Saturday, April 6, 2019

What a difference a week makes... Kew, again

The fabulous weather of last week is a distant memory, today's visit was cold, dull and sprinkled with a few light shortlived showers... But oh, the Chihuly!!  The official opening is next week, so there is still work going on, but I don't know how I am going to tear myself away... You may get very bored with the shots! 
Anyway,  we'll start at the Palm House, of course.
 the narcissus and tulips are really opening up



you can see the Chihuly on the right too, on the steps at the side of the pond

 one of the Palm House beds
 tulip in the urns on the edge of the pond














 yay, fountain still on and a little weak sun to give some sparkle

 the weak sun was also sparkling on the Sun sculpture
 stripey tulip in the round bed at the corner of the Palm House path
 more tulips







 I knew the sun wasn't going to hang around, so headed round the pond first

across the pond towards the bed at the top of the Broad Walk


 monitoring the growth of the giant Gunnera at the edge of the pond


it seems to grow before your eyes!

 base of the plants


along the front of the building behind the pond (the one that causes those fab reflections)
a series of tubs has been planted with orangey lemon tulips.


for some reason I really struggled with macro shots... will try again next time!

 this one isn't too bad!

 there are also some tubs with heathers in.  I am not that fond of heathers, but with my "macro" head on I could be converted!


 back along the path, the reflection of the Chihuly is going to be another favourite shot!
especially framed with new growth from a tree

daffodil

 drifts of daffodils. 

walking along the path towards the Princess of Wales glasshouse, off for an early look for Chinese Water Dragons

 fluffy little flower head on a plant in the POW



 you know I don't really like the cacti section, but Elizabeth does so this is for you!



 can you tell what it is yet (UK peeps of a certain age will recognise this phrase from a tv show although given his fall from grace I probably shouldn't use it!)







yes, sloth is still here!



 jade vine still going strong


 as I walked past the panther (also still there left from the Orchid event) I noticed some little purple orchids.



they were a bit hard to get to, over the other greenery in the way...
but you know how I love a water drop or several!



 the middle cool orchid room was barred off as they were still watering, so I took this through the door to try and show the scale a bit
 more water drops!
 large fern


large palm!


 they were misting the hot tropic section, 
taken from the top looking down to where the young water dragons used to be (no sign of any of them anywhere today)
 flower spike growing from an agave or something




 on the way out, just a few orchids remain




 centre of an azalea

the backs of the unopened petals were pale pink but I didn't get any decent shots

my favourite, wish I could get in amongst them



 but luckily there are still some at the front of the bed for me


trying to get really close!










the other side of the path is a yellow one
 pale blue flowers outside the alpine house, in the rock garden
 completely empty! 

I just got this as someone entered from the other end.


crown imperial fritillaria


 gorgeous little iris in the alpine house


 house leeks (sempervivium)

outside in the rock garden


 I walked along the path at the side of the rock garden alongside where they are working on the old "family beds" area.  There was someone working by the entrance but when I asked how it was going, he was obviously not English as he didn't understand me !  So I don't  know...

at the other end though, the euphorbias were shimmering in the pale sun (which is about to vanish for the day)
t

 love them
magnolia by the hill



 dinky little flowers along the woodland pathway


 more blossom
view down the Broad Walk, lots of yellow again with all the daffodils





another look at the beds in front of the Palm House









tree bursting into leaf
 across the pond, reflections,  and you can see the tubs of tulips (may need to enlarge!)



 more tulips, these are in tubs at the top of the steps outside the Palm House, front and back
 across the rose garden towards the prunus, still looking glorious (closer look later!)




 more Chihuly  as I passed on my way...



 not sure what these are but they were gorgeous if a little blurry




 the path leading up to the Temperate House side entrance is gorgeous, developed a lot in a week


got very carried away again!


 the tulips are coming out more too









 you know how I love to shoot through branches with buildings in the background.



 quick, a flash of sunshine!


 bit of a grey sky behind that lovely pink though!


 at the end of the meadow (can't really call it a bed, as it is all grass with tulips planted in it)

did my lying down on the ground thing (only slightly damp!)



 at the top of the steps I turned back for a higher perspective


told you I'd got carried away, and there are loads more I've left out



 ok, let's go inside and see what is new.

this beautiful little iris

 there were lots all over the place, I found more a bit further on




 walking through the first intersection

coleus - easier to remember than solenostemon which is what the label said!)
close up, of a citrus fruit (it was tiny!)




right.  prepare to be amazed.







The Chilhuly and Kew websites include mention of a specially commissioned sculpture for the Temperate House.
I entered from the intersection.  It is still roped off as they are still putting the finishing touches to the works in the beds.. but.  just BUT...

 I gasped out loud as I saw it. 

lots of boxes still being unpacked (love an action shot!)


This is obviously and justifiably meant to be the main piece of the whole event.

and boy, does it deliver.

I love it!

you are going to get so sick of seeing this until October!

As I have said already, there wasn't much sun today, so some of these shots (and I have already taken loads!) are a little dull colourwise, and the backlighting is going to need to be watched!


as the centre pathways across and to the sides are currently out of use, I walked round the side to see how the Silver Daisy Bush was doing.


still gorgeous is the answer!








I realised I hadn't really taken anything to show how big a plant it is - this is just one of them
 view from the right hand side, as I was walking round.

glinting in the little sun...

can't wait till next week when I will be able to walk right underneath!


this is on a dull day!  can you imagine what it will be like when the sun shines!  or at night, illuminated - I am going to have to book to come at night when the details are released.




 this is one of the other "plantings" in the central atrium




 I went up the steps.  going to be able to get some good pics from up there.... of all of the displays of which there are several





 this is in the water by the big waterfall in the corner


I like this one too


 just WOW!  right!!


I know I should save it for when the event opens properly next week, but I can't help it!


 lots of boxes, as I said..
 work going on outside too


back on ground level,  I went to look at the pieces I had spied from above.





 not sure if this is meant to be plant-inspired or ali-baba and a snake charmer!




 I am going to have such fun framing the blue centrepiece through this!



 beautiful!  I want this!! 

 see what I mean!  makes a perfect frame (when I can get the lighting right)




another ground floor corner piece

couldn't get a good look as it was behind the barrier.



 love how you can see it all round the room!


 uncurling fern

 this is in the next intersection, the piece they were working on last week.



 bottom,
top



 there are still loads of bird of paradise about, these ones are in the borders, "au naturel" as it were 



 outside, I went to look at the sculptures being installed .. these are on the front steps




 the  er -  pile of jelly!!  it's been planted up now
 so you can get a bit closer

the temperate house through the trees


 headed back along the path past the gallery - things going on in there too - next week will be a long visit! so it's still closed
 acer


 heading for something to eat now


big camellias



 they've underplanted this one too now
 after lunch I headed past the pond and through a big tree...

 and, finally down the Broad Walk!




 veered off through the trees (above)





into the POW again (still no dragons!)

this was gorgeous!




 wanted to see how the magnolias were - still lots although the earliest ones have gone over.








 still stunning

 the snakeshead fritillary are gorgeous!  just wish they were a bit closer to the rope to get better pics





 closer look at the tall one!



 Time for a quick visit to the lake.... mr swan was preening away...



his mate is still on the nest in the middle of the little island






 not much in the way of reflection...
didn't climb up the Treetop today



 I went back into the Temperate House on my way back from the lake,.

they were "planting" those blue spikey bits from earlier.







back outside again a lot of the blossom at the far end of the TH has more or less finished


 but there is still some left!


 as I came round past the temperate house, I love how the trees seem to be growing out of the slope! 
 but we know they aren't!

 walking down to the Palm House again

 close up of the "sun" 

and that's your lot today! 

I already can't wait to go again next week, and see the whole Chihuly display, and also the exhibition in the gallery (only seen hints about what is in that, but not sure I will be able to take photos in there...) 





5 comments:

Miriam said...

Oh Helen. Such beautiful photos. What a treat.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The beds in your opening shot have really taken off in the past couple of weeks. It's good to see color other than green when I look at the beds. The Sun Chihuly is looking GRAND there, too.

I'm loving all the tulips and their different varieties. And thanks for sharing the cacti. These are rather plain, I fear. I guess I like the ones with blooms on them the best.

Favorite shots of the day begin with 47. LOVE the overall view of the Alpine house. It is such an incredible building and I love how you showed it again, this time sans humans, and how you weave through it.

Also loved 62, the tiny purple flowers along the woodland pathway.

Who wouldn't be impressed with photo 98? These remind me of the flowers that are in the Chihuly Bridge in Wichita. Yours can be seen up close and personal, though. 105 through 115 were favorites, too. I am so impressed that there will be so many of these sculptures.

Photo 128 may have been behind a barrier, but when I saw the color, I about fell out of my chair. I look forward to seeing what this becomes.

I'm almost as eager as you to see the Chihuly exhibits. I am really looking forward to seeing these through your eyes and lenses.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Beautiful photos Helen and the glass is stunning. Happy creative week, Angela xXx

Sue said...

Thanks Helen for sharing your lovely photos. Sue

Virginia said...

Well spring has definitely sprung at Kew, but oh my those glass sculptures utterly stunning and I do not envy the task of the individuals installing them (gulp).

I can't wait to see the next set of pictures.

Utterly stunning work!