Saturday, August 10, 2019

a very windy Kew

We've had gale force winds today but at least yesterday's heavy rain (down here at least) has gone... I therefore had a very bracing walk at Kew, but it wasn't cold. 

 the tide on the river was quite low as I walked (got blown across) the bridge.

the wind causing ripples in the water
 my usual starting point,  with some bright sunshine to accompany the wind

there were no reflections on the water due to the wind disturbing the surface, but the Summer Sun was glistening in the light


 walking down the Broad Walk

a low growing drift of alliums, little ones

 the red hot pokers seem brighter today,
 walking up the path round the wildflower meadow at the Hive
 a butterfly settled on the path but unobligingly wouldn't open it's wings again!


 I walked round past the alpine house

one or two spots of rain fell from the clouds, but nothing much
 more red hot pokers in the rock garden  beds
into the evolution garden


 I think this is chard (in the veg plots)
 and the sunflowers are doing well,,

these are low ones,not tall giants

 back across the path into the evolution garden again






you know I get carried away with the echinacheas and daisy type flowers!
no different today



 I love this area, pinks and purples
and the whites and yellows



 by the Palm House pond





I may have shown this but if so, not for a long long time


 I walked back past the entrance (debated an early snack stop but kept going)


 the sun was brilliant on Sapphire Star, simply sparkling.




 I made my way round to my purple favourites (as opposed to any of the other coloured favourites)

the wind was making the trees swirl and make patterns on the reeds but sadly don't show in the photos I don't think
 the girl I often see "guarding" the glass was here today and we discussed the start of the "Chihuly Nights" which start this week.


 I will be booking tickets at some stage, can't wait to see them all illuminated
 round the next bit!


 these were sparkling in the sun too
it was too early for the Temperate House to be open, but I walked round the outside anyway



 the sky was quite threateningly dark  (although the wind was so strong it blew the rain away before it fell)


 this one is on the phone, I love this!

the clouds behind the opal tower, especially.
 I went round to the lake, forgoing the climb up the Treetop Walkway (although someone was up there, I think checking to see if it needed to be closed for the wind)

part of the lake at the top (or bottom, never really know which) was still covered in green but I was heading the other way



 the cygnets and parents were all in the water, the man I often see hand feeding (and photographing) was at the bench getting his stuff out.  I spoke to him briefly, he said that he was glad all 7 cygnets were still there,  apparently last autumn, Dad swan killed the remaining 2 because it was unseasonably warm and he thought it was mating time again so needed the female's attention!
Hopefully these will be ok this year

 I headed round the side of the lake to the top/bottom (I always think of it as the top as it's the furthest end from the main part of the gardens)


loved this pattern the light and wind ripples was creating.
 found some large mushroom/toadstools under a tree on the bank

 the small pond down Cedar Vista

no sign of peacocks, in or out of trees
 but the hydrangeas were glowing in the sun - everything was so bright today
 including the Nijima Floats


Rowan tree (mountain ash) berries - think these seem early, but I could be wrong

there are certainly lots of them


 these are just a few of the bunches on one of the trees
 walking across the grass back towards the Temperate House, I saw a sawn off tree trunk in a patch of earth
 with a lovely mossy covering
 wildflowers under another tree
 back at the Temperate House, I sat on the stone block beside the door, waiting for 10.

the wind was making the glass rattle quite a lot on it's steel spikes,  it was quite tuneful!



 after a few minutes rest in the sunshine I realised they'd opened the door!!





 I crouched down on the steps of the staircase to get a low view of these today as there was no-one I'd be holding up on the stairs
 I was about to lean on the railings to photograph over the top and caught sight of this on the lower level of the railing.




 winding their way round the column by the downward-stairs!

 in  a large tub positioned to stop people walking round the back of the beds in the TH,  a huge white hibiscus
 and more smaller pots in the middle octagon, red ones this time
the unfurling flowers look like velvet!



 I walked through to the end
 and back again.

more Marguerites, had to stop!


 the white Ikebana
 water drops on the bottom of one of the yellow reeds





 another huge hibiscus in a tub by the door
 the TH peeking through the trees as I walked towards the gallery
haven't photographed the Macchia for a while



 back at the Palm House again
 crouching down, the wind blowing the purple flowers in and out of focus in my shot

(quite like the arty effect)
 walked through the Palm House, where this tall tree had just been drenched by a girl watering
 through into my favourite!



 glorious reflections in the water
 and a large lotus flower
 gourd with a curly stem!
 they've cut back a lot of the growth round the edge of the pond from last week (it grows very quickly though so will be back soon)

there were several large waterlilies though
 as I headed out I saw some dark burgundy red above my head -   passion flowers!
it's a really fabulous variety



 playing with blurring foregrounds
 cut down the Broad Walk
 and into the Princess of Wales after coffee and cake





 where the giant fish in the pond were being fed (catfish and a couple of piranhas)




 the little fish on the surface are the food



 I went up the steps for a better view




 and yes, the water dragon was up his column again!
 wider view to give a better idea of the area



 he  seemed quite settled so I went for a wander.


didn't find any others....



 I don't know what these are but I love them

 they are growing over a kind of arch  













I went back to the pillar
 of course, he'd come down!!







I'd missed lunchtime, but he was still munching away


 and the baby was there too
 however, the adult seemed quite territorial and when the smaller one approached he kind of chased him away
 he hopped over the path and into the undergrowth the other side, by the pond
 where the branches got in the way!



 the other one climbed a little way up a tree to eat
ever watchful!


 he was quite active after lunch!








I walked round again, out through the desert section

 must have missed these flowering - I came down some steps I don't normally use so hadn't seen them




 went back to check on these - there were definitely none of the others out anywere today



the little one had gone back to the other side again (under the mangroves)


but was right up close to the steps so was hard to photograph

 so I went off again



 bed outside the POW
rock garden waterfall

 the grasses were being buffeted sideways!


 outside the front of the POW
 I cut back down to the Broad Walk



 sat on a bench and watched the wind
 decided to head back to the shop at the cafe so back up the rest of the Broad Walk



 the sun was really shining on the Paintbrushes
 they looked fabulous at that moment


 I bought what I intended to in the shop (another scarf I've been eyeing for ages)  and
headed back to the POW one last time on my way home


the huge cactus at the other entrance, still flowering
 coming in this door I noticed this tall cactus
(I think)


with a canopy of flowers at the top

 and this huge plant
 which needed macro work!

 it's huge, and lovely!




he was still there, but no sign of little'un
 pink bananas



 purple orchid
 glowing in the sun!



as I headed to the gate, past the wisteria, just a couple of blooms from the second flowering left.


despite the strong gusty wind, it was a really beautiful day and I thoroughly enjoyed it

thanks for looking!



3 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Goodness, the vine at this end and the one at the other (I always enlarge your photos) have taken off and spread nicely.

It was here I fell asleep in my computer chair. Imagine my surprise when I saw about a gazillion M's I had managed to press as I slept. DUH!

I always love seeing the Alpine House in any shape or form. Wow to those Red Hot Pokers. They are bright and unusual. Looks like you caught some Surprise Lilies/Naked Ladies, too, although I've never seen that color.

You are right. I've never seen this about the Chinese Guardian Lions before, although I often notice them in the background.

Ah, I look forward to following you on Chihuly Nights. A TORCH? Is that what we call a flashlight?

Photo 48 is striking in that it shows the scum and the clear parts of the lake. Really a striking photo.

I was shocked by the swan story. I thought they mated for life.

I'm STILL so in love with the Nijima Floats. I truly believe they are my favorite Chihuly sculptures.

Of course, I love the cobalt blue of the object in #70. I also fell in love with #73. The repetition, the beauty, the architectural quality all made this possibly my favorite photo of the day.

I agree that # 90 is a lovely and arty photo. Captured nicely, too. I've never seen passion flowers like the one in photo 97. Well done, dear.

Really stunning day and the pink bananas had me laughing. Loved it all and loved that you took us, even though I had a good sleep in between views!

Virginia said...

Fantastic photos as always it seems to get better and better at Kew doesn't it. Utterly stunning flowers and I love it against the beautiful glass sculptures, they all blend so very well.

I hope you had a grand weekend!

Hugs

Neet said...

I lost count on how many photos you showed us this week, but there are a lot, or so it seems. When the show started I thought it was going to be a dull day (weather wise) but the second photo showed up bright an beautiful.
I haven't a clue on some of the names but there are some beautiful flower heads there with gorgeous centres that rather catch my eye. Lovely artistic pictures, you are good!
Will you be able to take photos of the Chihuly Nights? That would be spectacular to see and you are my only way of seeing it.
Thanks for my weekly trip to Kew.
Hugs, Neet 1 xx
ps I think of you often - there is a shampoo ad on tv at the moment where the girl is obviously at Kew and I always say "Helen" in my head when it comes on.