Saturday, August 3, 2019

Kew - sunshine and Water Dragons

After last week's soaking there was no need to take the umbrella today. 
 unlike last week, it wasn't only me waiting to go in at 8! 
 it was quite sunny early on, though the sky was a little overcast
 as usual I started down the Broad Walk








 as I was closing in on the scabious centre I saw this little beetle on the edge
 the bees were all over these, but moving fast!
 



love how the light was shining through these petals







 as usual I turned right at this point and went round to the Hive
 where the wildflower meadow is rather overgrown in parts
 and looking good!
 I walked past the outside of the Princess of Wales glasshouse which of course wasn't open yet




 and past the grass garden
 the alpine house was open, and the "sails" - sun blinds - were being remotely closed to shade the plants




 a new display this week - pots of semperviviums  (sempervivii?!!)

 I wandered through part of the rock garden
 into the veg garden.... a row of onions drying in the sun

 the veg garden is to the left of the path that separates the new evolution garden, so that was next... the light shining on/through these drew me first...
 they were glowing!

 so were the hollyhocks

 and the agapanthas, with or without raindrops are always a favourite



at this stage I saw and spoke to the lady I'd chatted to last week when we were both so wet.








 the Waterlily House on my way past



 Palm House with the round bed in front across the path
 down towards Summer Sun, blending nicely with the colours
 round into the rose garden
 back door of the palm house!


 I walked down the grass pathway past the Icicle tower



 to the lake.


the near end was largely clear this week, but I could see the other side of the bridge the surface was covered in duckweed/pollen



 the entire swan family was on the bank today


 as I crossed the bridge,I turned and saw a lady feeding them

 these ducks were having a right splash in the weedy water
 as i walked towards the Japanese garden a load of birds were flying around
From the numbers I knew they had to be green parakeets (there are loads around this area of London) - one helpfully landed in the tree,  just left of centre
the Nijima floats were sparkling

the gravel looked freshly raked - I spoke to the Kew person guarding/guiding  - she says she thinks it's done more or less weekly


we discussed last week's rain, and how I'd been o my own for quite a while first thing then

lots more people about early today








 I headed back towards the Temperate House although it wouldn't be open yet
approaching it from a slightly different route as a result.


 I crouched down and got the globe out - this is with the macro lens but just on close up programme 



swapped to the normal standard zoom lens to get both opal towers in

the lighting rigs are going in ready for Chihuly Nights, the illuminated event that starts in a couple of weeks to see them lit at night.

(yes, I will be going!)


 walked down the end of the Temperate House to these beauties...

 I then went round the corner (kind of) to the purple favourites





I debated going for coffee but decided as it was nearly 10 now to wait and do inside the Temperate House first.



 this shrub always amazes me at this time of year  it's at the top of the steps to the path down to the red cattails,  and is smothered in bees


can you see some? 

it absolutely hums!

I cant see the label, it's buried under all the leaves so no idea what it is
 walking back to the Temperate House


 fluffy clover-like flowers/seed heads
 and on the other corner, bright yellow flowers of some kind

 sat on the steps outside the Temperate House till opening...







 through the window
 the sun was really shimmering on the white glass


 the top looks like snakes today


 hanging over the edge for some overhead shots.
look very different up here

 winding up the stairs.






 I love how the plants are growing up round the Ikebana
not to mention up the pillars!

hard to think they've only been here about 16 months


 the centre section was roped off because the lighting was going up




 n my way back to the Victoria Gate (cafe) I had to go into the gallery






 back at the gate







 today's cake, lemon and raspberry "loaf"  (a loaf shaped sponge cake in case you're confused.)

radio on the table, today I was listening to the cricket.


a sunnier selfie this week

 can't resist stopping here again
 on my way to the Waterlily house




 where I got carried away again




 huge hibiscus just inside the outer door



 whipped the other lens back on..

 and headed to the Princess of Wales, dragon hunting!!


 I followed the man who feeds them back in...


 he kindly pointed this one out to me at the top of the pillar by the steps next to the mangroves.


have never noticed one up here!!



infuriatingly he moved and then shimmied down the pillar - the greenery was in the way so I couldn't focus as he did so





 down on the ground he moved to the edge of the pond.


I really wish I'd hung around a few minutes more....
 but headed under to see if there were any around on the tree like last week..



 which I noticed was flowering.

no water dragons thouigh





 the giant arum is flowering..
 or the flower spike has collapsed, think the pinky bits are the start of the bit that will open up and stink!


I walked back to the mangroves...where to my annoyance, the water dragon was now on the wall on the other side of the water.


how I wish I'd stopped to see if it swum, or jumped across the lily pads!

(swum, probably)

damn!!

 lotus flower in the pond


I walked down the back of the pond (there is an underground bit with fish tanks - never shown them as it's too tricky with the glass)


and came across
 sitting on a rock





you come out by the wall where the first one was sitting






he'd moved along a bit which was helpful for closeups!




 dragged myself away..


 and to the secret or duke's garden, not been here for a couple of weeks
 good view of the alpine house in the distance
 
a red hot poke flower (white one ha ha)  collapsed on the grass
 I love the beds in this area
 and these huge flowers always make me stop
 back through the grass garden

 there's a big bed full of echinacea at the side

arty time!



 I walked through the rock garden again

 but couldn't resist going inside the POW again on my way past..


still on the rock.
quite a crowd gathering , he didn't move
 and the one on the wall too
 time for a drink of water and a loo break, so headed out again
 Broad Walk






 I went and found a bench for a sit down for a while

still listening to the cricket.

 playing with a different programme on the camera
 to blur the background
 like this one

 then moved and sat here for a while...
 before the POW again to say goodbye to the dragons
noticed some cactus flowers I'd missed earlier


 yep, still there
 ditto
 this time though, I saw another one, one of the little ones

on the top by the water

 this time when I went through to the tree in the other room, there was a crowd looking under a big leaf...

 I stayed a few minutes watching










and then headed back to the "rock"
 where it was lunchtime!


 he hopped off towards me as I approached quietly
 the feeder left...
 but I followed... where the other dragon had come down from the wall





 how fabulous!


there was a large crowd by now
 went and said goodbye to the youngster.


 love him clinging to the little trunk
digesting his lunch! 




what a very special day. 

thanks for looking 

4 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

First, the youngsters wanted me to tell you they loved your water dragons last week, They also liked the Pagoda (I had to tell them what it was). The middle child really LOVED your last photo from last week.

Now for this week and ME. Really loved seeing the urns with their lovely flowers that matched those in the beds.

Those bees were SO impressive. Some of your close-ups were incredible. Photo 13 was a standout.

Loved numbers 34-5 and the photos of semperviviums(?).

It's amazing how part of the lake can be covered in that scum, while part is clear.

WOW, the green parakeet was amazing. I saw one at a zoo in CA, but never in the wild.

How nice to know when Kew rakes the Japanese garden beds. You know my curiosity. The balls are still favorites of the Chihuly exhibition. I also liked photo 84. That is what my hair might look like if it was a bit longer.

Gorgeous photos from the Temperate House. Lovely gallery photos, too. I was extra drawn to 131.

Loved the photos of the Waterlily House, and the exterior shot from a different direction in front of the Palm house (152).

OK, I was mesmerized by the water dragons. LOVED all the beautiful photos and the feeder feeding them, too. Thanks for taking us with you today, dear Helen.



jinxxxygirl said...

Oh H what a fabulous trip to the Kew.. I had to pull myself away after the first bunch of water dragon photos... Work calls.. but i'll be back to finish.. Thank you so much for a wonderful morning over coffee.. Hugs ! deb

Sue said...

Hi Helen, WOW! Stunning photos as always.

Read the article about the Chinese Dragons. Would love to see a purple one with an orange belly.

Hope you are having a good week. Sue

Lowcarb team member said...

Wow!
Fabulous photographs.
What a lovely day …

All the best Jan