Saturday, July 17, 2021

Kew - what a scorcher!

 Parts of the UK are due to have the warmest days of the year so far this weekend, so I planned to take my early slot at Kew and leave before it got too warm.   It was a hat and sunscreen day for sure!

8am and the sky is blue and cloud-free.

there was a delicious breeze though and my weather app said the temperature was about 20(celcius)









you might just see under the hat that I had my hair re-coloured and cut this week



I walked round the side of the pond first today










as I was going to head for the Evolution Garden first



you know how much I like the early light and the way the sun dapples across the beds













I like to put photos on FB as I go


this was one.  





I loved how the echinops where leaning towards the sun





the Evolution Garden is divided up into series of "rooms" depicting plant families  so I came back to these beauties on the path to continue my way along the main path





there are a mass of roses scrambling over and across the pergola
a different variety at each post


last week I forgot to check my wildflower border, 
the majority has gone over now
but the cornflowers (which were a week or so later coming out) are still there
the grass was still damp from dew on my toes, it was cool and refreshing!


the "hot" side of the Duke's Garden (the opposite side are blues and purples and paler pinks)  drew me today...
the day lilies were magnificent



I walked past on my way to the Hive - love the face nestling in the undergrowth
scabious in the wildflower meadow round the Hive 


this isn't rain but leaf litter and plant debris  - they'd not been to clean yet
walking down the steps from the Hive


not sure what this yellow is, there is lots of it though

stopped to look at the pattern of the Hive on the floor underneath it
then round to the Broad Walk 


bees enjoying the coneflowers
achillea



I walked round the side of the children's adventure playground and peeked through the gate...
before walking a bit further along to the "living rooves" installation - I'd not been this way since the first weekend


the grasses and plants on the rooves have certainly grown!





I found one that had a hole to look through that wasn't completely child-height (still had to bend in half to get under the roof to do so)

it was peaceful and cooler in the shade of all the trees so I stuck to this part of the gardens for a while 
you get to the top of the rhododendron  glade but as they've finished I went the other way


crossing the grass with the Palm House to my left and the lake to my right - but I headed for the poppies at the Temperate House






I thought they might have mowed the bank they're growing on because as I approached, the ones that aren't covered in poppies have been cut....


but no, they are still there
you can see from the number of seedheads, just how prolific this patch of poppies have been! 
I took loads again..


the wild grasses are starting to dominate thought
and these yellow whatevers... 

posting to FB again.


last couple as I tore myself away and went round to the front of the Temperate House 
 and sat and rested....

in the shade of the  curves on Please be Seated

I sat for several minutes listening to the radio before heading round to the door to go inside 



agapanthas just inside the door
big agave
aeonium 



there were just a few flowers left on the passionflowers 



the fern tree (that isn't a fern)  
(jacaranda mimosifolia)


still looking spectacular 







these next few are in reverse order to how I  took them, but no matter.

blogger being blogger again





these are actually opposite the Jacaranda!




beautiful apricot coloured roses in the rose garden - realise now I didn't walk through the whole garden as I went into the Palm House 

no trouble with misting lenses today, it was hot outside ! 




shapes and contrasts 

















then across the path into the Waterlily house






cactus hanging basket
orangey passionflower  in the corner



lotus
hibiscus

lotus leaves
outside now, tree fern hiding the Palm House













in the Princess of Wales glasshouse


Mum used to have this as a house plant when we were at home, these have better flowers though!  


I had of course, missed the opening - and closing  - of the flower of the titun arum! 


never noticed them cut a hole in the base before 

the final growth chart - 310 cm 









this orchid looks like a spider!










alpine house - these were massive 















the californian poppies round the alpine house were amazing 



























 

then it was to the Broad Walk and on my way home 


lots of yellow in this bit!




it was late morning and getting very hot (for me) so I headed off for my train home

thanks for looking  


3 comments:

Diana Taylor said...

Glorious photos - those hot colours really glow in bright sunshine. There are so many beauties, but I do love your poppy photos - they really should be printed and framed (although I think I've said that before!). I also love the geometric lines and contrasts of the palm leaves. Thank you so much for sharing, I do enjoy your visits to Kew.
Enjoy the rest of the week,
Diana xx

Neet said...

Love that face in the bushes.
Too many beautiful photos to comment on any one but I must say I wish I had a garden just full of those red poppies. Then I would be a very happy bunny.
I do enjoy seeing you take photos from unusual angles - you and a friend in Germany fascinate me with your photos. you both should be producing calendars and things.
Hugs, Neet 3 xx

Virginia said...

Oh what a glorious day, loving the hat and the hair colour, you look like you had a fabulous time.

The living rooves are amazing and I loved the pop of funky pink colour going on. As always I love the glimpses of sculptures, the face one is stunning.

I also love the depth of the passion flower colour, the ones I normally see are more bluey purple/lilac whereas that has a definite burgundy look going on.

I hope you have managed in the crazy temperatures this week and if you are off to Kew this weekend, have a fabulous time.

Hugs