Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Making the most of things

Kew early starts finish at the weekend for the season, and the sunshine!  Time off from work too... well worth getting up before sunrise!



so early a start that the full moon was still up and the streetlights still on! 
Couldn't get a very good shot of the moon (have enough to carry without a tripod!









by the time I got to Clapham Junction where I change trains, the sun was rising and the sky looking pretty!









A slightly late and very packed (joys of travelling at rush hour with commuters) meant I "only" got to Kew at 8.10.... shock horror. 
Despite a cold start the sun was by now up and the light was fantastic.. once again, this is a very photo-heavy post!
long shadows today and a lovely blue sky!




 the light was perfect.   I am really going to miss the early mornings at Kew from October onwards. 
 the colours on the trees look so different from in the rain in the previous post on Saturday. 

 decided to take lots more manually focussed macro shots

a single water drop on a leaf..


a decaying artichoke thistle (cardoon) flower

 penstemon 

 grasses with dewdrops
 aster
(the ones of the centres were all out of focus!!)


 the light was almost misty on the dewy grass round the Hive,
 just round the corner from the Broad Walk the sun was casting shadows on the grass




 the princess of wales glasshouse



 the rusty fence at the top of the Hive
single post. 



 tree dappled with sunlight
 dewy shadowy grass



 back to the salvia border...


 for some reason the pink ones I took are again, all out of focus

 despite it being so early, there were Kew gardeners and students all over, working.
this is on the family bed restoration area.



 the Alpine house was open


outside,the sun shining through the glass was fabulous!


 the grasses were looking good too so I took time to change lens.

 gorgeous reddy, grass and fluffy too.
 teasels...
 silhouetted!
 whilst I was kneeling down to take the teasels, I saw the light shining through the red of these leaves (forgotten what they are!)




 round the other side of the flower bed, against the blue of the sky
kniphofia standing like solders! 

 red leafed geranium in the rock garden



 gorgeous autumn crocus shining in the sun, in the woodland walk


the red banana leaves are fraying - love them!! 



 the roof of the Palm House, backlit...







 still lots of green in the Mediterranean garden



 I was on a restricted time today so didn't climb up the walkway., I wanted to go to the lake for the reflections....


 which were amazing!




the sun was making the greens so vibrant
 a swan was sailing majestically across my shot




 I wanted another go at the big clumps of funghi....





I love them!












through the open doors of the Temperate House, across the width.   love the shadows















 I had a quick walk through...
 back outside, this stunning Black Sugar Maple against the blue sky....








I went for coffee and a slice of cake (the fabulous toffee and banana again) 
 before a quick visit to the Princess of Wales glasshouse, still no water dragons in view - told you they hide for weeks on end!




 the heap of bananas are still on a stone slab...
 giant monkey puzzle tree



it was time to head for the train, I had a hair appointment back in Cheam (next to the office)
 however I got back a little early so took a quick walk in Cheam Park

 where the mid-day (well 1pm ) sun was still casting shadows






thanks for looking - again - I think I am heading to London tomorrow!



3 comments:

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh my Helen! Those macro shots, the fungi and that beautiful blue sky make this such a wonderful post Off to see what I have missed now! Hugs, Chrisx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I loved seeing the displays at the Parterre beds were still beautiful, but I most enjoyed the beaty of the beds and the urns from across the pond.

I agree that the manual focus using the macro lens made for eye catching and jaw dropping photos. Even the hive was clearly benefiting from the manual focus. Rust had me perking up, too!

I'm sure the workers aren't active on the weekend, when you normally go to Kew, so this was an even more advantageous photo. And seeing the beauty of the Alpine house and the lovely succulents and flowers inside was perfect. But to see the beauty of the Alpine house from outside and the area where the grasses were were my favorite shots of the day.

Was that a crow on the roof of the Palm House? What a great view and photo. Lovely lake shots and beautiful reflections.

I take it you are on holiday and loving every minute of it. I enjoyed the trip to Kew (LOVE that last photo) and look forward to following you around London tomorrow.

craftimamma said...

I think we will all miss your early morning shots Helen but at least your last couple of visits have been particularly good weather for photographs (I'm late commenting so I know you have another post coming up tonight, lol).

Once again, the reflections taks my breath away, particularly the ones with the swan gliding past. The light is just so beautiful and the colours just stunning. I also loved the macro shots of the pretty salvia and the amazing fungi. Everything looked absolutely wonderful in the Autumn sunshine and the backlit Palm House looked fantastic.

You crammed an awful lot into your restricted visit and we got the added bonus of the pretty park in Cheam too.

Looking forward to tonight's post.

Hugs
Lesley Xx