Saturday, August 11, 2018

A Milestone post ... and Kew, of course

so this is post 200 of "photosbyh"  - the blog I started to keep my (mainly Kew) photo posts separate from the crafting blog at "stampingbyh" 
so it is fitting - and entirely expected - that this 200th post is from Kew!    Wonder how many photos I have taken since I started documenting it so thoroughly... many thousands, especially since I got my digital camera.

Let's get started! 
 the 8am sky was blue..  it was gloriously cooler than of late however although before long I shed my 'hoodie' I'd worn

  loved the way the light was playing through the trees at the top of the Broad Walk

 There has been quite a bit of rain over the last day or so, and the drops were glinting in the sun




 like my friend Lesley I love the daisy type flowers. 

 there were hundreds of bees busy...


 the sunlight through these was stunning.  couldn't capture it to it's best though sadly
 the trees behind the Broad Walk were making huge shadows across the path


 these were still completely sodden from yesterday's rain! 


 the wildflower meadow at the Hive is less colourful, but no less beautiful now
 the path is in there somewhere (artful angles!!)
 not a cloud in the sky...
 view across the meadow down to the Broad Walk

 cannas outside the POW

 sempervivium (house leeks) in the alpine house

 the waterfall outside the alpine house was really furious, all the rain had really filled the pond too, the level was much higher than last time I noticed




 loads of planes coming into Heathrow making plane trails all over the sky (had a FB discussion last night about not liking clear blue skies but preferring clouds for interest, but plane trails are just as good!)
 more daisies for Lesley!

 there were so many bees on this too


 not sure what this is, but it is a beauty!  tumbling all over the top of the wall to the Duke's Garden

 the lady who's hat you can just see had also stopped to examine it closely
 dappled light on a flower bed
 !! 
 so much purple this year (I am drawn to purple plants)
 thought I'd take this of one of the sign posts so you can get an idea of the layout
 walked round the back of the pond for my breakfast...

 beautiful reflections
this was my view whilst I ate, near the main Victoria Gate entrance (that isn't the entrance you can see, just two signposts)

er... breakfast... a new cake on offer, banana and toffee.... yummy.  sweet, not healthy, but lovely!

 I went back past the Palm House parterre beds after breakfast, and cut across towards the Temperate House





 I don't know what this shrub is, but you can probably see it is absolutely smothered in bees.  there were hundreds..

 the side end of the Temperate House

 more plane trails and a little cloud, too..
 nearly 10, so sat on the steps for a few minutes to wait for them to unlock the doors!


more plane trails!

the wide angle got an outing..outside...


 and inside too
 it's been a while since I shot in wide angle








winding round the staircase


 so I swapped lenses again

 walking through the Temperate House trying to get different views for you...



 outside, dappled shade again


 walked past the Treetop Walkway, but didn't stop

 I was headed for the lake as I didn't go last time...
and I knew the reflections would be great today

 so back to the wide angle!

 and I got carried away







 the adult swans were preening in the shade... no sign of the cygnets.  I heard a couple commenting on that too, but maybe they've just struck off for independence!

 away from the Sackler crossing, the water was covered in weed. 


pretty, (if you like that sort of thing) to look at. 
stopped at a lichen covered bench to change lenses again


I've noticed the benches round this tree but never looked at the names, they all commemorate crew and staff on board the Lockerbie plane.. how have I never looked?? 

 the sky looks so big in wide angle!!
 walking back up the route to the Palm House...
 still quite a lot of roses, a second flush I think for some of the varieties..

 so I played games with the Palm House!
















before sitting on a bench for a while








and then heading into the Waterlily House
Had I noticed the blurry pink flower when I took this I'd have moved before taking the shot..






the light through the roof was dappling on the waterlily pads...



 the lotus flowers have almost all gone, but the seed pods are quite majestic!

 the gourds are growing and were causing a lot of interest from visitors
 reflection...
and the original



 looking through plants.
 at the Victoria Plaza shop I noticed these - there were several.  Cute, I like them.  not the price though so didn't bring one home with me (£28 I think they were...)
 back at the Temperate House I stopped and ate a sandwich


I could hear a loud voice inside...

 Gnomus was back! you may remember him from several weeks ago.

the group performing with him haven't been every week, but I was there at the right time today


I tagged along to the (large) group...
 I had the big lens on again by now, so have some good closeups



 but I had had my sandwich and hung around to see the Cirque Bijou again, so approaching 12.30 I took a place up on the balcony whilst they got ready down below..
 the cellist warming up...
 wish I knew his  name... applying chalk to stop his hands feet and ankles slipping...
 a crowd gathering...
 his lady "counterweight" running up and down the steps  to raise and lower his swing..

 a big crowd today


 I didn't take lots and lots, the routine is the same each week, but just enjoyed the performance
(I can't resist taking some each time though)





 no trip up here either today!


the temperature had climbed to about 23 (73ish I think)

and although there was a lovely refreshing breeze, I figured that as it was quite busy in the Gardens, lots of people would have booked tickets.
 sat on the grass for a few minutes, before deciding I needed a drink





but it was nearly time for another visit by Gnomus....

I headed for where he comes from...


 round the back of the Marianne North gallery!



which I've never shown you before...








here he comes!


 I think I told you before he's manipulated or created by the people who developed War Horse
 I decided I needed a drink more than I needed to run after him to the Temperate House!



walking back round the pond with my beaker of water (went for the free option!)

I decided to nip into the Princess of Wales glasshouse (after a trip to the loo.... found one without a queue that is hidden away and not many people think of)




What a good decision that was (the POW I mean..)
 one of the Chinese Water Dragons was under the mangroves..


they are such beautiful lizards.





 I was taking (multiple) photos, and a child came up with her parents and said, oh, another lizard...


so I knew there was another around today...




 I walked round the hottest most humid zones of the POW till I found it...


they can sit so still for so long...

 this one is much greener than the other one.


no idea why, sorry!




but I got some great closeups

didn't move, didn't blink!

such a treat!

I have never seen two in the same day before,
there are apparently 7 or 8 throughout the POW, in the hottest zones.
I've  seen them in 4 different places so far now.

 Heading home, happy now...

lots of pine cones on this tree.




 beautiful pink-red canna
 bed by the exit/entrance at the Elizabeth Gate

 more bees, more daisy like flowers for Lesley!



so here ends my 200th 'photosby' post.

yes, most of them are Kew... yes most of them have hundreds of photos... well that is kind of the point of the blog!

hope you've enjoyed today's visit .. my legs were sore when I got home... I was there for nearly 6 hours today - although only (!!) took 290 photos today...




Thanks so much for visting and for the comments that some of you are kind enough to leave, it means a lot to know you were here looking!

6 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

A delight as usual H.... thank you so much.. Hugs~ deb

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

A great milestone, Helen. You got RAIN!! What good news.

It's always good to see bees hard at work. These are wonderful shots. I'm a BIG fan of bees.

I could almost hear the raging of the waterfall outside the Alpine House. Beautiful photos.

Loved the waterfall in the Temperate House, too. The views with the wide angle lens were wonderful.

I got caught up reading about the Lockerbie bombing, something I never heard of before.

LOVED the views of Gnomus. These were all fun to see, including his behind! And of course I became engrossed in the architecture of the Marianne north gallery. The landscaping is lovely there, too.

What a great treat to see the two Chinese water dragons. That was truly the icing on the cake, as were the bees. Thanks for taking us today, Helen. SO much to see and enjoy.



craftimamma said...

Just had a lovely long browse through what is a very fitting post to celebrate 200! Thank you for the lovely daisy shots, somehow they always make me feel happy! What also made me feel happy were all the bees.......how many??? It's wonderful to see. I also loved the lake reflection shots and definitely the ones of Gnomus....I still think it's the BFG found his happy home.

Thanks as always for wearing your poor legs out on our behalf. I know even if I were to go I definitely wouldn't manage to get round as much as you do, lol!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

You are so lucky to have such a great place to take your photographs. These are all brilliant but the lizard is a stunner and will help me with a little project I am doing at the moment which you will see soon. Have a great week, Angela xXx

Anonymous said...

Stunning photos as always Helen. A wonderful celebratory photo account of your visits.
Have you approached Kew to reproduce any of your photos as cards, gifts, etc. I'm sure they'd sell well.
Thanks for your insight at Kew over the years and the amazing photos you take. Always thoroughly enjoyed.
Hilary

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! This was a fabulous visit - the tree walk, the acrobats, the cellist, the lizards, sky trails (yes, I find them fascinating!), beautiful reflections and all those gorgeous blooms! No wonder you get up so early! Hugs, Chrisxx