Saturday, July 25, 2020

Kew - slightly damp

At one point this week I thought I was going to get very wet at Kew today, but the timing of the rain changed and in the end it wasn't too bad. 
 they've emptied the beds at the Palm House, and as the sign on the corner says, have planted it with mustard, to act as a green manure crop to improve the soil.



in a slight drizzle I headed down the Broad Walk 
 where there is a lot of yellow  - 







 things are changing so fast
 I love the echinachea

 wild carrot in the wildflower meadow round the Hive





view of the Broad Walk from the path at the top of the Hive




 Cannas outside the Princess of Wales glasshouse  with the alpine house in the distance






 the rock garden, wide view - with the sprays going to water the beds

 into the Evolution garden,  agapanthas and (I've forgotten what the cone shaped ones are, damn!) 

love the mix though







 roses round the pergola



fluffy seedheads from the Pasque Flower








 solidago - beautiful.  variety goldeneye  you can see why

I may have got carried away




 I just love the purple and the yellow behind









 








 this is a better version of the one I took last week! 
 clerodendrum trichotomom (what a mouthful)
 common myrtle 
 at the lake







there were lots of geese on the water




as I stood at the side of the lake in the fine drizzle


they all started to climb out of the water...





I think they were expecting food!



 I walked on round the lake

 something fluffy (!) in the Mediterranean garden - couldn't see a label an it's a bit out of focus (blame the fluff)


 I sat on a bench under a shelter out of the rain for a few minutes




 little clumpe of poppies have seeded in the slope of the grass in front of the Temperate House
 I managed to stay upright as I photographed them
 inside the Temperate House


still only the central path accessible so limited to what you can see



 dinky little fuchsia
 slightly bigger dinky fuchsia


iris





last year there was a full trough displaying pitcher plants, this year just a few







 I always want to draw eyes on this!






today's coffee and cake break - actually found a table outside the cafe this week, (not busy as it was drizzling again)

banana muffin today,  yum!! 



 back at the Palm House (didn't go in today)

or to the waterlily house where it looked like quite a few people waiting
 I did go into the Princess of Wales though
 again, only one way round and still not by the pond, and no sign of water dragons

 the cannas outside again

 different agapanthas on the Broad Walk
















whilst I've been writing this post the rain has been non stop, so I definitely timed my visit well

the trains were running at funny times today for some reason so I left a bit earlier than I normally do and was home by lunchtime-ish





I took a photo of some new "artwork" at the train station that I read about yesterday and looked out for on my way in earlier - I come out of a different exit on the way out
It looks much better than the previous peeling paint that was there before


I should have taken one on the camera to get the full thing in.. will try and remember next week 


8 comments:

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Beautiful flowers in that garden. You're lucky you have it as a place to visit.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wow, your opening shot looks so different. Great that they are thinking biodiversity at least.

I'm impressed how well tended the Broad Walk is, even though they are more than likely understaffed. Once again, yellow and purple prevailed in your photos. They are a lovely combination.

It's amazing how desolate the Temperate House looks. I can't believe you were there nearly alone.

I suspect the Water Dragons are quarantined to a safe place away from humans.

And just think. You found a mural (grin). Thanks for taking me on this trip today. I enjoyed it.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Helen. some of these flowers photos would make great starting points for a Masterboard design they are gorgeous and the colours too. Have a great week, Angela xxx

Twiglet said...

I think my next twiddler will be Kew inspired. Your photos are so lovely and capture the beauty of the place so well. I have just looked through and quickly sketched ideas for my little work of art - keep a look out on WOYWW. Thanks lots. xx Jo

Lillianb said...

Love all these plants the colours are stunning,

Lilian B #24

Celtic house said...

Oh you look like you had a lovely day, beautiful colours as always and so vibrant, the main glass house always looks stunning I was looking at the original picture of the one that was at Chatsworth originally, where the maze now sits, they are just such a feat of engineering!

Words and Pictures said...

So many stunning photos, Helen - thank you for sharing as always. I had no idea those cone flower thingys were Echinacea, and it's funny how I'm fine with yellow as long as it's on flowers... I really enjoyed the start of the post! The little tiny white sprig just above the furled iris(?) towards the end also caught my eye. So happy you're able to make your weekly pilgrimage again.
Alison x

Neet said...

So glad the rain stayed off for you. What is the orange flower - photo 6 please? I do know it but cannot for the life in me remember the name. Also like the white ones above the lake and not a clue what they are either.
Wish I knew all about flowers like you do.
Hugs, Neet xx