Saturday, July 11, 2020

back to Kew

I booked another time slot for Kew for this morning - I discovered that you can book from 8am but went for 9am to give me a bit of a lie in.  It was a much better forecast than 2 weeks ago when I went

 I was there early so popped into Sainsburys by the station for a pastry for some extra breakfast and strolled across the bridge in the sun

 I dawdled along stopping to take a few photos of the graveyard outside the church on Kew Green in shadowy sun
 and some pretty flowers

I stopped for a selfie too - I had worn my mask from Annie (Sewingbyannie) today  and my new long awaited for haircut!
  I was still at the gates before my timed slot,but was allowed in early as it was quiet inside...

the sky was gloriously blue as you can see and the air warm


 whilst the main fountain in the pond wasn't on, a little one at the front was (think they use this at Christmas normally for the Christmas display)


the glasshouses are now open (but not until later)  so I headed along the Broad Walk first as usual.





 the allium seed heads were beautiful in the sunlight

















as I drew level with the Hive I noticed a child running round the path outside, so I thought it must be open again.
 as I was photographing the plants down the Broad Walk, a couple sitting on a bench eating their breakfast asked me what I did with them - so I told them about my blog.


 isolating single stem of these pretty flowers.
 echinacea
 the hardy geraniums were absolutely brilliant, literally, in the sun

 at the end of the borders I cut across to the path that leads to the Hive


 the wild flower meadow had been cut back once already but was re-growing in places























as I walked down the path from the Hive I noticed a display board on a seat about all the bees found at Kew so took a pic on my phone

hope you can read it

 then walked round to the Evolution garden

poppy seedheads
 the agapanthas are in flower now





 there were hundreds of bees everywhere







 I went to find the eryngium (sea holly) again - still looking gorgeous



echinops













 I got a coffee and cake and came to sit in the sun to enjoy it

limited choice of cake - individual things that can be wrapped no big round cakes you can just have a slice of - but enjoyable nevertheless

Julia thinks this is too milky - but I don't like strong coffee so it was perfect for me!


(cake is raspberry and white chocolate "loaf" - sponge cake really, and one I've had many times )
 then I walked to the Temperate House




 they are operating a one way system and of course - naturally! - I approached from the exit end!







once in - and there are sanitising dispensers at the entrance -



you can only walk down the central path, the side parts (and the walkway)  are shut off to avoid people getting too close and coming across one another from the wrong direction





they'd just been watering



 then I walked round to the Lake




and sat on a bench in the sun for a few minutes again




 and then walked up to the top of the lake






 and down Cedar Vista past swathes of hydrangeas





and back down the parallel walk with the Pagoda in the distance





 back at the Palm House, there was a line of people waiting to go in - limiting the numbers inside at any one time, so I didn't bother today




 the pretty little daisies growing in the bricks down the side of the pond, tumbling up the wall






I headed for the Princess of Wales glasshouse
 where again there was sanitiser at the door, and a one way system, and only a small part of the glasshouse available to walk through





 so not able to get through to see where the Chinese water dragon might be...





but I could see my favourite grevillea on the way out




 outside, with the alpine house in the distance - when I had walked past earlier it was still closed but seemed to be mostly empty of planting so didn't bother going back to check




 instead I doubled back to the Broad Walk
and headed to the station for my train home
 pausing for some alliums!

 and some clouds above
and the rowers are back on the Thames, with the opening of rowing clubs as part of the lockdown easing.


Hope you've enjoyed today's trip as much as I did again - it was beautiful!!

4 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

I did enjoy myself Helen. Thank you so much... Just beautiful!! Hugs! deb

pearshapedcrafting said...

Aah Helen! Everything looks much more beautiful with sun shining on them! I'm pleased that they are opening more , even if there are restrictions. I'm glad I popped by 'just in case' - I hoped you might go!! Thanks for taking so many photos! Off for another look before leave here now! Hugs, Chrisx psYour hair looks great !

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It makes sense the large fountain wasn't on. Spraying water droplets around could carry the virus. What surprised me was you said the glasshouses would be open.

Enjoyed your selfie and your hair cut, too. I'm surprised you were allowed to remove your mask in the beehive, though. I certainly enjoyed reading about the bees and the 107 varieties at Kew.

Amazing they are letting people visit the glasshouses and NOT wear masks. In photo 75, NO ONE was wearing one. Not a smart move in my opinion. The same is true in photo 106 in the POW house. No one was wearing a mask. As much as I enjoyed the beauty of the flowers, I was saddened to see no one had a mask on at Kew. Loved the last photo, too.

Words and Pictures said...

Poppy seed heads, Eryngium and the wildflowers (the Queen Anne's Lace type ones) for the win for me this week... Just glorious. And such a blue sky - think south London must have had different weather than we've been having in Enfield/Herts this week!!

Sounds like you might have some new blog visitors into the bargain. Thanks for taking us with you on another lovely visit.
Alison x