Saturday, November 18, 2023

Kew - a bit damp this week

 But not as bad as the forecast initially said.

I had time before opening time for breakfast at the cafe up the road, but didn't take a photo... was the same as last week (except coffee not tea)
as I took approached the Palm House for my opening shot, I was struck by the beautiful colour of this tree by the side of the pond so I headed that way next... just realised I  never did walk down the Broad Walk today 
dull sky means dull reflections, but still plenty of them!  

the trees at the top of the Broad Walk, looking magnificent.


It was barely drizzling for now,  but I headed to the Princess of Wales conservatory first 



quick trip to the upper level 

there was a new basket of orchids flowering in the cool orchid room, and the artist lady was just setting up


on the way out of the conservatory



then I walked round the side, to find "Snapper"  star of the John Lewis Christmas ad,  
I' d seen a picture of him illuminated from Kew's FB page
I had to change lens to get the full effect,  managed to do it without putting the bag on the wet ground or dropping anything, which was good. 
he's rather magnificent don't you think!  quite a large Venus Fly Trap though....




I borrowed this from the FB page 
then the Alpine house 


some sweetly scented Narcissus 

small nerines
scilla


outside the pond has lots of bulrushes 

I ducked under the dripping branches of the aceer by the opening to the evolution garden
pausing for some salvias in the border

then into the evolution garden 
where the bright yellow flowers of the mahonia stopped me
and nearby in the ground near a big yukka a load of red mushrooms,  they spread quite a way
went to find the porcelain berries


a few asters left along the other side of the path,




 all the rudbeckias and helenium are seed heads now

loads of water drops on the euphorbia close to the new peony beds

the camera was on the wonk, not the temple!
more mahonia

walked round past the other entrance to the POW ,  drizzling again now.   brolly  was up and down!  
the callicarpa has mostly lost it's leaves which makes the berries more visible
I was determined to keep my feet dry, but had to walk on the grass to get close enough.


luckily the grass was quite short so I was ok




the path then takes you towards the Broad Walk - the red tree is the other side of the path, the yellow one my side...


I crossed the Broad Walk and stopped to photograph the bright birds 






I followed the path through part of the Light trail
there were lots of these with their neon pink stems



due to the trail, there were parts of the grass roped off (to stop night visitors getting lost in the dark)
so I photographed the trees from a distance
a peek of the Palm House


there are lots of these too




they stand out well against the trees

we saw the stars last week in the sunshine and blue skies... they tone well with the trees, which is lovely (and I am sure, planned)










I didn't go to the lake from here it would be too muddy

instead i took the higher path toward the lake crossing to go under the gorgeous bauble arches.... I think they're fabulous





today they were covered in raindrops
which means damp bauble selfies
trying to keep the umbrella over me at the same time was tricky


from the other side... 
pine tree near the lake crossing,  also dripping!  




there weren't many birds on the water 

so I re-traced my steps  
put the umbrella away, it had stopped again for now



and tried again



before heading for the Temperate House



through the Davies exploration house 


and round the side of the Temperate House 
looking back, that's the exploration house on the left 
cherry trees outside the TH

inside...




the tempranillo tree tomatoes are ripening






heading out of the TH  I noticed a clump of orchids 

and the cherry trees the other side of the TH are part of the lights trail.


some of them were lit.


these are the fruits of a big tree to the left of Cherry walk whose name I can't remember... they'd been placed on the two pillars at the top of the steps
normally as you know I walk along the grass to see these, but stayed on the path at the top of the newly planted area close by




some more new plants have appeared 
raindrops of course! 



then heading back toward the Palm House 















I wondered what was along Camellia walk. 


but I decided not to walk along Camellia Walk under the baubles, I'll leave that for next time!

it was time to head home,  via the shop where I did a bit of Christmas shopping (I know!!)   


Thanks for coming with me on this much gloomier day than last time - but I think you'll agree, still loads to see.


See you next week.  

2 comments:

Celtic house said...


ah at least you managed a visit to Kew and gearing up to Christmas as well. The autumn colours are still beautiful at the moment aren't they.

Hope you have a lovely Sunday

Hugs

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Great photo collection Helen but I have to admit to being distracted by Snapper. I'm sure if he could speak he would be shouting " Feed Me, Feed Me" he certainly looks like the plant on Little Shop of Horrors. Wishing you a good week. Hugs, Angela xXx