Saturday, August 19, 2023

Kew

 Kim wasn't well today so I was on my own for my visit to Kew.. I was expecting it to be very wet underfoot as at home we'd had lots of rain overnight.

the sky was quite grey to start with (and got more so as you will see) but the rain had passed 

the Egpytian geese were in amongst the Palm House flowers

and the youngsters were enjoying them greatly!



the fountain wasn't on at all today 
I turned at the sound of the honking of geese as they flew over the pond

these beauties are starting to fade now 
I headed down the Broad Walk 

the roses were smelling gorgeous

I meant to go round the other side of the border later on but forgot
these white Japanese anemones are beautiful 
more signs of the end of season... 
but these will look good for a while to come yet, even as they fade



last week blogger didn't mess with the order once...








downward facing scabious (is that a weird yoga pose, lol)










teeny tiny snail on the echinacea

I took  one on the phone too, for FB  -it has a good macro function but has trouble focusing at it;s closest limit. 

back to camera 
I loved how translucent looking the shell was


I didn't see the fly till I downloaded the photo
then I headed round past the Orangery

pausing at the monkey puzzle tree


and round the back of the grass garden
more anemones
the student bed gates were still shut... didn't go back later for the sunflowers.
It's very hit and miss if they get  opened at 8 or not until 10 with the rest of the "buildings" 
as I walked past the vegetable garden I  noticed a pop of colour - they've planted some vines according to a notice.
my camera insisted on focusing on the plain leaf not the pretty one!


from the other side they don't look as striking


the beans bed was pretty
more underplanting in another bed
I went back out to the path through the pergola along the Evolution Garden


these sunflowers are planted along the second half of the veg garden edge.


some are starting to flower


but I love the unopened flower so much!  

I tried again with the physalis.  still a bit blurry


fading echinops - not sure I've seen one at this stage of decay before, 

then to my favourite part of the evolution garden  





i love the asters with raindrops
and got some great ones today
I think this must have self-seeded in amongst the helianthum as I don't recall seeing one in the middle of them before
the solidago is losing it's bright yellow but still offsets the asters nicely





  

something called veratrum nigrum
eucomis


clematis 
in the rock garden

euphorbia in it's autumn colours


I walked down the path along the edge of the rock garden
past the salvia border which is getting going 

back at the palm house
I turned off the path through the rose garden towards the lake
sky still grey as you see! 
but a nice back drop for the pine
some kind of bracket fungus 
big mushrooms in some leaf litter under a tree

as I got to the lake a moorhen and her two chicks were scrabbling around - the chicks squabbling over some food - the parent came up close to me and then decided I was too close to her and flapped up at me!  cheek....
I could only see one of the swans onthe water and no sign of the cygnets 
there were some fabulous reflections despite the pond weed spreading across the water



neither Kim nor I have been that taken with the summer "feature" this year

I took the path towards the Japanese garden that I think is called Holly Walk  - there are certainly loads of holly bushes

I can't see it named on the map though
there were certainly loads of berries too!


Sorbus 

there was another one on the left side of the path, and as I moved towards it about a dozen or more green parakeets flew off from the branches - too quick for my reactions though




I didn't visit the big bed of hydrangeas along Cedar Vista towards the lake today

these ones near the Japanese Garden 

the trees are starting to turn....

Japanese garden


















phone photo.  trees are definitely getting ready for autumn


lichens 

I headed back towards the Pavilion cafe

in honour of the missing Kim, some "fluffy" stuff... bit bedraggled from the rain 
more berries - lots of berries

more bracket fungus, I think
the pavilion care was still closed but I wandered round the outside - the vines were looking good
and are starting to turn colour too
there seems to be a heavy cropf of grapes this year
these are the berries that will turn blue and purple before long

Golden Rain tree
turning a deeper colour 
heading back past the still closed Temeprate House
took the path back to the cafe at Victoria Gate


luckily a stiff breeze blew these dark grey clouds away without it raining on me

I stopped for breakfast 

coffee and a cheese and mushroom croissant, no cake today

I nearly didn't bother going back to the Temperate House after I'd eaten

but was glad I did as they've been busy re-planting beds by King William's Temple
and also in the new beds
I like how they've put the grey gravel round the delphiniums, it sets them off beautifully
looking over the wall

I put the short lens on so I could get some different views when I went inside




although it didn't last long!

this was a really pretty pink passionflower






tumbling down the outside of the pot



the viewing platform was closed today

popped across the way to the Davies Exploration house 
their grass tree is still there - the "two-headed" one in the main Temperate House has been taken out
it was easier to see the Strawflowers today




but I blurred the closeups of the silver daisy bush

this shows how it gets it's name 

changed a setting to avoid over exposure 

bit of blue sky now!

pattern on the big urn inside the door
carried on my way round the Temperate House
fuschias

can't be bothered to correct the order...

gorgeous light though the leaves





jasmine
more fuschias.  

interesting to see that this
will end up like this





short zoom on again 


at the Palm House now
this might show the scale better
one big bush each side of the door

I decided to stay with the short lens and some wider views inside the palm house for a change










just love all the shapes and colours of the leaves palms and fronds

love a bit of rust, but I hope in due course a restoration of the Palm house will happen -  will be a tricky one if they do, trying to find alternative accommodation for the tropical plants!


I happened to look up as I got to the end of the Palm House and was rewarded with a nice view of the inside of the roof


then it was waterlily house time
still have the short lenz on 

still a grey sky!  
they've opened the door right through - so you can see past the inner porch to the waterlily house itself
the gourds seem to have finished - there was one small green one left 
the other side of the outer porch
it was nice to have room to do this as there weren't too many people inside 

one of the "curtains" of passionflower planting


passionflower leaves hanging down
gorgeous red one,  most of them are high up towards the roof so this was a treat to get.



then I headed back outside

and into the Princess of Wales conservatory.


agave
this is hard to get as it's tall above your head 


into the rainforest bit.. very hot!  my jeans instantly stuck to my legs.
walked through the carnivorous room


back out into the rainforest

out of order again

in the orchid room was a lady painting the orchids in the cabinet - watercolours -  beautiful  I wish I'd got one of her painting !




outside the POW

beautiful light through this dahlia

quick trip to the alpine house







blogger is doing it's best to annoy me today.


this is near the exit...

sorbus berries
the Orangery between the trees


I love this "fringing" of the branches 
outside the POW...
more "drippy" pines

for the first time in ages I was getting the train home so headed for the Elizabeth gate exit 
pausing by the two beds nearby







I was home in super-quick time too, both trains ran on time (which meant I caught the 2nd one easily when I changed at Clapham Junction)


thanks for looking,  hope you enjoyed.  

see you next week.  

2 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your opening shots are marvelous. Those beds are truly looking spectacular.

Those roses are fabulous. My grandmother LOVED yellow roses, so I bought a rose bush and had it planted by her grave.

Some days blogger is helpful, others not so much.

Gotta love the echinacea, but I'm not fond of snails. I love that monkey puzzle tree. It looks like a succulent.

Those sunflowers don't look thie same when they are forming.

That moorhen looks like she has dangerous claws. Scary.

I can't believe autumn is starting to show its colors in your world. It won't be long now.

Your croissant sounds delicious.

That gray gravel is beautiful, but I would hate to have to clean it up. You took a lot of time chaning lenses. It made a big difference, too. It really shows in the Palm House.

Beautiful closing photos. I love the color combinations. I was here over any hour and barely touched the surface of what you shared today, dear.



Celtic house said...

There is definitely a feel of autumn on the horizon isn't there.im glad you enjoyed your trip even though your friend wasn't about hopecshe is feeling better.

Love the geese photos I heard them flying overhead when I was at work recently I'm assuming they are on the mov

Have a lovely week xx