Saturday, August 25, 2018

Kew - Raindrops on Roses and....

Well there was a real autumnal nip in the air this morning as I set off shortly after sunrise to the station.
 as I got to the end of the road I could capture the image I'd seen briefly from the window as I came downstairs...

beautiful!
 gates opened promptly at 8... only another month of this treat for this year ...


 click to see the spiders web
 sunshine through the canna leaves


 you know I can't resist raindrops... left from last night, I hasten to add

the alchemilla mollis always looks fabulous










and on the end of an agapanthas flower


and  daisies (think these are Michaelmas daisies)
 love this end of the Broad Walk, huge swathes of yellow and purple



and raindrops on the Hive.  well, the safety perspex!


 outside the Princess of Wales glasshouse is a huge Agave.  complete with spiders web

 more raindrops (it rained a lot last evening/overnight!)



 raindrops on dahlias...
 I am really proud of this shot, when I downloaded it I saw the reflection of the dahlias in the raindrop on the bud!  Love this one...


 the light this morning was glorious

it was also warming up a little too (thankfully)


 including this for Elizabeth as I know she likes the alpine house
 the squashes and pumpkins (either/or I am no expert) are looking colourful
 more raindrops.....
bit of a theme today

this is called brillantasia nyanzarum.... in case you wondered!


 they make quite a display en masse!
 this seems to be getting pinker - could be the blue sky backdrop!









can't resist a teasel either!



fading echinacea, still beautiful


 back on the Broad Walk now, heading for coffee and cake.. breakfast time again!

I was criss crossing the path, as I took this one, I saw on the other side,





the drift of small alliums glinting in the sun..

 magnificent sight
 raindrops again, on the planting map of the Broad Walk
 light through branches, love it.


(family joke!)
 the canna again
 yes, Elizabeth, they're still planted
 blue sky behind the Palm House
after breakfast I cut through the Rose Garden

hips on one bush


there were a surprising number of blooms still
although it is still August I suppose...



 raindrops on roses, as promised!

I loved how the light was shining on and through these petals


 dappled shade,





 the shrub that is always full of bees was again.


although I don't think they can all be bees as they looked so different...






 sat outside the Temperate House for a few minutes till 10 when they unlock...

love cloud watching!



 love the shape of these leaves, they have grown so far up their supporting pillar

 I headed for the lake, walking round the furthest end for some great reflections in the sunshine...




 sadly the shot I went for before this, of the geese coming in to land on the lake, is too out of focus to include...



 I love these... not sure what they are.... purple loosestrife possibly or am I making that up (I know the plant exists, just not sure if this is it...)

 about a year - or maybe two... ago I followed a group of people round the lake who were looking at this tree and discussing something... at the time I hadn't been able to see why they were so fascinated.... today I saw the hole right through the piece of trunk...





 only the one swan to be seen today...


 more gorgeous clouds
holly hedge


 a slightly misted lens view of the waterlily pads!
 oh-oh, signs of autumn in the woodland walk bit,
colchicums (naked ladies!)


 cyclamen

 something called white baneberry...
and a red baneberry!



 inside the Princess of Wales glasshouse now..

lizard hunting again!
 love the red edges to these lily pads

 lotus flower (and seed pod)

 yay!!

found one


 back to the Broad Walk off to find Gnomus in the Temperate House now!
 big cloud... luckily it sped on by

 next to the giant gunnera, back of the Palm House pond,

 Hello Gnomus!

it's the final two weekends of Gnomus's appearances and also Cirque Bijou,





 I hung around for 15 minutes till the first performance of the day of Cirque Bijou.

to my surprise, the girl who is usually the rigger (counterweight) was performing today.

to my fury, when I got home and checked them, the photos are all over exposed, because I had stood at the other side of the performance area, and the sun was coming through in front of me.

I have adjusted them as best I can so I can include a few.
but most are not salvageable.

such a shame, as she was working as you can see, with two straps, not the bar that the man uses.



 some of them in the air, were ok-ish...
 I hadn't noticed whilst I was there, as I was watching/photographing,

not that I could have done anything as I couldn't have moved to the other side

 back outside I sat on a bench and cloud watched again whilst eating a snack..
 love the clouds reflecting in the glass

 Gnomus came back for the guide to the other half of the temperate house

 one of the puppeteers

 Duck!! there's a low doorway...
 and he was off again...










Decided to watch the Cirque Bijou again, from up the top of the walkway, so at least these pictures are a bit better!

but I hadn't taken as many photos second time round!

 shame, because she was very good, and making some great shapes!
 although this is possibly not the most flattering shot I could have used!

needs must though

 I decided to head for home as it was 2pm now... long visit today!


more cloud watching
 walking past this huge shrub, it was highly perfumed, a bit like jasmine (obviously not jasmine though)  couldn't get far enough under it to find a label!
and through the Rose Garden and out...


thanks for joining me, let's do it again next week!





6 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You live in a lovely area, Helen. And you get good views, too.

I was surprised by how much shadow was on the opening shot of the Parterre beds at the Palm House this week. The sun is starting to get lower in the northern hemisphere.

Where did you take the photo of the canna leaves? That was a very different urn than I've seen in the past. Speaking of urns, the ones around the pond are still looking colorful, even after all they have been through this summer. Seeing the urns all in a row was fun, too.

That shot of the dahlia reflection in the bud is definitely one that could win a prize. It is frame worthy, too.

Got to admit. That is one HOLY tree trunk.

Had to laugh because you have those geese that seem to invade Kew, too. Ours are called Canadian Geese, but they may go by another name in England.
Yes, I LOVE the Alpine house and had no idea it was so close to the rose pergola. Beautiful shot. Thanks!!

As always, I know how much you love lavender and purple. Your photos show that. But I was really taken by the raindrops on the planting map of the Broad Walk.

I'm saving that photo of the holly hedge to show my holly bush. Maybe it will aspire to be a hedge, too!

That girl on the rope was good, and I was pleased to see photos, even though YOU think they were a bit washed out. I was just happy to see her performing. And of course, I LOVE GNOMUS, too. Loved how the puppeteers had him duck. That was priceless.

Thanks for taking us and YES, I'l go with you again next week.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Amazing photographs Helen and it will be lovely to see the seasons changing as you take more pics. Happy Bank Holiday, Angela xXx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow Helen - that was an early start, but so worth it to catch those raindrops from the day before! I love seeing these changes since we were there back in April! I realise now that I should have started at the post after I last visited here!! The girl doing the acrobatics on the straps looks fabulous and of course Gnomus!!
As for the bees. I read an article a while ago that said there are over 200 bee variations in the UK - I know we had quite few different ones on the overgrown mint last year! I think I had better travel back in time now!! Hugs, Chrisx

craftimamma said...

Wow, Helen what a fab post with some of the most gorgeous shots! Favourite just has to be the dahlia reflected in the water drop. What an amazing shot! Coming a close second are the raindrops on the purple daisies.

You still managed one or two nice shots of the girl going through her paces and I love the ones of BFG (Gnomus) although he makes me feel a little sad....he has such a sad face.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Virginia said...

Well I thoroughly enjoyed my wander around Kew gardens with you this morning, thank you for sharing the beautiful photos!

Carmen said...

I'm glad you put what time you left as I was wondering how long all that took to wander around. I've never been but every time you post these I think I really must go.

I love all your photos, you have such a good eye but especially the one with the reflection in the raindrop and the puppet crouching to come through the door stick in my mind.

Gorgeous x