Saturday, April 20, 2019

Easter Saturday in the sun... guess where!

I and the crowds, headed to Kew today for another visit to the Chihuly installation and  ... quite a lot of tulips!
There was a lovely big red sun at 6am when I woke up ...

 once I fought my way through the crowds at the entrance, I headed for my starting point...












before heading to the Chihuly installation I missed last week, I stopped to crouch down and capture the tulips in the round bed by the pond


 I crossed the grass towards the blossom ahead..





 as I came down the steps into the Mediterranean garden, I gasped - not sure why I wasn't expecting purple! 


 they are grouped around both sides of the steps (I came back later and got a wider angle shot)


this one is called Neodymium Reeds and Turquoise Marlins (2019)

the purple reeds are subtly different colours and seem to change colour with the angle you see them from and the light. 

 I am a big fan of purple!


the one in the middle reminds me of a penguin! ( I know, it's not penguin coloured)



from there I took the short walk to the tulips and the Cattails.  I knew they'd look gorgeous in the sunshine!

 whilst the blossom is going over the tulips are still gorgeous
 the sun was so bright on my camera screen I couldn't tell how good the photos were coming out...



 into the Temperate House..

love this little lily 

 not sure why this one came out so dark, as it was very sunny in there... but you know, water drops!



as I said last week, I knew this would be even more stunning with the sun on it.

might have got carried away again! 


 I hadn't noticed this clear one as part of the Fiori Verdi last week

 and the Beluga Boat looks better in the sun too

this one I couldn't see a sign for last time is simply Red Reeds.



 I walked past the Silver Bush Daisy to the steps up..

it's fading now, but has lasted for so long!






just stunning, isn't it!


 I walked around the top

 the red reeds were glowing







 trumpet vine


did another zoom selfie! 


 yep, working ok today
 can frame it through this too.  it looks redder in the photo than in real life, it's coppery.


 walked round the ground floor level again




 I love it from right underneath

 I remembered to look for the title of this one as promised..

Chartreuse Hornet Polyvitro Chandalier   2001




 walking round the outside, looking in a window to see the centrepiece
 the sun was glinting off the opal and amber towers




 through the doorway, gives you an idea how big it is
 I knew the lime crystal tower would look great in the sun



with the Pagoda in the background


 looks good with the trees around








from here it's a hop and a skip to the gallery
 not sure what it says about me that I think this looks like a glass of gin and tonic with the ice on the outside....






 this was out in the corridor


 I took it from various angles
 and you get to see something different each view
 back through the main gallery so I could find....
 ... these

as promised, close up time










they are just gorgeous



 Sapphire Star, at the Victoria Gate entrance



 closeups



 tulips at the entrance..
Summer Sun


I walked round the pond


 couldn't resist stopping at Paintbrushes again




 I promised you lots of tulips..






 huge lichen-covered branch,  Palm House in the background



 more tulips, in the beds at the steps up to the waterlily house



love the light shining through


 there was no problem with my lens misting up today as it was so hot outside

might have got carried away with this one again...



 as you can see there was a large crowd round the pond




 it's lovely
 you can the red reeds outside through the window


 the daffodils in the Palm House bed




 more tulips - translucent in the sun



 the tulips in the urns along the pond are fading and opening out, I love how blousy they look in their state of nearly-decay....


so it was play time!

 I know I should invert the photo but I kind of like them upside down




 can you tell I love these tulips!


close up on summer sun







 the round bed at the other end of the palm house looks like one petal has just been peeled down to see inside


 they're the same planting as the one the other end



I stopped and had an early lunch before everywhere got too busy  and then.....
 found a Chinese Water Dragon, hiding under the mangroves in the POW glasshouse



 there was no sign of any others anywhere though

 I didn't spend too long in the tropical sections of the glasshouse, as it was far too hot!


 this red passionflower was winding round the metal handrail along the steps up to the next level
 and was really hard to photograph - had to hang over the rail




 nope, can't resist it!



 tulips, along the Broad Walk.  no raindrops this week







  as I walked through some trees, I saw a patch of bluebells, so decided to head round the lake and then to the woodland to see if the bluebells there were out





large family of fluffy goslings!



 at the top of the lake I could see a red climbing frame or something, but didn't go and investigate - it's something to do with the children's Easter activities.



 it was cooler and more peaceful by the lake, although as everywhere else there were lots of people picnicking

 it was as I knew it would be, beautiful under the trees and I took one of my earphones out to listen to the birds (had the football commentary on on the radio)



 and yes, the bluebells are coming out




 there were some other blue flowers (wildflowers, although I heard someone describing them as weeds) - really gorgeous, not sure what they are though



dappled sunlight playing across the bluebells
 another look at the Japanese garden











the pagoda behind trees
 against a beautiful blue sky











 I couldn't resist walking through the Temperate House again though


 and stood in the doorway in a wonderful breeze looking at Opal and Amber towers
 sat on the steps for a few minutes
 walked round here again too, did the old lying on the ground level shots..





 as promised, another visit to the purple ones



got the globe out again for the trees near the Palm House


and this one was framing the Palm House perfectly. 



cut through the Palm House on my way to the exit



thanks for looking
at least you didn't get as hot as I did, walking round today!






8 comments:

Cestina said...

Oh wow! Those tulips!!!
Thank you (especially for the bluebells)
Gilx

craftimamma said...

Fabulous visit Helen but I'm so glad it wasn't me walking round in the heat (not a fan as you know). I've spent so long looking at the photos I now have to get a move on to get ready for John's hospital appointment. Lots of wonderful photos I love but my absolute favourites by a mile are the gorgeous creamy tulips with the red paint streaks. Absolutely stunning!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Words and Pictures said...

I'm blown away again... you're so right about the gleam of the glass in the sunlight - they seem to come alive somehow. What a feast for the eyes - and again, Mother Nature providing additional glories. Some of these blossom photos are simply perfect, and those translucent tulips - I want to see that in glass! You prompted me to go as far as checking travel arrangements for Kew from here - bit of a trek... we'll see.
Alison x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Is it my imagination, or have the beds in the Palm House beds at your starting point grown a LOT since last week?

WOW, the Neodymium Reeds and Turquoise Marlins are just the perfect colors for you. They are so lovely and I agree that the angle and the lighting make a big difference on each of his flowers.

The cattails are even more lovely in the sunlight. They appear to glow. You'll never convince me Beluga Boat shouldn't be renamed swans. It's lovely, though.

This post blew me away. Chihuly and tulips. Tulips and Chihuly. What an amazing combination. I'm awe struck this week. LOVED the Japanese garden a lot, too.

So sorry I'm late visiting. I hope you had a glorious Easter.

Kyla said...

Wow stunning

Diana Taylor said...

Spectactular photos as always - the glass work is jaw-droppingly beautiful and you have taken some stunning photos of the beautiful tulips and blossom. What a lovely visit - thank you!
Diana x

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

The man made displays are lovely but I adore the tulips and other flowers they’re amazing. TFS Helen. Xx

Sue said...

Hi Helen, Thanks for sharing Kew again. Sue