Saturday, September 22, 2018

Kew - in the rain

Something happened at Kew today that hasn't all summer -  it rained!  fortunately not right from the very outset... but by the time I left my hair was quite wet!  Being so thick it holds a lot of water..
Anyhow...
 it was already dull though as you can see by the sky!
 rambling roses in the Broad Walk

 as I walked down the Broad Walk where I noticed that a lot of the colour is fading with the advancing season, I spied colour off to the left in the trees, so I would soon deviate from my normal route

 Red Oak leaves definitely turning
 seemed to have had trouble focusing on these, this is the best of the ones I took.

Lirope.



 "fluff" in the Broad Walk
 asters still looking largely good though
 and I never tire of the drifting rudbeckia

 there's a large bird sitting on the very right hand edge of the Hive.. a crow, I think
but the geese were flying around..


 off to explore the trees..

 it was a shame the sky was so grey, but maybe next time!



 Liquidamber.. you can see where this tree gets it's name




 I read somewhere that the colour this autumn will be fabulous, but short-lived because of the heat in the summer...

so I am allowing myself to get carried away with the ones I share, just in case!


 still plenty of green though

 the contrast of colours is always fabulous.













couldn't do my usual trick of getting the light through the leaves, there being not enough light

all I got were silhouettes



 strong winds earlier in the week (although not as bad down here as elsewhere in the country) have caused lots of leaves to drop..  these were thick enough to rustle through, despite being a bit damp



 berries everywhere

and acorns



 Sargent Cherry ( a prunus species)




 the large blooms of the colchicums (autumn crocus) mostly blown to the ground

raindrops from overnight, not yet raining..



had to keep turning to check vistas and colours..


 leaf - and some kind of nut - litter on the floor

I imagine the squirrels have had the contents!

 I found myself at the lake  - another flock of geese flew into shot.... couldn't avoid the life jacket in the way, but it makes a nice splash of colour!


 the man I saw last week feeding the swans had just sat down and was throwing some food into the water and at his feet and was taking photographs... a huge gaggle of geese came running up for breakfast!

I left them to it

I rode the lift up the Treetop Walkway


the trees all around were full of green parakeet that were flying all about... fast!

cue trying to get them in focus and not in silhouette....

 they were playing, swooping and diving and landing in trees.  I tried to creep closer but they kept flying off again
 in the end I gave up
 back on the ground, this squirrel was much happier to pose, too busy eating to run away





I carried on my way... my eye caught large clumps of funghi..


























































as I was talking the photos, a Kew truck came round the corner.  The driver pulled up and stopped to chat - asking me about my camera and what lens I was using - and if I shot on auto or manual.. When I said auto, he said, try switching to manual (the lens has a manual setting) .....




 I went back to the biggest group of funghi.....wow!!







that's quite a difference, could get focused much closer!
 

 amazing texture on the surface of the funghi









as you can see, a huge clump - this was the biggest
 needs practice though (or I need to start taking my reading glasses!)  but love the red of the holly berries...









 this one is better, raindrops on the crocus
 more red trees
 a little bit more light for a while...







 twisted tree trunks





after being distracted again, by the colour I headed for breakfast...












it was getting on for 10, 

 large fallen leaf




as I sat outside eating and drinking my coffee, it started to spit with rain. 






the jets round the fountain (my fountain!) that have been off all summer - maintenance I think - were on, although only a little... Good to see it working again.





 round the back of the pond the Gunnera leaves are drooping, not sure if from the weather or just the end of their season...













 I passed a bench with a broken branch propped on it....


some time later I came passed it again and it had been moved to the grass...

it had obviously snapped in the bad weather
 couldn't see the label on this.. lovely purple though




 the family beds, mostly emptied for the rejuvenation of the area, the paths are now blocked off from access to allow the work to be done





On Gardener's World yesterday they were talking about Salvias and how fabulous they were at this time of year.


they weren't wrong


 the bee thought so too











 I went into the Princess of Wales glasshouse.







 no sign of water dragons though again




 the giant arum is growing again.




back outside, raining quite hard now,




 I imagine they'll be clearing the Parterre beds at the Palm House before long... but still packed with colour for now.





 still lots of roses too..
 I walked in the rain to the Temperate House...





 unfurling fern fronds


 the tree ferns are growing
couldn't see what this was...











 edge of leaf of a red banana plant




 close up of the bottom of an urn in the doorway.


time to go, didn't want to get any wetter, so put away the big lens and headed off...




but walking down the Broad Walk on my way to the exit, couldn't resist taking the camera out from inside my coat where it was staying dry, for the water on the alchemilla mollis (lady's mantle)


always love it



Hopefully next time I go it won't be quite so grey, or wet!

7 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

In less than 10 minutes, I'm off with my friend Sally to visit a museum for Museum Day. I'll be back later today, because you KNOW I read every word and enlarge every photo you show. No time now, but later I'll be able to enjoy the photos you shared.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm finally back and ready to check out your awesome trip to Kew, yet again.

Looks like autumn has started showing its beauty already in your world. Here it's so hot, I'm not sure we'll ever have an autumn. I do like how you always manage to find the most beautiful lavender, whether it's a single bloom, or spread out int a field.

The colors of the trees are spectacular. I couldn't believe the beauty already showing on some of those trees. I love the greens, reds, and yellows all mixing together. To me, those are the colors of autumn.

OMgoodness. I have NEVER seen a green acorn before. That photo was priceless to me.

Those geese are EVERYWHERE. Do they fly south, or stay like they do in my neighborhood? Have I mentioned that pairs mate for life?

I know you mentioned the man at the pond, and I realize you took a LOT of close-ups, but I only saw ONE person in all the photos you took. You must have felt you had the place to yourself, at least for awhile.

Those fungi were amazing. It's amazing what happens when you take your camera off auto. I was super impressed with these photos. The Kew worker knew what he was talking about.

Your fountain is still beautiful, but the jets are a bit puny. At least they are working, although it looks like there is something keeping the flow from working properly.

Salvia and bees. What could be better? And I am still impressed with the color of the displays at the Parterre beds. I am not looking forward to losing this view each week you go to Kew, and also losing the color in the urns around the pond.

I am in awe that you were able to shoot in the rain and still keep your camera dry. LOVEd the final photo.

One question. In photo 48 with the green parakeets while you were on the Treetop Walkway, what is the green and gray thing on the bottom right?

Thanks for letting me tag along, even if I am late doing so.

Miriam said...

Wonder pics Helen. O particularly love the changing colour of the leaves ... O love this time of year!

Miriam said...

Excise the bad typing.... O is obviously I!

Virginia said...

Oh all those autumn colours are lovely, we too have had some of that wet stuff recently, but according to my Mum the dams need them as they are very low.

I'm loving all those flowers too, I need to renew some in my back garden as the pots are looking decidedly drab at the moment.

Thanks for sharing your visit

craftimamma said...

It was still a lovely visit Helen in spite of being grey and a bit damp. Like your other commentors I love the changing colours of the trees but there are still some pretty blooms too. I love those Asters and the roses are still beautiful. The fungi photos are pretty awesome and the final shot of the raindrops is beautiful.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Gorgeous Autumn colours - even though you got wet! I think we need to go to Sizergh this weekend and Dunham next week! The fungi looks great and what good advice from truck man!! Hugs, Chrisx