Saturday, November 4, 2023

Kew

 It was a late start today as Kew now only opens at 10 which luckily meant the heaviest rain had stopped.

it was still drizzling though as we got in at 10.


there were lots of these signs up all round Kew - Christmas is coming!  the elves were at work all over the place.






so I walked round the pond first 

the giant gunnera have been cut back, partly for winter and partly to make room for the viewing platform for the light show as part of Christmas at Kew
there were puddles....
but lots of colour  - the leaves on the dogwood were fabulous.

I decided not to go down the Broad Walk, it looked a bit lacking in colour


unlike the cherry trees round the Rose Garden

look how wet the paths are! 


but first I went into the Waterlily House as it closes after this weekend for winter  and they will empty it out completely
I had it to myself!  








last few passionflowers round the pond - I've really loved this year's feature flower in here,  although the humidity was playing havoc with the lens as usual














a final view from the doorway.
back out into the drizzle - needed to find somewhere to balance the rucksack to change lens...  decided on a waste bin at the top of the Rose Garden and just about held onto the brolly as well.
and of course, blogger is changing the order of the pictures




(phone)

despite the wet, the colours of the leaves really pop 




I took the path towards the lake


turning round frequently 
for the view behind me



blogger is so frustrating today....


these is nearer the lake

the sun was starting to come out and brightening everything up
at the crossroads where the path splits towards the lake  -  more signs of Christmas, this is new from last year, don't remember seeing this before


back near the lake crossing,  thanks blogger.


there was still enough light for reflections in the baubles

tree near the lake crossing.  just beautiful



lots of colour round the lakeside 

Kim and I have often wondered at these roots


Kew posted on social media this week about them

 hopefully the quote I've pasted from X will stay...
These are called 'pneumatophores' and act like a snorkel for trees, supplying oxygen to the main root submerged in the waterlogged soil.
I squelched and slipped my way round the lake, the path was pretty muddy and at one stage I nearly fell over
the lake was full! 



shortly after this as I worked my way back towards the palm house I met Peter on his way to feed the wildfowl.  


I took the path - Holly Walk -  toward the Temperate House
lots of berries.


I was mostly keeping off the grass to keep my feet as dry as possible.

It had however stopped raining 

I did have to go on the grass to get close enough to these dripping holly berries
into the Temperate House



the viewing platform wasn't open though so ground level only.


they've had the TH closed during the week to dismantle Queer Nature but it was open again today




on one of the window ledges I found some scilla 
you know they are a favourite!
I crouched down for a low angle of this Erneste,  and could hardly get up again!  Where's Kim when you need her..... 

as I walked on, I noticed a little snail under one of the leaves... well, not so little.  

exiting at the far end 
the sun was now shining brightly, I discard gloves, hat, undid my coat....


the green netting is barring a grassy path towards the pagoda that is being re-seeded by the look of it 
loving the sun through the leaves

I love autumn!  






I took the route to the Japanese garden






liquidamber tree




I had to change lens again to catch the wider scene 

















at the Pavilion cafe.



I debated another gorgeous hot chocolate, but had a headache and wasn't in the mood for it... next week maybe



I also didn't bother changing to the macro for close up of these lovely berries, today.



and I seem not to have taken any on the phone either which would have zoomed in



the grapes were looking good though



view of the garden at the pavilion cafe 

looking towards the Palm House 





outside the gallery


so much blue sky now!  wasn't expecting that from today's forecast - it was due to be partly sunny around mid-day but didn't think it would be this nice.

the phone exaggerated it a bit



I went into the gallery.


It was absolutely pitch dark in the first couple of rooms, i couldn't see where I was going..
so this was the only picture I took,


and one on the phone.


I did stand and watch for a couple of minutes, didn't notice it move 


as you move through the next corridor there is someone warning you about the strobe lighting on the next feature,  I found it hard to look at it because of that,  and didn't try a photo.


Emerging into the shop from the gallery, you blink and have to re-adjust your eyes... 

and was pleased to emerge into daylight again



Camellia Walk is still closed whilst they erect Christmas lights



i found a mushroom -  I thought there would be more today but maybe didn't look in the right places.

enough sun for shadow selfies!  I am using the umbrella as a walking stick!



I did take to the grass to get back to the Palm House  - this is looking behind me,  more clouds looming, but they didn't bring rain





I did go into the cafe at the entrance for a cup of tea and some paracetamol, no cake, this week either!

I sat inside as they've moved the outdoor tables and chairs ready for the food court for Christmas.. they'd have been very wet anyway


I was going to go straight home but detoured to the Princess of Wales conservatory



where I got some puddle reflections 


the acer is now yellow rather than red, and as you can see, has shed lots of leaves on the ground!

there weren't any cacti flowering today, but the shapes of this caught my eye

the sun had temporarily gone in so these leaves weren't' lit up as they often are
as I approached the door from the cool orchid room, the lady who is often their painting was just setting up and planning her view.

She recognises me now and says hello

without the macro I couldn't get a good close up 
new fern coming

the "Kew Gardens" passionflower had 2 open blooms,  but again wrong lens to catch it on the camera


I tried on the phone 


better!  

I took a photo of the whole thing - you can just see the 2 open blooms

It has made a great curtain, but the flowers didn't seem to match up  - maybe if they leave it for next year it will do better, 
outside and about to head for home



look at the blue sky!

alpine house playing shadow selfies too!
next few out of order, but not changing them...


the acer at the corner of rock garden and evolution garden


bulrushes outside the alpine house

alpine house without macro lens








and the next ones out of order too
yukka in the evolution garden
I only went as far as this to check the berries -  they are far less "out" than the ones at the pavilion cafe,  loads still to come 

despite no macro caught some raindrops


before heading back past the alpine house (see above)

and round the grass garden to the exit 

they're due to cut the grasses back for winter soon, so make the most of this, they may be gone next week!













final shadow selfie from me!



and finishing today with the monkey puzzle, was hoping I'd have caught the rain drops!

.



except for the view of the Thames from Kew Bridge -  train both ways today, first time in ages.

(did miss the connection this week though!)

Thanks for walking with me, see you next week 

2 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Christmas installations. All that green still showing.

The autumn colors were wonderful. I love how the reds, oranges, and yellows intertwined with the greens and the wet pathways. Lovely views from the lake, too.

What do they do with the waterlilies during winter? You got some great shots. Nice not to have to fight other visitors for a few great shots.

Nice to see they have some new Christmas decorations this year.

Glad you stayed after coffee because I love the shots from the POW house. I always love the cacti.

Thanks for taking me, and although I read every word and saw every photo. I just don't have much strength yet.

Celtic house said...

Wow what a difference a week makes, realised I'd not posted on last weeks post although I'd had a look late one night and meant to right a comment the morning after - which then escaped my mind.

Loving the colours despite the lack of blue skies, you had some near the end of the visit though. There is definitely a lot more yellow amongst the remaining leaves now. The Christmas decorations are looking interesting too.

Hugs