Saturday, October 24, 2020

Kew - dull, but oh the colour!

 Soon after I got home from my morning at Kew it started raining... good timing.  There was a beautiful sky as I left (bit earlier today as they were opening at 9 for half term so it was only just getting light)

at the station.




they are starting to plant the beds up at the Palm House for the spring display - I wonder what colour it will be next year!  
walking round the pond I knew I'd be in for a colourful treat today

I was also thrilled that "my" fountain was on -  on a timer, as it kept going on and off, and the jets are set quite low... but it's always great to see!

I went to the evolution garden first,  

masses of hips on some of the roses on the pergola






it was good to see the skeletons appearing on the physalis



there is still quite a lot of colour
and the harvest is still on display
as I reached the gap in the wall, the acer in the rock garden was amazing - more golden orange this week than red, but WOW!! 

before I went through the archway, I took a shot across the evolution garden
the arch makes a great frame for the acer the other side of the path



smoke tree, with the Hive behind



the hive, lights in close up.  I took my headphones out to listen to the music of the bees for a while



you get a good view from the path at the top of the Hive of the trees around you


I cut across the Broad Walk and headed for the colour on the other side of the path...


into the arboretum 





blogger is loading them in the wrong order again!  

but you get the idea.

I was walking a slightly different way today, and so glad I did, just look at the purples and golds











I had to keep changing lens to get wider angle views

I took the path towards the lake

there are huge numbers of geese in the gardens at the moment


I love the patterns they make in the water



















even though there wasn't a hint of blue inthe sky, the reflections were stunning




as Jo Firth-Young said on FB to the pics I shared, it looks like a Bob Ross painting (I love his programmes that BBC4 are showing each evening.. makes me want to get the paints out... but I'll stick to the camera)  

I do get carried away! 


I started to walk along the path to the top of the lake


simply gorgeous








I went to check the colours at the Japanese Garden..

on the way



photos back to front again in this batch.  can't face deleting and starting again!








the colours here were truly spectacular! 



tearing myself away I walked towards and through a gap in the group of kids on the Gruffalo trail




At the Pagoda I took the left path down towards the Temperate House
passing this patch again,  still no sign of label and the grass was damp and muddy to crouch to search

hadn't seen much in the way of funghi,  but there were a couple under a prunus tree near the TH






there were just a few of the geese walking along the path by the temperate house





it will be lovely when we are eventually allowed up to the platform again... 
back outside again,  passing the palm house in the distance 
I headed for the Pavilion restaurant, not for food or drink but for the colour on the leaves
and the berries on the pergola

strange "flower" on a tree 



as I approached the gallery there was a queue of children waiting ....
and a door opened and out came the Gruffalo...




I decided I didn't need to wait and "meet" him...


but headed inside,  where I managed to take a pic of part of the first bit of the display 
reflection-selfie!  

close up of the main art piece

still so soft looking, it would  be lovely to stroke it! 
strictly forbidden though,  of course







outside I went to scuffle in the leaves..



before heading back along the path to the entrance

the huge smoke tree by the entrance has really taken on colour this week
whereas this has already lost a lot of it's leaves 





it would be good with blue sky!



headed back round the pond, to
the Princess of Wales glasshouse..

no dragons!



then to the alpine house



took a look along the path down to the acer

I love the ones of these growing inside the POW but there are some outside in the rock garden too



final shot, the (orange) red hot pokers!

that's it for today,  another beautiful walk round Kew.

thanks for looking.  


5 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

Wow - you're right about the colours, amazing! And I for one am glad you get carried away... I love seeing those incredible trees and reflections from as many angles as possible.

I think it's very mean of people to create such tactile pieces of sculpture and then you're not allowed to touch them!
Alison x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I see the beds in front of the Palm House are planted except for the center square. I wonder if it will be different. I look forward to seeing this develop.

Those rose hips are definitely photo worthy. It's good to see the bees are active, too. Great shot of the lights. I truly LOVE the photos of and around the lake. Bob Ross couldn't have done any better than your camera. Photo 68 in the Japanese Garden may be my favorite this week. It's been awhile since I've seen close ups of the Pagoda, too.

You gave us some incredible shots today and I am SO glad you brought us along to enjoy the beauty of these gardens this week.

Celtic house said...

It might have been dull but those colours are utterly stunning glad you had a fabulous trip xxx

Neet said...

The berries on the pergola just don't seem real with them being those beautiful colours. Have never seen such a beautiful mix as this is. What a photo that was!
Love the physalis - so much that I am going to investigate on whether I could have one in my garden at home. I just love the shape of those lanterns.
Too many beautiful photos to comment on - the colours are spectacular and you have caught them just at the right moment. No doubt I will return to this page again because I adore Autumn and her colours.
Hugs & Thanks, Neet xx

Karen said...

So many beautiful shots! Love all the leaves, berries, and especially the fountain. I'm glad it was turned on for you to enjoy. ~ Karen#22