up of "Black Box"  2000 miniature butterflies and insects viewed under UV light















in the corridor by the above exhibit,  another perspex display of images



I could have stayed for hours - and didn't even explore the paintings in the next gallery (botanical art from Japan, China and Thailand)
outside, I saw the welcoming tree - Winter Lights -  a large tree made up of human figures - it took me a moment to notice that!





the blurb on the website says it is made from Corten - a steel that will weather to rust


I thought it had stopped raining, but as I walked along the Camelia path back to the main gate,  it started again....



the fabulous tree near the entrance has also changed hugely in the week 
they also seem to have cleared the area to the side along the path as it looked very different  and you could see the side of the  building 

I don't seem to have any photos from the right angle from last week to see when it happened!


nerines in the bed at the Victoria gate


now I  mentioned the Gruffalo at the start - but I hadn't come across any signs of him during  my visit ,  a sign said that he was appearing in front of Kew Palace at various times so that is probably why!

Maybe next week!
walking through the shop I thought about refreshments in the cafe but it was too wet to sit outside so of course the inside seating was full!

I ate a chocolate bar I'd brought with me

and walked round the pond - sun trying to come out hurrah!




the crocus were looking sorry in the rain
I went into the Princess of Wales conservatory


on the upper level I found some pale creamy passion flowers that I just about persuaded the camera to focus on without too  much misting 
but the other arch is smothered in the deep red/purple ones








the latest titan arum doesn't seem to have grown too much yet




those yellow or green gourd like thinks decay to this!


outside, the rain had stopped, and there were even patches of blue sky! 
the leaves and petals of the cannas outside were soaked

so of course
raindrop closeups!
into the Alpine House








my favourites in the alpine house at present,  the scillia






the waterfall outside the alpine house was in full flow!































 maidenhair tree 




wet berries in the hedge in front of the Hive



I was travelling by bus today (engineering works onthe trains) so had to exit by the Victoria gate where I go in


as I got back to the Broad Walk I tried to see to the far end (where I usually exit) for much colour - the rudbeckia - but couldn't tell so headed the other way

past patches of raindrop laden geraniums

and the sun out over the fountain
there were loads of gulls flying around 

I did divert to the waterlily house before leaving - lens wouldn't clear of mist inside but there wasn't much to take

outside though was another dying lily pad

the spikes are quite sharp
back at the pond 



the gulls were sitting on the grass now

as I left I managed to get a photo of the virginia creeper over the shop.

as i came out of the gate there was a bus stopped at the lights so I dashed over the road and came home


thanks for looking - hope you enjoyed today's visit.  I realised as I was downloading these, i had completely forgotten to go to the Japanese garden so hope I haven't missed too much of the colour there 

2 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I like the shape of the new paterre beds and look forward to seeing what they have planted.

The red maple is beautiful, but the rest of the area around the pond seems to be a bit behind turning colors. I liked the seed head of the helenium. They are nearly as beautiful as the flowers.

I can't believe those amazing pumpkins of so many varieties and colors.

Up close, those mushrooms around the lake looked more like pancakes to me than polished wood.

LOVED the acers in the Chalk Garden. Beautiful shots of so many brilliant colors.

I fell in love with the Ben-David perspex case. I could have looked at it all day long. Loved the evolution aspect of it. The perspex pf the flowers was beautiful, but I like the other one better.

Enjoyed the other art and the Black Box, too.

The winter lights human tree was nice, but I only really appreciated it with your close up shot.

It was nice to see the urns around the pond were still filled and still looking good.

I really LOVED the close up of the scillia. I can see why they are a favorite of yours.

I had a ball visiting and I didn't even get wet. Thanks for taking me with you this week, Helen. Loved seeing the urns possibly the best.

Celtic house said...

All that autumn colour is stunning, and the pumpkin display is fab. The acer really do come into their own at this time of year don't they.

Hope you've had a lovely weekend hugs xxxxxx