Saturday, July 10, 2021

Kew

 My weekly visit to Kew today was meant to be very wet but yay! mostly dry and just a little drizzle... took lots and lots of photos (what's new!) - hope you enjoy.


it was reasonably bright without being sunny
went partway down the Broad Walk first






then round to the Evolution Garden
day lily
the purple poppy is a bit blurry, but it's such a pretty colour I couldn't leave it out!


everything is so tall!  


always fab to see the echinacea back!










calycanthus
roses, of course 
the lavender smelled beautiful


love the colour of these alliums

Duke's Garden


day lilies


I adore hardy geraniums

alpine house from the grass garden
coleus, outside the Princess of Wales - looks like it's been paint spattered - or "pox'd" as Dina Wakley would say!


smoke bush
wildflower meadow at the Hive











then cut back to the Broad Walk,




and past the end of the Palm House where the geese were cutting the grass!

and through a sweet smelling rose garden


then across the grass past a few small funghi - this was one of the bigger ones


they were enjoying the lush, damp grass 

past the Mediterranean garden

broom



the poppies by the steps at the Temperate House are still flourishing







then I went and had a rest on "please be seated"  - it started drizzling after a few minutes but I'd been lucky it had held off so long


so I walked across to the meadows installation and peeked through some holes in planting 



this is how the Temperate House looks through it 


and soon the doors opened and we could escape the drizzle


there was a coral-pink passionflower in bloom this week


I didn't get such good macro shots today, think my eyes weren't working to check the focus well!  












I think this looks even better this week





you can see how high it grows

then I came across a little clump of funghi

they looked as if they'd toppled backwards in the soil

phone ones












when I got to the other end it appeared to have just about stopped raining again 
so I headed back towards the entrance 

(stopping at the sand dunes installation






reflection in the pond


the fountain  was on a sporadic setting today!


into the Palm House





outside the waterlily house


lotus flower

then took my one-way walk round the pond














Nepenthes (carnivorous plants)  in a hanging basket 


back outside, the fountain was on
so I walked that way



and had to wait till it came back on again


then into the Princess of Wales glasshouse

past a spiky cactus
















it's grown a lot! 


















































fabulous markings on this orchid












lily in the alpine house




sempervivium (house leeks)



still drizzling as I walked through the rock garden 



then back round the pond again on my way to the loo and then refreshments!













I sat on a (damp) wall to eat my cake and coffee - not quite as milky this week Julia! 




then along the path in front of the Palm House
looking at the urns on the edge of the pond






then it was time to leave - 


I was home just in time for the ladies final at the Wimbledon tennis championships. 


thanks for looking 

2 comments:

Diana Taylor said...

Oh my goodness I've just fallen in love with the coral pink Passion Flower - who knew it came in such a gorgeous colour! All your photos are beautiful and you have caught the light well as the day doesn't look grey or drizzly at all.
Thanks for sharing!
Diana xx

Virginia said...

Oh I'm on my main computer this morning and I was struggling to find the comments form (It doesn't take much does it, it is far too hot for my addled brain this morning).

Your visit looks amazing as always, I loved the purple poppies and then the red poppies. I too love the hardy geraniums we had a large clump at our old house but I've struggled to find any locally to have any here, I really must make the effort to find some.

I hope you have a lovely weekend and if you are off to Kew again today that is is lovely weather for you.

Hugs