Saturday, April 27, 2019

More Chihuly and tulips... Kew..

Well, after last week's glorious weather, today saw storm Hannah battering the UK... Luckily the originally forecast rain for the southeast (my part anyway) held off, for the most part -  though the wind was strong...
back to a warm coat!

 I was a bit early so stopped at the churchyard on the way past
first in - no huge crowds today given the cold weather and non-bank holiday weekend.

the daffodils are fading in the beds and being deadheaded.   I did later notice (and photograph) that the next session planting - the alliums - are coming out.  Hurrah!


one of the tulip beds by the pond
the tulips are fading too, lots of them have been deadheaded too.
 raspberry ripple ice cream anyone?
it was far too cold for ice cream, I was wishing I had brought my gloves!
 so I went into the waterlily house to warm up for a few minutes.

the weed on the surface of the water has cleared (or been cleared) since last week, so the sculpture was reflecting nicely
(I got some better photos later, the cold outside and the humidity inside was fogging my lens badly)

I crossed the path to the Palm House

petal litter on the floor - bet it had looked fabulous when it was on the plant!



 walking  back out of the Palm House, the Summer Sun, surrounded by people in warm clothes - so different to last week when most people were in shorts!




beautiful blossom


 swathes of wildflowers everywhere.
I always forget what these are.



 intermingled with bluebells

the wind was playing havoc with focusing, and things kept moving at inopportune moments...







 walking through the Mediterranean garden
 loving the purple against the pink of the Judas Tree



 the blossom by the Temperate House has all gone.

 still loving the tulips
 and a robin moved to a branch on one of the trees


 inside the Temperate House

red bottle brush
yellow bottle brush





 silver daisy bush,  still going!


 ferns
 from halfway up the stairs
 trying to get slightly different views..


no sun today to make them shimmer

 didn't take AS many this week!



I've tried to concentrate on patterns and reflections in the sculptures today






 haven't looked closely at the "stem" of this one before


 there was a robin singing loudly inside, echoing around the huge space.  a lady nearby spotted it.. it was really fluffy and kept moving!


into the gallery now.


 I took lots of close ups of the sculptures in the gallery, noticing features I hadn't before
 and admiring the shapes
 I really hadn't looked at this at all closely before.


I think this room is somewhere, every time you go in, you will see something new

 just love this top piece on one of the sculptures
 and the shadows on this one.  they really did perfect the lighting


I was lucky, there was hardly anyone in there at the time I was there





 the lady whose arm you can see, was taking as many photos as me.  I've seen her at Kew before, she's a regular too!






took this one on the phone of them all. 





 as I went out through the shop, I noticed they've got some small (in size)  items for sale... had the wrong lens on to take a picture of the sale display. 
anyone got £6000 to spare?  I'll try and get a photo next week
back outside, the sun was trying to come out


 I walked back across the grass, past the Temperate House towards the Treetop Walkway



 I walked round the path under the legs of the walkway (well, round the outside of the legs, you can't walk through the wildflowers)
 took loads of pics,  the wind was really strong,


wild garlic I think


 I was a bit surprised to find the walkway open, given how windy it was.  I went up - it was blooming gusty up there and lots of people were holding on to the edge!


I thought about taking a video on my phone but it was waving about a bit!















you can't see (obviously!) how the trees were swaying, the one to the left of the walkway here was really going!




 it was quite a cloudy day and the trees are getting very leafy so you don't see as far as sometimes
 back down on terra firma,  now

I walked to the lake


 and more wildflowers







they've planted a load of acers in recent years which are getting established now,

gorgeous red!





 there was a little sun to catch the top of the red glass

 back at the Palm House, the alliums coming out that I mentioned earlier



 the gorgeous poppies that were so fabulous last week, in the urns...
 so sad.... still beautiful, but nearly finished!  I bet they'll have taken them out by next week




 Malus  huge tree,  full of blossom
 framing the Palm House nicely
 as promised, back for some reflections



it's not a misted up lens, it's the reflection!



 I love how some are completely clear, some more solid.


 back outside again, walked past the end tulip bed




 a lot of the tulips in the "paintbrush" bed are finished,
 but they are so pretty!



alliums in the Broad Walk




 I was aiming for the Princess of Wales glasshouse, but noticed the wildflower meadow at the hive is flourishing  so went for a closer look...








 Wysteria

 will get better in the next week or two
 finally made it into the POW...
 it always amazes me to see drops on these in macro mode, when you can't with the naked eye
sloth is still hanging around!

no sign of the chinese water dragons though

 more reflections
 you don't normally get a good photo of the fish in the pond





 there were more of the red passionflowers, but not all were fully out










heading back out to the exit, had to peer over the glass to get this... as you know I don't really like cacti...


 flowering yukka.... some of the flowers had bags over them, a sign said they hand pollinate them and collect the seeds for the Millenium Seed Bank




 it's quite a tall flower spike!



 iris
 I love peonies!





 rhododendron



the handkerchief tree (davidia involucrata)


glorious!






 I had a look at how the work on the old family beds is coming along - the beds are in, completely different shapes...looking forward to seeing it finished later in the summer

 viburnum, huge, covered in flowers




 walked through the Rock Garden






 pasqueflower, (pulsitilla vulgaris)

I love these, I had one in the garden a long time ago...


 love the fluffy heads



some are dark red rather than purple

 I did get carried away with their beauty





told you the wind blew at the wrong time a lot!

left this in for a laugh


 walked through the alpine house




 gorgeous!





 xanthoceras sorbifolium - beautiful!





the viburnum arch in the garden by Kew Palace


lots more to come here, must remember to check again




 with Kew Palace as a backdrop


 formal garden at the front



 lilac (syringa)
 the smell was fabulous


 iris

 love lies bleeding

 getting ready for a wedding in the Nash Conservatory... went a bit closer but they don't let the public in when there's a private event on so the security guy was waving me away!




so I concentrated on the purple-black tulips in the nearby bed


 they are such an intense colour!





 you can almost SEE the wind blowing these!
 another syringa, at the exit gate


 just love the tiny flowers



 there was a cricket match on Kew Green as I walked down the road towards the station






a huge wysteria growing up someone's house



 it was looking grey over the river
 one of the street lights
never photographed these flats before, but I have always been attracted by them - bet there's a great view from those top balconies!


Thanks for looking


hopefully next week - the start of the 8am early opening - will be sunnier!


5 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I know I'm late visiting, and I'm also just on the way out the door to head to another birthday lunch with friends. I'll be back when I can take time to see these beauties.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

As promised, I am FINALLY back to see more Chihuly and of course, the last of the tulips and daffs.

The daffs in the beds are so pale compared to the Chihuly Sun near the pond. Looks like the sloth was so popular, it will stay till it falls apart!

Of special note this week, photos 7 for the beautiful architecture in the Palm House, 26 with the single tulip ready to bloom, 27 and 28 for the robin that is so different from those you find in the states, 30 and 31 because I LOVE bottle brushes, 43 because it looked like a selfie of you alone in that big room, 48 for the closeup of that stem, 60, 61, and 70 for the glass groupings, 111 for the reflection, 114 just because, 154 because I DO love cacti, 158 because my Yucca never bloomed like that in spring, only in summer, 164 for the viburnum arch, 200 for that spiral tree in the formal garden, and 227 for the beautiful flat. Ah, to live there.

Also enjoyed seeing the cricket game. I first "saw" one on Midsomer Murders. Thanks for all these photos. Two hours early gate entry will give us a lot more photos, too (grin).

Neet said...

Love the purple and that striking blue/turquoise against the Judas tree. So very striking.
There are so many photos I would love to comment on but as I don't know the names of some of them I find it difficult. Fourteen/fifteen down from those you have some green pictures, I just love those too.
So difficult to choose any of them to stand out against the others as there is so mu,ch beauty there.
Can understand you enjoying your days out in Kew.
Hugs, Neet xx

Sue said...

Hi Helen, Stunning photos as always. Thanks for sharing. Sue

craftimamma said...

Inspite of the weather you got some lovely shots Helen and as always the tulips call to me, lol! They nearly took second place to the gorgeous iris though, the blue and white one is stunning. Glad I came back a week to check this post out as it was well worth the visit.

Hugs
Lesley XX