Saturday, July 18, 2020

Kew

I nearly didn't book a slot for Kew this week, but in the end....   I decided to go for an 8am entry which means leaving home at 6.20,  bit early for a Saturday and a while since I have done it! 
 I arrived just after 8 and there were already quite a few people inside  - much busier than last week



 the Palm House beds that they're not tending till next year still have plants in which are now quite tall
 I headed down the Broad Walk first again





 there are some fabulous colour combinations along the way
 especially the red poppies in amongst the purple of the verbena








 I walked up round the wildflower meadow at the Hive



 the lights (lit by the movement of the bees in Kew's hives) are different - I am sure before the maintenance work they were solid colour.


I walked round to the Evolution garden



 I love this clematis with it's fluffy bits!
 and pretty flowers


 sea holly still looking fab



 there are loads of tall plant, above my head height, lots of them




 the bees were busy on the agapanthas but I kept missing them




 dew drops





















 I went back to the Broad Walk again

walking along the back under the trees this time

you get a different view





and headed for the rose garden


 and to the lake


I've never seen so many big fish in the water before this year



 then headed along Cedar Vista paste the hydrangeas






holly tree












 the end door they are using to enter the Temperate House was closed today due to a wasp nest (not that I could see it anywhere)  so we were directed to a side door partway along




 trumpet vine with water drops






then I walked back to the Palm House, noticed one huge toadstool under a tree



 there was not queue at the Palm House so I went in






 Ebony
Ruffle Palm



 those spikes look a bit lethal!






 I went to the Princess of Wales glasshouse








 I got a bit carried away with the water drops


 back along the Broad Walk again






 I remembered to get out the toy this time

I've rotated some so the images are the right way up, 

 and left some upside down










 you know how I love big daisies!
and from the phone with the palm house behind











I took my refreshments and sat outside the Palm House where the sun had now come out




 there was a short queue at the waterlily house but I was able to get in easily

one way round the pond as the path is narrow, and I did put my mask on



(phone)



























rather than keep changing lens  I used the phone as well as camera

 as I left I crossed the grass to the Broad Walk yet again - you can see the height of these by the people walking down the path the other side of the bed
 so many bees!













I didn't have time to get back to the station for the next train so sat on the grass for a few minutes under the shade of a  tree before heading home



another beautiful visit to my favourite place!

8 comments:

Julia Dunnit said...

Fab. Good to see you enjoying again. white palms, who knew?! I love the cone alliums, the shot of purple they bring is so nice. I bought my sis a large lens ball and stand for Christmas, must check with her see how she’s liking it. Or not!!

jinxxxygirl said...

Enjoyed my visit to Kew Helen . Thank you so much... That Sea Holly is just amazing.. I've seen it before .. just never knew what it was until you.. Hugs! deb

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was amazed at how tall the Palm House beds have gotten. It's going to be a challenge when they replace those beds next year.

I love the purple and yellow and purple and red color combinations. Two of my favorite combinations.

Oh wow, are those irises in the photo with the Alpine House in the background?

I was surprised how few people were wearing a mask in the waterlily house. And all that steam, too. You were wise.

I totally enjoyed the photos with the glass ball. I really liked the ones that were rotated. Fish eye effect of the flowers.

I'm SO happy to see so many bees. We need them here, so I'm glad they are living the life at Kew, at least.

Thanks for the trip this week, dear.

Celtic house said...

Oh a fab stroll around kew despite the early start. I liked seeing some of the photos appearing in real time on my Facebook feed - fabulous. Hope you've managed a lie in this morning

Neet said...

How lovely to see such an abundance of flowers and how enjoyable your visit must have been.
Hugs, Neet xx

Belinda said...

Oh Helen, you spoil us with all your beautiful photos. I love each and every one of them. I like seeing the color combinations too. What is the toy you used to make that cool photo of flowers in a bubble?
Belinda #23

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Thought I'd just pop over to catch up with your photos. I love, love, love the lily pads. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Words and Pictures said...

Thank you for the holly berries and the sea holly (definitely need some in my new garden once I'm settled in). Some cracking shots with the glass ball (I asked for and got one last Christmas thanks to your inspiration). Since those lovely pale yellow flowers are in the rose garden, I guess them must be double-headed roses rather than peonies. I'm not much of a horticulturalist as you can tell... but I know what I like!!
Alison x