Saturday, October 9, 2021

Kew - from fog to sun!

 This morning I woke to thick fog which I hoped would make for atmospheric photos at Kew!  so rather than my usual opening shot we'll start with something a bit different.

As I left the house I noticed several large webs draped over the shrub outside the door


I'd have stopped to take more but had to leave to catch my train




the camera couldn't focus as I crossed Kew Bridge and over the water you couldn't see much at all -  the phone managed a bit better


waking past the church on Kew Green  the gravestones were shrouded 



Whilst waiting at the gates I was chatting to some other members who are often there (but not last week in the wet) so told them about the amazing display in the Temperate House

behind this huge tree is the pond by the Palm House
they've started re-planting the beds at the Palm House 


I had to turn auto focus off  so the camera would work - pond looking ghostly and mysterious

I had already decided to go to the lake first this morning when I saw the fog so off we go...

I noticed webs draped over sign posts on my way but the direction of the light meant I had trouble capturing it in focus


fog gathering in dips and hollows
hints of colour through the foreground trees
and there's the lake
as I started to walk over the crossing I noticed that each gap between the struts also had webs 

















again, the phone caught them better


I knew the lake would look fabulous shrouded in fog

it didn't appear to be lifting very quickly yet




I turned back on myself and headed for the Temperate House  - as I walked back past the Treetop Walkway I saw the couple I'd been talking to who  at the gates who agreed with me about the display inside.

I remembered the ultra wide angle!
I wanted to show the octagonal shape of this part of the glasshouse



they've brought some Bonsai trees to add to the display since last weekend


the Haiku strung from the middle section
I was too early for the busker so walked round 


put the ultra wide angle back on for the chalk garden in the next octagon


harder to dodge people with it though

the staircase leads down to a staff only part 










I hadn't noticed these Japanese anemone amongst the trees in the chalk garden last week 









I went back into the main section (it's meant to be one-way at the moment but not strictly adhered to)
it was still too early for the busker though so will have to catch him another time













outside once more,  the fog was just a little lighter

the cherry trees starting to turn colour a little more too




there was something tied onto one of the benches as I walked away from the Temperate House - I thought it might be some abandoned art so I  picked it up - 
 a lot of the benches in the gardens are dedicated to loved ones who used to enjoy Kew and this was a letter to from the sister of the person to whom this bench was dedicated, I obviously didn't photograph the letter on the back.


It was very poignant and had only been left a few days ago 

more puddle photos!
walking away, I came across several of these planted in the edge of a bed, I don't know what they are , but they were very pretty, soft and grey.




a bit of light shining through some leaves too
heading back to the Palm House



there were lots more people here this week than last - no rain of course!





















you could see more of the Palm House now!

approaching by the rose garden 



I headed back past the pond 


and the fountain, now with sun sparkling on the spray
more webs!



crocus the other side of the path still tightly closed in the not yet brightness

I took the other path to normal to the Evolution garden


trees turning colour along the way

there was enough sun now and I could take my coat off (it hadn't been particularly cold anyway just damp with the fog)


stopping for water drops....

they're clearing the bed at this end of the garden for winter 

still some colour from the rudbeckia



these weren't out last week


very pretty (and more webs)



these little flowers are still so perfect

I found a label today.  
symphotrichum turbinellum... what a mouthful for a tiny flower








  I love them!


beautiful dahlia in full sun now

they're not skeletonising yet! 


more webs!
the pumpkin and squash display was still looking fab





a hedge between two parts of the evolution garden had huge webs all along it 



then into the rock garden and the salvia border still looking gorgeous

































the sun was now gorgeous on the  grass garden and people were sitting enjoying the day





scillia in the alpine house - both doors at the end were flung open allowing the sun to flood inside






I love these as you know

from the doorway back looking back inside, 
bathed in sunshine 
the alpine house itself


Princess of Wales 


I entered from the ferny end!!




overlooking the pond as I went upstairs


the arch was covered in passionflowers in bloom



there's another titan arum growing!



orchids in the cool orchid room
exited from the desert end 
 cactus about to flower


the red maple outside now has a lot of red!

and the sky was beautifully blue - how different from a couple of hours earlier

back past the pond






waterlily house - my usual autumn problem of misting up so not many successful pics today

cactus in the hanging  basket about to flower

blooming blogger has loaded the next few out of order, I can't face deleting them and starting again.



however, gorgeous colour on the trees!





deep shadows now in the late morning sun




I headed for the bamboo garden part of the featured trail in the Japan event...

photos back to front order again!


patches of crocus under trees



from the bamboo garden (not tons of colour yet)  

I walked back up to the top of the lake - now bathed in sunshne 



giant redwood - not as big here as in the States obviously


finding my way back to the Pagoda and the Japanese garden to check on colour progress. 













it's starting to look fabulous









I was surprised I'd not seen more funghi today





by the Victoria Gate 

heading home now (timing my exit for when a train is due)

walking round the back of the pond
wide angle on again

different views round the fountain
the crocus are fully open in the sun now

not much colour along the Broad Walk, apart from at the end

didn't have time to stop for seedheads today!

and a rather different view from Kew Bridge on the way back over!  

Thanks for looking.  Was a gorgeous visit today,  from foggy autumn to sunny late summer in 3 hours!


5 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a start to your post. That's a huge spider web. Nice foggy image over the bridge. Loved the fog on the pond and lake, too. Extremely atmospheric.

Still love the mums and the addition of bonsai trees make it even better. I still like the Chalk Garden best, I think.

It's amazing what happened when the fog lifted. Still adore those urns around the pond.

Lovely oranges and reds, then back to green.

That bamboo doesn't look as invasive as mine is.

Regardless, that giant redwood is still huge.

I've never seen a tree with flowers like the one in photo 154 before. It almost looked like the flowers were out of place.

I really enjoyed the Japanese Garden so much.

I am always mesmerized by those boats on the river. I think I would like to live on one for a month or so. Thanks for sharing these photos with us, too.

Celtic house said...

Wow what a fabulous autumn visit, I loved the foggy pictures as they are so atmospheric. I was explaining to hubby that you struggle with the misting up problem in the hot houses and low and behold you mentioned it in your post, the photos are brilliant nonetheless. I loved the bench photo with the puddle as well.

Off to see your other post as I'm sure I've missed one.

Biggest hugs

xxx

Helen said...

Elizabeth I'll try and remember to mention this next week but photo 154 is berries on the rowan tree not flowers. I have shown them in close up before

Diana Taylor said...

Wow, your photos are gorgeous and so atmospheric, and I love the change in mood from the early foggy ones to the sunny ones as the morning progresses. I never knew the photos had numbers until I just read your reply to Elizabeth - can't believe I never noticed before!! However it makes it much easier to say that I absolutely love the white blossom with little pink pompom centres in photo 70 - have no idea what it is but would love it in my garden! The autumn colours are beginning to come into their own now and look glorious. Thanks so much for sharing.
Diana x

Crafting With Jack said...

Fabulous photographs as usual. Lovely autumn colours and a beautiful Rowan tree. The spider’s webs are amazing, love the fungus photographs too. I wonder what they are called? Such a beau place, no wonder you keep going back x Angela #9