Saturday, January 20, 2024

an Icy Kew

 We've had a real cold week, luckily  no snow here.  But today was meant to be a little milder with some sun, so I was hopeful of a good walk at Kew.

I had to go by bus today as there were engineering works on part of the train route so didn't have time for breakfast at the cafe first today - the bus seemed to take ages.

There were lots of people waiting by the time the gates opened 


the pond at the Palm House had frozen - I imagine it's been like this for several days, 



I always love it when the pond freezes, it shows off the plants well and it's so funny watching the birds sliding about



I had wrapped up very well for the cold ; including thermals  
my legs were still a bit cold though, I wish my coat was a bit longer.

Oh for some 70's (80's?)  inspired leg warmers!! 

It wasn't as cold as I had thought though, it wasn't too bad at all. 


I thought more of the plants on the Broad Walk would have been frosty,  the hellebores at the top seems very droopy and unhappy, they obviously didn't like the week's weather
but the euphrobia are growing
the low lying leaves were covered though
I turned towards the POW  





lots of signs of Spring

(and I did see the stirrings of daffodils along the Broad Walk too, a few inches of growth)
the rill that runs round the POW had partly frozen, it was kept from totally freezing as there is a little pump partway along.

I walked along the outside of the POW (it's closed for the orchids to be installed) and had a sneak peak - you can't really see much but behind the cherry picker (the green machine) you can see what looks like one of their big animal structures in progress.  
Time will tell... 



I walked along the top path of the rock garden 

pale wintery sun through the alpine house

which was my next stop


through the other door of the alpine house, the waterfall in the rock garden you can see on the left big lumps of ice although on the right the water is still flowing - it's obviously not as cold as it has been ! 

lots of bullrushes starting to explode - they are in the middle of the pond so you can't get any closer 

from the side


hydrangea in the evolution garden
still a few physalis "skeletonising"  nicely
and a few at the back of the bed


walking through the evolution garden 



frost thawing on the leaves 
but not yet on these












back at the Palm House 
witch hazel  (I should have gone to the winter garden I realise now, whilst I was at Kew)








the frozen pond from the back
the little path (staff only) across to the island 










mahonia

the dogwood really looking good along the pond 










I decided to head to the cafe for refreshments - as I'd not had  my cafe breakfast this morning 


it's been ages since I've eaten at Kew - and the sausage rolls seem to have shrunk!  the hot chocolate (in it's re-usable cup ) was lovely.
the re-usable cups seem to be a permanent thing in this cafe.  Good for them
next stop was the lake - also partly frozen 
you can tell because the duck's feet are on ice not underwater!
Peter had been at the gate when I was waiting, he'd obviously been and gone, but there was still some seed on the ground the ducks were finishing 







the mandarin ducks are so pretty






the sun reflecting in the ice, was trying hard but not getting far with brightening up the day much


Still, the January blues I was feeling last week had gone and I was having fun today.


the other side of the crossing was also frozen, and the gulls were sliding about all over the place
some took off as I walked across the lake(crossing) 
there were some nice patterns



the crossing was wet from melting frost so I didn't put my bag down to change lens, but used the phone


some great reflections 



on the way to the Temperate House, 

this is near the treetop walkway, which I didn't explore today
the sky looks grey but it is really the low sun distorting things
in the davies exploration house across the path from the Temperate House

the strawflowers have been cut back, but i was delighted that my favourite Silver Daisy Bush is starting to flower again 

and into the Temperate House, pots of narcissus are growing well and will be flowering before long 



I climbed up to the viewing platform


not sure what these purple berries are, but the plant was covered in them

there was a large group heading round to the left so I went to the right... I'm glad, as I would have missed this..  it's close to the platform but the label will be at ground level....

further round




and I could see my favouirte from the top of the steps easily this week 



and these as i walked down the stairs 


back down on the ground

these leaves had nice patterns
the tree tomatoes from underneath.







there was enough light to shine through this plant
geranium on the ledges in one of the octogans

these are still hard to reach above eye level 

I really hope some develop lower down soon - I think I probably said that last week too!







loved the red undersides of these leaves at the other end of the temperate house


outside and heading back to the exit


ivy

myrtle


prunus starting to bud - can't wait for the beautiful spring blossoms later

lichen 


the sun was still trying - lots of shadows 
mu cousin had shared some liquidamber earlier this week still with leaves on, and I found one too







I couldn't resist a final look at the frozen pond before leaving 

lots of gulls here now sliding around
the Princess of Wales in the distance

I noticed one gull on the head of the lion beside me as I was photographing the pond


great reflections 




and then it was time to head home.  I had planned a train route to avoid the bus replacement service (should have gone for that as it turned out) ....

just after catching my second train, we were stopped at a red signal... the driver announced it was due to a trespasser up the track on the line so all trains were stopped.... we were delayed about 15 minutes so of course I missed my next connection, but I was home half an hour after I had intended.  
Thanks for looking, and let's go again next week - the ice should have gone, it is meant to be "warming" up a bit....  See you then. 

1 comment:

Virginia said...

Oh the joy of colour in winter and icy days always lead to the colours really popping, the dog woods look fantastic.

Loving the purple flower in the alpine house too, so very pretty and delicate.

I think the shrinking sausage rolls is definitely a sign of the times it is either that or doubling prices, honestly it does make you shake your head in disbelief sometimes.

I hope you've had a good week.

Hugs