Saturday, September 29, 2018

the last early visit of the season - Kew

the only thing I won't miss about the early opening at Kew is the ridiculously early time I get up to enjoy them...
once again, out before sunrise.. and boy, was it cold first thing!
 as I stood on the station platform, the plane trails were tinged with the pink of the rising sun in the sky...



 there was quite a crowd in early today for the last weekend of the 8am opening. 
 and a low mist hovering over the surface of the pond which proved very hard to capture
 the moon hadn't yet gone to bed either!


 I knelt down by one of the urns for another got a the mist...


before heading down the Broad Walk





 the huge spider's web was hard to capture..

the sedums were looking amazing

 and the asters, although some of them are fading (in colour as well as bloom)
 despite the real chill ( not enough for frost mind) the sky was blue
 and the colours possibly more advanced than in the few short days since I was last here...

the Princess of Wales hiding behind the trees


 I had another go today, it looks almost black and white. 

It is the dew or condensation on the glass catching the sun that is causing such a fabulous image, as I went closer to have a look this time




 I went down the salvia border again.   Still had trouble with the pink ones... must be my eyes not responding to the pink maybe!



 dappled shade and sun

 wonderful reflection in the still pond
I was surprised to see they were watering the grass alongside the pond, although it has been quite dry... maybe they've re-seeded or relaid the turf.  the drips caught the light nicely though!

 passing the pond again as I headed off in a different direction
 glimpse of the trees through the holly hedge at the side of the rose garden
 a load of seagulls sitting on the roof of the palm house
 the branch of this tree pointing off at an angle caught my eye today



 the pagoda in the distance, the route lined with changing trees


 this one is a Pin Oak











it's reddening leaves silhouetted against the sky
there really did seem to be more colour (well change of colour) since Wednesday - bit like my hair! 





 Parrotia Persica ( a native of Iran, unsurprisingly)

gorgeous colours

 I headed for the lake, so went past the Temperate House....



 I'll say it again, I am really going to miss this fabulous light early in the mornings.

next time it will be 2 hours later ....
 patterns in a tree stump
 Temperate House's turn to hide behind the trees
 I cut through under the Walkway to the lake


you get an idea of the size (18m up)




 as I approached I could see a lot of geese and ducks on the water

 a gaggle of geese sailing under the bridge... the leader was a bit ahead!!


 popular spot!



gorgeous light


 tree on the island in the middle turning red


 stunning reflections


 it was so still and peaceful (apart from my radio in my ear playing the Ryder Cup Golf, I had to stop myself whooping and hollering as Europe played well)



rounding the top of the lake



 I headed down Cedar Vista towards the Pagoda, had a quick look at the Japanese garden, thinking there'd be lots of changing acers but they hadn't yet so will keep that for another visit.







 approaching the Temperate House from the other end, the avenue of prunus trees are beautiful
 and full of berries

 pretty little funghi



 trees are laden this year

against the blue....


 more geese, feeding in the grass
 looking up, deep red berries



 looking down, saw this leaf with a white wispy covering.


I don't know what it is, I think my cousin has come across something similar so she may remember



 decided it was time to go for a coffee and cake break (it was approaching 10 now)

so headed back past the side of the Temperate House



 I headed back to the Victoria Gate cafe hoping I wouldn't be photographing ALL the same trees again.....




 bed at the Palm House
 inside, they were decorating the beams



 sat in the sun - now gloriously warm, drinking my coffee and eating my new favourite, toffee and banana cake....


didn't stop long though, headed back towards the Temperate House, but took a different route through the trees

 I followed a little boy and his dad up the stairs to the top
 the plants are definitely growing!
 reflection in the little pond by the waterfall
 through the window
 gorgeous shadows on the ironwork
 and the floor
 back down, little flowers...



opening into pretty little amber-y yellow blooms

 pretty fluffy little (well quite tall) plant

if I photographed the right label, it's called
thamnocortus insignis...  bit of a moutful




 it was lovely, glistening in the sun
 asparagus
 cape honeysuckle



 pretty little purpley-blue flowers





on slender stems


 osteospermum, African Daisies.

glistening after a drink


 when I walked outside, the sky was amazing - obviously a busy flight day, there were plane trails everywhere....







 a wide angle was called for!

 through the window
 I walked across the grass towards the maples outside the Sherwood gallery...


 getting a bit sidetracked on the way







 this is one of my favourite autumn trees...

I sat against the trunk and enjoyed the view for a few minutes



 before heading back down the path towards the Victoria Gate













a huge English Oak tree


 with a huge canopy of leaves


 I went into the Palm House....

 where the old misting up of the lens kept happening ha ha




 Dioon Spinulosum

an endangered cycad , from Mexico - with the largest cone of any plant, according to the label.


the trunk is stunning



 I love the way inside the Palm House the light from the windows shines through the leaves of the palms and other plants..


 everything is so big!





semi misted, but atmospheric





 down at the end of one of the paths I found some gorgeous flowers
crinum asiaticum.    it was so pretty


 water lily pad



 close up  of one of the statues outside the Palm House




 I sat on a bench for a while in the sun...



 before nipping off to the Princess of Wales glasshouse


through the woodland walk, the crocus had opened, when I was there this morning in the chill early air the sun hadn't opened them yet
 large flowering cactus


 little aloe, so pretty
 echeveira leuchotricha  - soft and pretty


loved the way the light was playing on it


 there's a smaller version of this growing one of the stairways, never noticed this bigger one until today, I only stopped (looking for the water dragons) as someone was looking in it's direction..
 it was fab! and no, I can't remember what it is.








 the "big stink" arum growing still...

 so many different colours of this around.  (no, don't know what it is either)






 eucalpytus
 palm, outside




pyrus leaves.  love the coloured spots!


 it was time to head home.


the sedums on the Broad Walk in full sun now
 grasses



 big bed by the exit/entrance





and this clematis was in someone's garden, but I still had my camera out!


thanks for sticking with me, hope you enjoyed our very long walk today! 

5 hours, over 500 photos...

5 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

When you left your sweet comment this morning, I asked myself, "where will Helen take me today?" I love everything about this last early morning trip to Kew, starting with the beautiful pink sky and plane trails.

I see the urns are still filled with beautiful flowers, and the pond is reflecting lovely images, even in the fog.

You did a better job capturing the spider web than I did mine. I accidentally walked into mine while trying to photograph it. Yours was bigger than mine and more dense, too.

WOW, oh WOW. I LOVE the Alpine House with its condensation. Possibly my favorite photo of the Alpine House to date.

Lovely view of the Pagoda House from the grassy knoll. Parrotia Persica is actually what reminds me of the color of your hair! And I LOVED the selfie of you by the tree. That new do is fabulous and fits you well.

What, no climbing to the top of the Treetop Walkway today? At least the pond provided some incredible shots including the geese and the lovely trees turning colors that were reflected in the water.

Goodness, the beams on the inside of the Palm House remind me of the lovely Life in Death installation from early this year.

LOVED the photos you took in the Temperate House. One of my favs was when you looked out the window and saw the exterior AND the Pagoda House in the same shot. My other fav was the one showing shadows on the ironwork.

I'm in awe of the plants in the Palm House. The specimens are SO large, too.

5 hours, 500 + hours is about right for you, dear Helen. I'm thrilled you let me tag along, because this was different from the last time you went this week.

Do you plan anything for Sunday, or do you plan to relax for the day? I enjoyed your holiday nearly as much as you and didn't have to pay for the fare to get to the destinations!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

OOPS that was supposed to read 500 + PHOTOS. DUH. I bet you knew what I meant, though!

jinxxxygirl said...

Helen i enjoyed every moment and every photo......Hugs! deb

craftimamma said...

I'm late as usual but just remembered to catch up while I was on the laptop checking my routes for Port Sunny. What a gorgeous post this is Helen and as I'm short on time (now I've pinched an hour to devour every pic) I won't pic details but will just say I enjoyed every single photo and the colours are just luscious! Thank you for sharing with us again.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Virginia said...

I'm not surprised you sat and enjoyed the view, that place really is epic to see and the conservatory always blows my mind as obviously they took the one down at Chatsworth back in the 1920's. You look like you had another fab day!

Hugs

PS Loving the hair colour - it really suits you!