Saturday, October 3, 2020

Kew in the rain

 The forecast for this weekend was not encouraging, but it's only water, so of I went for my booked time slot at Kew. 

They're back to 10am opening now for the winter so I could have a lie in!  It also means I enter by a different gate, nearer the station, so a different opening shot!

the heavy rain overnight and on the way, had stopped (temporarily) by the time the gates opened



although the sky as you see, as I walked up the Broad Walk, was very grey!

It rained on and off for most of the morning and my big Kew umbrella was up and down!








so, as I often do in autumn and winter, entering the gardens from the Elizabeth gate, my first views are from the Broad Walk

you may be able to see the lights flickering at the Hive, indicating bee activity in the real hive.. however I didn't head that way today


much of the verbena is finished, but there is fluffy grasses in amongst the arching grasses 
and the euphorbia was covered in water drops (yay!) 

so too the achemilla mollis, with it's mercury- like appearance of the drops
the huge tree at the end of the Broad Walk turning more autumnal gold





I turned left and headed for the Evolution Garden - but then decided to go into the Princess of Wales glasshouse first 
where I was rewarded with a huge flower on one of the sprawling cactus
these two must be a day old, as they were already fading, they don't last long at all
I leant over towards the single flower, to get a close up in the middle,  gorgeous!


there wasn't a huge amount of interest today, no water dragons again sadly
so I soon fond myself by the exit and my favourite, which was covered in blooms 



outside again and on to the Evolution garden, via the alpine house


I love this huge tree that towers above it

by contrast inside, the cyclamen are tiny


in the veg beds the bright red of the ruby chard (I think, I was the wrong side to see the labels)  caught my eye 

I was blessed with raindrops a lot today

Japanese anemone
they may start to skeletonise soon!


physalis 












there are 4 of these plants at each corner of a little section in the Evolution Garden,  and these were dripping, literally, with water

more euphorbia
most of the yellow from the rudbeckia, has gone over now
back on the path - that's the POW in the distance
looking down the woodland path




I went down the path past the face sculpture, always like to get different angles of it.  couldn't quite get the raindrips on the points though 

headed back past the Broad Walk to the Waterlily house


this tree is really red this week, everything is changing so fast


stunning!


stem or trunk of a tree fern just outside 
the cactus flower from last week, fading but still vibrant

I really had trouble with my lens misting, with the contrast in temperature inside and out
another cactus flower coming
outside,I headed towards the Temperate House, past more turning trees


the acers and maples are just gorgeous


you can see from the muddy grass, just how wet it's been - there were lots of small children in wellies, jumping in puddles on the paths 



Autumn is my favourite time of year even in the rain!


there was a new exhibition opening today inthe gallery, so I headed left first to that, hoping not to find it too busy
I noticed a large clump of funghi in the earth round a small tree 
I see them each year -  today there were lots of them 




I love them


in the gloomy light, the leaves look gorgeous against the dark tree trunk


I changed lenses  so I would hopefully be able to take some inside the exhibition
it's by an artist called Jan Hendrix and was delayed from April due to lockdown but is now on until March... I will find out more about it as the weeks go on, but I know I will be a frequent visitor!

It's called Paradise Lost and I have linked to the Kew website pages.  It explores humanity's impact on the natural world.
there are a series of artworks on the way into this main room, but the light was too low, and no flash allowed, so will have to see what I can do next time about that!


for now, enjoy this!!


the art round the walls was amazing (I bought a scarf with some of Jan's images of trees on.. )



you can walk in and through this, which I will do next time properly

you can see reflections of yourself in the metal 

and like everything done at Kew, the lighting is magnificent, with the pattens on the floor 
someone else joined me in the room and entered the sculpture


part of the wall art 

there is an overlay on the window.. bet when the sun shines this will look fabulous

I headed for the Temperate House


keeping to the path - I knew from previous very wet visits that this path puddles and you get gorgeous reflections of the pine trees






as I approached, the goose lifted it's head  - it had been dozing with his head tucked into his feathers.. sorry goose!



inside the temperate house


the bird of paradise I saw last week,  it's really low down this one, so had to bend right down


we were taken down a different path today before we got to the central section


this was tucked round to the left of the path we could use













the passionflowers are developing on the frames they've been allowed to grow up



there is a different variety in each tub, all slightly different colours
(loading out of order again dammit!)

in the main room, we now wind to the right, past the staircase that comes down from the platform
I was amused to see the climbing plant taking over the bottom of the steps - the tape to stop you trying to go up (even though this is the down stairs)

this is the one I took on my phone,  I love it!! 

these were the tall yellow flowers I wanted to see a few weeks ago.. not many left now







it was nice to explore different paths today
tree smothered in berries



crossing the lake

loads of acorns on a huge oak tree






heading back to the Palm House

this tree is absolutely laden 
I struggled to focus on the water drops though
the rose hips in the rose garden were easier


went into the Palm House 

Florida Silver Palm




another huge palm 

pretty markings on this (dipsyis onilahensis)  


the twirlies are still twirling




finally made it to the Palm House bed lol 
still no planting - I imagine it will be left till spring now 
couldn't not go and check the development on this tree 








I had meant to play with the globe lens and raindrops, but forgot






I was getting tired and there were no seats that were dry enough to sit on for a rest (my coat wasn't long enough to keep mu  bum dry on a bench!)  so I decided to head for home.

I hadn't stopped for a drink either for the same reason (all the outside seats by the cafe had been taken away)  


ivy along the top of the entrance
I walked round the back of the pond
and back down the Broad Walk


time for a last few hits of colour

I almost forgot this










had to take a selfie of my new hair -done yesterday - I can't be faffed to go back and insert it in the right place on my walk!!    ignore the bags under my eyes!  




so that's another 300 pics taken... have left lots out, somehow! 


the sun even came out on my way home!  hopefully next week will be better weather and I won't need the umbrella, it's too unwieldy and gets in the way.

thanks for looking 




 









7 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

H your hair looks fabulous!!! Just love the color! Another beautiful walk through Kew.. I love seeing Kew through your eyes... Thank you! Hugs! deb

Celtic house said...

That looks like a rather wet visit but the flowers are stunning as always and I love love love the new art work off for a read up. The hair colour looks fabulous have a great weekend and week ahead. Hugs xxx

Kyla said...

Fantastic, yes looks like ruby chard. The new exhibition looks amazing too
Kyla

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I almost didn't recognize your blog since the opening shot was SO different. The Broad Walk looks like it is mostly turning colors.

Those cactus flowers were beautiful. I have never seen white ones before.

That Hendrix installation is amazing. I think I would really enjoy this. It's amazing you can walk through the one installation. And his trees are incredible.

I was surprised in the temperate house how nature has taken over the stairs. Once the stairs reopen, the landscapers will have quite a job saving and cleaning up that area. It's also nice to be a frequent visitor because you get to travel different paths each week or so. I know that makes it interesting for you, but probably frustrating for some single visit patrons.

Wow, is it my imagination or is it the overcast sky that makes your hair color look much darker than previously?

I know I'm late visiting, but I am still playing catch-up.

Lillianb said...

More great pictures two on my favourites bird on paradise and cactus, Thanks for posting them

Have a place here that i go to often called Westonbirt Arboretum and its 600 acre's of mostly trees and its lovely.

Lilian B # 9

Diana Taylor said...

Gorgeous photos Helen, such beauty with the rain drops on the foliage, and the gorgeous autumn colours starting to come into their own. I particularly loved the pink passion flowers, and the strange pinkish flowers by the exit, with the curly tongues - absolutely stunning.
The exhibition looks amazing - thanks so much for sharing your lovely day out.
Have a great week,
Diana xx

Words and Pictures said...

Golly, it really was a bit soggy, wasn't it? But those water droplets just add to the beauty of the photos so often. I'm so glad you like the Inktober line and wash pictures - I haven't got around to any of your photos yet, but Cestina has been demanding fungi - and lo and behold...!! I find I'm a little looser when painting from life than from a photo, but they're all learning curves - just some are steeper than others. Hope you have a slightly drier day tomorrow.
Alison x