Saturday, October 23, 2021

Kew - gorgeous colour

 The trip today was another 9am start for the half term Gruffalo trail (still didn't see any of it!)  

I started at the Palm House as usual
and then headed back towards the route of maximum autumn colour 
the colour has intensified incredibly in the last week



I was drawn one way and another for the colour 







































I followed the path along by the lake but then headed left towards the Japanese Garden that I forgot to visit last week


the trees by the Japanese Garden haven't turned as much as I thought -  I spoke to a Kew staff member who was walking past, who agreed 






finally found a label for these nearby the Japanese garden - fatsia Japonica











I was surprised how green the liquidamber still was




















the huge sugar maple outside the gallery  has totally transformed in the week, loads more gorgeous autumnal colours 

It wasn't ten yet quite so the gallery was still shut, but I took some close ups of the tree outside,






it's fascinating


to fill the last few minutes before the gallery opened  I went back to the sugar maple and had a scuffle through the leaves










Kim, one of the other regulars from the front gate, was also waiting for the gallery to open after I'd told her how fascinating I found it last week

I took a shot of the tree from the side as the doors opened


I took some photos of the first cabinet 



and then into the big square room for Blackfield
as we were in there early there was space to get down on the floor for loads of close ups






I moved along the row and took a few from the painted side too but I still prefer the black!




at the other end, Kim was down at floor level too!




I know there are loads here and they probably all look the same,  but I was moving around the display!










When Kim caught up with me, I laughed at her reaction to the painted side - she hadn't realised there were coloured on the other side!  
Just the same as me  last week!

as it was starting to fill up with visitors I pulled myself away to the rest of the exhibition


there's another perspex box on a wall with some further images - I think I included this last week as well

as I crouched down to take some pictures of the bottom level of the big cabinet I noticed the shadows underneath



close up of the butterflies
this week I also looked at some of the paintings - 

this one was beautiful -  
and I was amazed to see the accreditation next to it -  very different to Damien Hirst's normal style


I commented as such to a couple who came out and stood next to it as well.  

there is also a display of i-pad artwork by David Hockney

I think last week i mentioned that you are able to buy some of the steel pieces to paint yourself - or you can have them black both sides -  
today I found them -  there were a few more than this in the kit, but I couldn't get them without glare -  about 8 in all I think -  at a cool £50  (perspex box NOT included - I think I'll pass thanks!

I headed back along the path to the cafe at the entrance






and stopped for refreshments (ate outside as it was dry and fairly mild today


hot chocolate and a sausage roll (hot)  - pork and cranberry - which was lovely

I never stop for very long in case I miss something exciting!  

before heading off again
I was a little surprised at Elizabeth's comment last week (or maybe I misunderstood )  about the shape of the beds - perhaps she meant the shape of the planting within them - as the beds themselves are the same shape all the time, it's just the planting that changes during the seasons

hope that helps  Elizabeth




walking the path round the rose garden,  stopping for a big tree!

and some brightly coloured holly berries
which are a bit blurry, sorry

I was mostly keeping off the grass as in places it had been roughly mown and the cuttings left behind - which stuck to my boots -

but I had to go and look at the last few roses

before heading into the waterlily house

lens misted up again, this was the best I could get of the decaying pelican flower

it seems to fold in on itself.


fascinating
there was only one big flower 
back outside, I think this is a tulip tree  - it's by the side of the end of the pond

headed past the fountain on my way to the Princess of Wales conservatory next
the red maple seems less red and more orange today
another misted up waterlily!


the passionflower arch still has loads of blossoms

headed down the steps past these beauties



to see the titan arum - not huge yet so no photos but will still keep an eye on it

there were a few tubs of orchids dotted here and there 
then into the alpine house
always something new to see - this has a long name I've never heard of..

gesneriaceae  - don't ask me how to pronounce it or what it is!
pretty though!


the schillia are fading from the bottom up now
outside in the rock garden


nerine


crispy gladioli !


this is magnificent in spring or now in autumn

gorgeous acer

and the salvia border is still going strong



but I turned into the evolution garden
the pumpkin display is still attracting lots of interest in the veg beds



yay!!  the physalis are "skeletonising"  

I had to lift stems out of the way with one hand and try to get focused images with the other

there are loads of flowers this year
I shall keep an eye on these -  most of the rest of the evolution garden is fading now for the season
but there are still quite a lot of flowers on this

the rudbeckia mostly gone over
everything else in my favourite section is mostly seed heads now - still love them though!

the huge black walnut tree looks stunning with the still bright green leaves against the tree trunks

I headed back along the path towards the Temperate House walking up fromthe rose garden 







however when I got to the Temperate House - it was mid-day now - there was a long queue round half of the building - the afternoon entertainment is the giant calligraphy performance (so described in the leaflet)  that starts at 1.30  - and no way was I going to wait that long -  much as I'd love to see her 

so I didn't get to see the chrysanthemums today 
I shall have to make sure I go in earlier next week!




as I walked back along the mud track (grass all trampled away)  I got sidetacked by the colour of the leaves on the witch hazels - I missed the flowers in the spring lockdown - but these make up for it


some of them are yellow equally pretty

close up of the patterns 





by now my legs were protesting so I decided to head home

down the Broad Walk to the exit 


not sure what these are  -the leaves ar very familiar......
lots of seed heads still 

and the round bed at the far end of the Broad Walk
- the cannas are just about finished, but there are still some dahlias flowering
a final  low level shot to finish


hope you enjoyed today's visit as much as I did

now to put my feet up!

thanks for looking 

4 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

Ah yes, leafy splendour! Fabulous physalis too, and what an extraordinary exhibition. I saw some photos somewhere of them planting the "field" but I didn't really register that it was at Kew... incredible. And yes, I think I prefer the silhouettes of Black Field too... thanks as ever for sharing all your joy in this glorious place.
Alison x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a difference a week makes. Such a difference in the autumn colors that are now taking the place of the mostly greens I saw last week. Fiery reds and gorgeous yellows.

Still like the first cabinet in the gallery. Didn't you call it evolution last week?

I am starting to appreciate Blackfield more so than last week. I am understanding it better this week because of the vantage point. I also prefer the black side to the colored side, but both are stunning. I guess I didn't realize their size until you added the photo with Kim in it. I'd have to pass on the figures, too. Now if they threw in the perspex box, maybe!

No, Helen, you didn't misunderstand. The shape of some of the beds looked different to me, but it was probably because of the orientation of the camera. The first shot you always start with looked the same and the beds all looked as I was familiar with. However, along the way, some of the beds looked different to me. Obviously they are not. For example, photo 96 has a bed that looked different. I'm now sure it is just the camera angle and orientation.

The schillia may be fading,but they are still beautiful. And that nerine is gorgeous.

I can't believe how long these pumpkins are still going strong. Mine is already starting to die and it isn't even near any weather elements.

Those witch hazels are incredible. Beautiful colors and patterns.

My feet didn't get nearly as tired as yours, so I am glad you shared all these wonderful photos with us today. They are all wonderful.

Diana Taylor said...

Wow, the autumn colours are stunning - what a change in such a short time. The exhibition is amazing and I love your photos of it - the details are incredible and like you I think I prefer the black side of the work, and I am particularly intrigued by the cabinets of items.
The Physallis are beautiful and a definite favourite of mine, I would love some in the garden - I wonder if they are easy to grow.
Have a great week and thanks for sharing your visit.
Diana xx

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Lovely autumn colours and what an interesting exhibition! I would have enjoyed that very much!