Saturday, October 17, 2020

Kew - another dull day

 Another trip to Kew - not as cold today but no sun.  

Sit back and enjoy!  

I started at the Palm House as I was early and went to the main entrance,  (first in line) but then went back on myself


to catch the colour 

then decided to do the glasshouses before queues built up - although most of the visitors were families going to see the half term Gruffalo trail (after the children's book)

I avoided them as far as possible!

I had the Palm House to myself...
you can see the arrow to follow the one way troute

but I peered round what corners I could








looking back along the way I'd come.  still no-one else in with me!  
quite a privelige

I crossed the path to the waterlily house - also had to myself







this beauty is just outside the waterlily house
as I walked across the grass I nearly stumbled over this tiny group of funghi

I cut through the first gap in the border along the Broad Walk..

and under the trees between the Broad Walk and the Princess of Wales glasshouse




which I also had to myself!!

no sign of chinese water dragons, but I did catch sight of this massive flower (?) hanging down on a tree

couldn't see what it is though











blogger has loaded these next few out of order but I can't be bothered to delete and start again.

my favourite, of course

the other side of the path,  a large shrub labelled lilac fuschia,
was covered in bunches of berries

and opened flowers

growing in the little bed by the water that runs round the outside of the POW


at the side of the path alongside the grass garden
inside the alpine house













Aeonium in the rock garden ( I had one of these once when they were newly introduced as pot plants to the UK..  I was still married at the time so it much be over 30 years ago when I had it.  we managed to kill it!)

Now they live happily outside (in mild climates)



the gorgeous huge acer at the edge of the rock garden


into the evolution garden looking to my right as I entered
and to my left across the vegetable garden - didn't go closer today
looking back through the archway
sedums

checking on progress on the physalis

what a tangle they grow in!
but it was rewarding!















across the other side of the path I saw a patch of colour



this
and this, a remaining burst of colour on the same plant
the asters are still hanging on...
and a few of the yellow rudbeckia... still looking good in drifts though



dahlia
I don't recall seeing euphorbia changing colour like this 

this burst of red caught my eye...
winged spindle tree , according to the label



I walked back round by the pond and headed to get a drink





I found a bench to sit on, it wasn't wet or particularly cold today!  

decided to have hot chocolate though with my raspberry and almond loaf!


on my way to the gallery to look at the Paradise Lost exhibition I couldn't resist taking another photo of this magnificent tree again



I walked along the path rather than the grass,  and was quite surprised to see some early camellias blooming already


those huge funghi from last week had collapsed and nearly all disappeared


there were quite a few people scuffling in the fallen leaves of this beech

I went into the gallery

once again it was empty, I don't think many people have discovered it yet



I just love the texture and patterns

I have discovered it is called Mirror Pavilion not Passing through as I thought  - and you may be interested to read a blog detailing some of the highlights of the exhibition 

do have a look as you can see some of the exhibits I can't photograph due to low lighting 

I managed to get close enough to snap details about some of the artwork

looking along the wall of the main picture (my scarf, lol) I tried to capture the softness of the fabric

I saw today it is done on silk and chenille and wool.  

I really wanted to touch it as it looks so soft, but you're not allowed!

people still scuffling in the leaves - as I watched the mum lay down in them making her toddler laugh

the huge clumps of funghi were still there, 



but decomposing (we've had more rain which I assume helps!)
mushy!!


my next port of call


once more you walk partway down the centre path but I could see round one corner..
no idea about these, even knowing the name doesn't help

Babaco Carica

looking across to the "down" stairs (the ones that were overgrown at the bottom)  but you now can't walk past them


everything is very tall in here!  
a little flower  - seems to be St Helena scrubwood...


if it's the right label




you can walk across the centre of the temperate house 




but then are directed back down the left hand path again
my favourite the Silver Daisy Bush,  facing - missed it entirely this year, it's normally so pretty, with it's white flowers

but even like this it's fab!









a camellia growing inside 



heading outside 





a group of geese walking towards me
and another load in the grass



past trees baring berries 


I came to a huge bed in the grass 
covered in little mauvy-blue flowered plants

no labels, no idea.

but lovely!





at the Japanese Garden by the pagoda



the trees have really turned here now









and then walked up to the lake






no blue skies but still some decent reflections


I deliberately waited for this dad carrying his daughter to cross my shot

no mass photo sessions under these trees today 



at the top of the Broad Walk 
time to head home

and I noticed that although the beds at the palm house aren't planted yet, they are starting on the other round beds on the way up to the Broad Walk  and near the Elizabeth Gate

I managed to avoid most of the kids looking for the Gruffalo on the trail, but at the gate there was a pointer!  
 

thanks for looking

hopefully despite London being in Tier 2 level restrictions from today, things won't get worse (ha ha)  and I will still be able to go - I have 2 more weeks time slots booked, but November booking isn't available yet,  so we'll keep our fingers crossed.  



4 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh the Palm House has some really lush plants and you captured them brilliantly. You were SO lucky to have the entire place to yourself. I';m sure you made the most of it, especially from the wonderful photos you got there.

Your photos from the Waterlily House are lovely, but seem a bit of a let down, I guess because I love palms so much.

Wow, some beautiful images/flowers from the POW House. Those veggies from the harvest are still holding up nicely. I like the "fence" with the pots on top. So many lovely colors and flowers.

Hot chocolate sounds wonderful. Glad you fund a place to sit this week.

I always enjoy seeing photos of the Gallery. And I am glad you discovered the name of the center area is called Mirror Pavilion. I was enamored by the silk screens on silver leaf. That technique is new to me. Not silk screening, but doing it on silver leaf. These must have cost a fortune to make.

I can't believe how nature has taken over in the stairs in the Temperate House. And is it just me or do the Japanese Gardens look overgrown?

Autumn is everywhere at Kew and nothing better than at the lake.

Thanks for taking me with you to Kew on this dull, but very photogenic day, dear.

Celtic house said...

Oh another lovely walk around Kew. You seemed to have timed it perfectly for avoiding too many people. That new exhibition is really beautiful. Loving all the autumn colours and berries including the fungi. Your cake looks lovely and hot chocolate sounds perfect for your rather overcast day. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your weekend and week ahead. Hugs

Diana Taylor said...

Oh the colours are fabulous - I just love those rich red, orange and yellow berries and foliage - stunning. I so want a winged spindle tree - never heard of one before but it's gorgeous.
Thanks again for sharing your visit,
Diana xx

Words and Pictures said...

The Physalis skeletons and the Lilac Fuchsia berries are the stand-outs for me today (okay, and all the other berries too - those ones that look like tiny pears are adorable!). Wonderful foliage colours too, of course...
Alison x