Saturday, July 3, 2021

Kew


Welcome back for another trip to Kew.  

Despite the gloom first thing, at least the forecast rain was holding off - for now!
I was delighted to see the fountain on for the first time in ages -  I'ave been told before that moorhens nest around the base so presumably the young birds are all now out of the way and they can turn it on again 
the new planting in the round beds at the ends of the pond are filling out
and the one at the top of the Broad Walk


before I switched to the macro lens I took a wider shot with the Broad Walk disappearing into the distance
then it was fountain time - shame there was no sunshine!













then it was off to the Evolution Garden  and some lush growth and poppies!  
everything seems to have shot up this week as some other 8am regulars who stopped to chat, were also saying 











we had some heavy rain locally overnight 

these roses tumbling over the top of the pergola were stunning, but sadly not much fragrance



the rudbeckia are starting to flower, so that's a few months of vivid colour to come!









flipping blogger is loading the photos the wrong order to I was walking but no matter... 
we're still in the Evolution garden !  

the dark delphiniums were glorious even with no sun

and some lighter purple clematis tangled in with them





the lilies  are fully out

and the alstromeria lilies still looking gorgeous 
as for the lavender, which runs the entire length of the path towards the rock garden, bordering the pergola and the vegetable beds
gorgeous!  didn't notice fragrance this morning, too cool and dull still for it to be evident
more roses on the pergola,  so many varieties used
sadly, the wildflower border has gone over somewhat..





marigolds in the student plots


huge bottle brush bush outside the Duke's Garden
hardy geraniums

Wand Flower 
love the way they hang - they were under a tree, so protected from winds which I can imagine would damage them easily
achillea

the top of the Rock Garden

in the Grass Garden
the aloe flowers close up

allium

back in the Evolution Garden

"Kings Spear"  Asphodeline lutea   never heard of it but seen it before here... can't remember if it does anything more - will try to check again!  

agapanthas starting to flower,


yucca,  flowering 







raindrops!  

heuchera flowers - they're grown mostly for their leaves but the flowers are quite pretty

back at the pond/Palm House 




quick walk past the end of the rose garden
they've mowed the grass under the flowering cherry trees by the Temperate House
but some of the poppies at the base of the trees remain, not all

walking round the side of the Temperate House I was delighted they'd left the poppies on the slope.

took loads again - still no sun though








I agree, Diana, they'd look great printed out - if only I had a printer!! 

there was a rogue pink flower in among the poppies! not sure what it is
Plantscapes installation - Hedgerows -  opposite the front of the Temperate house


the flowers are developing nicely

loved the foxgloves

at the lower level they tumble nicely 
and over one of the higher levels





I stopped at the sign to read about it




I like that from the other side you can frame the Temperate House with the hedgerow structure



it would make a lovely arched entrance to a wedding!

more foxgloves round the side

it was still only 9.,30 so a while till the Temperate House would open so I doubled back on my way to the lake - so another couple here!


a huge flock of geese on the far side  of the lake
but I walked the other way round to the top of the lake

some more young geese,  having breakfast!
the smoke bush

golden lotus banana  - in the Temperate House now it was open 

ferns





jacaranda fern - the common name for this tree that isn't a fern at all - but the flowers are lovely!


the big tubs of bird of paradise either side of the intersecting door, are turning woody - or like straw  - I think they look fab like this too

the pasionflowers were fewer in number, but the ones that were there, were spectacular still 

love the purple ones

as well as the crimson one









a view of the "hedgerow" from the steps of the TH on my way past again 
on my way to the cafe I past the sand dunes plantscape,  I like this purpley-blue flower but not sure what it is.

I had a very sticky banana muffin and coffee - luckily it was warm enough to have taken my coat off to sit on as the bench was wet

the cake was ok but not improved by the hand sanitiser I had had to use to go into the cafe to buy said cake.... 
Julia thinks the coffee is like care home coffee, week and milky - but it tasted just fine!  

then, a walk through the Palm House

where it was steamy










as I stood outside the waterlily house it started to rain

inside. blogger is insisting on loading this set of pics in reverse order again

I wish I knew why it does that...








however, no matter
this is a lotus flower just inside the front door of the waterlily house on my way in (and out of course)



coming out, I had to resort to using my umbrella

took a walk down the Broad Walk part way before heading to the Princess of Wales glasshouse...
juggling umbrella and trying to use the camera one handed... 

tricky!

love the lilies though

acid green euphorbia

fab colour combination




headed to the POW quite quickly to escape the rain 




where I also overtook some crowds - well a few people



the titan arun was growing - they've put a height chart up - it's grown about 10cm a day for the last few days



















in the cool orchid room, 


time for some close ups 

 





Gardeners World tv programme had a feature on ferns at Kew yesterday and were obviously allowed more access than the public but I took a few of my own fern pics from the parts we could see!



outside the POW they'd laid out a waterlily leaf on the path
it was huge!
there is a bank of willdflowers outside the POW















I took a closer look at the california poppies at the start of the rock garden

before walking through the alpine house


and then through the rock garden
still juggling umbrella and camera equipment!



then headed back to the Broad Walk 


and walked the rest of  the way




where it just about stopped enough to put the umbrella down

so I decided to head for the train home before the next shower - which so far hasn't arrived!
even had some sunshine as I got back to Sutton

Took a bumper number of pics today but have been adding them without keeping track of how many I've uploaded!  

thanks for looking - see you next week! 

6 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The flowers in front of the Palm House are still quite lovely. Glad to see the fountain back on and also wonderful that Kew is respectful of avian life. I've missed those fountain shots.

The poppies in the evolution garden are beautiful. I really like that color combination. The rudbeckia are beautiful. I'd love to find lavender that would overwinter where I live. I'd also love to see lavender flowers. Your photos are superb. And I never tire of seeing bottle brush bushes. when I had yucca, they only flowered every other year. Nice to see this in bloom. Those poppies never fail to make me smile.

The orchids were spectacular. I can see why you were drawn to them. Thanks for taking me to Kew today.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

How many years have we been blog pals.. and it's only today that I realised this is a different page. How crazy is that duh!! Stunning display of the beauty at Kew, especially love the foxgloves, i'd love them in my garden but a bit cautious with Freya.
Now i'm a follower I hope to keep up more with you here Helen.
Thanks for sharing your vision and time @ Kew.
Hugs Tracey xx

Diana Taylor said...

I think this week has to be your most colourful of the year - what a spectacular array of flowers - you've just got to love a Delphinium, that lush deep violet blue is breathtaking, and your shots of the Passion flowers are stunning. Thanks for another visual delight on a drab Wednesday!
Diana xx

Crafting With Jack said...

From pretty poppies, fabulous foxgloves to all sorts of amazing flowers. A wonderful treat for the eyes! Who is the man killing the snake/dragon? Also what is the plant just before with pale purple/lilac berries? Beautiful photographs thank you Angela #3

Celtic house said...

Oh that looks like a fabulous visit, the colourful beds are spectacular, its amazing to think it isn't that long since they were actually planted out. I love the tumbling pink rose as well despite the lack of smell they do make an amazing sight don't they.

My other favourite is the passionflower they are such a stunning flower, so intricate and detailed. I hope you have a fantastic weekend and week ahead.

Hugs

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Beautiful photographs, bet you're really enjoying your visits at the moment, lets hope it continues. Hugs, Angela xXx