Saturday, March 11, 2023

Kew - a sunny day

 Hello,  Saturday again and Kew-day! 

a lovely blue sky and some sunshine - makes such a difference.

to go with the auto focus problems I have done something to my right wrist/base of my thumb and operating the camera was painful.... 



it wasn't anywhere near as cold as I had thought it would be though so that was a plus!  



no orchid queue snaking round the path today
Kim and I headed down the Broad Walk first 









before turning off to the Princess of Wales conservatory where we could now roam through the whole area not just the orchid display
blogger is reversing the order,  so we'll go with it...


pretty little passion flower on the upper level 
camera really didn't want to play for a while
but got some decent water drops
down on the ground floor, arid area

was disappointed to see the flowers on this tall spike have faded quickly,  last week we were early for it this week nearly over!

right, back to that passion flower....

the jade vine looking fabulous again, the colour is working better today!

some fabulous water drops on it,  it had not long been watered just before opening time







just by the pond (where the lion was)  are some pink bananas 
and some lovely water drops on a big leaf
in the carnivorous room
some delicate little flowers
back out in the rainforest area


in the ferny bit (where the gorillas were)  a fern unfurling...
and some lovely red "backs of leaves! 

there were some of the pots of orchids still dotted around
and in the little pool of water just in front of the back door (front door?)  is one of the hippos and birds

(last year they put the golden frogs down here  after the display finished)  

going backwards again...








another of the upstairs areas 
fantastic pattern! 


so pretty but camera was being a b***er  
leaf patterns
dip in a leaf full of water (from the watering not a hole in the roof!)

back on the ground floor



in the ferny area again (missed these first time going through - no wonder we missed the gorillas first week of the orchids, lol!)  
closer look at the fern unfurling 
at the base of the ferns, Kim spotted this first to be fair, love the water and the light on the leaves
my favourite, grevillea,  in flower again 













in the doorway of the exit a tub of orchids,  masses of flowers
didn't think I'd got them focussed but they seem ok
the mass of flowers though is a bit different!  ah well... so many blooms





grasses in front of the alpine house,in the rock garden

bit of cloud, but still dry and quite mild (compared to what we've had!) 

in the alpine house.  climbing up a frame in a pot 
the unopened flowers are so pretty too
fritillary

more fritillary

muscari

euphorbia, the prostrate one,  

evolution garden,   magnolia  trying to flower

they were really early last year, my FB timeline memories show me them in full flower!

hydrangea skeletons
it's growing new leaves now !  


so nice to see blue sky behind seedheads


love the hill covered in daffodils

at the pond,  long zoom in hand...




I had planned for the sun with the lens! I don't always carry the long zoom with me 


zooming in on the door of the Palm House


lots of people enjoying the spring day
looking across the pond













I've left this in, as I quite like the effect but I was trying to make the camera focus on the buds below!















beautiful camelia,  reminded us of raspberry ripple ice cream











still had the long zoom on, so it doesn't do close ups well but these were pretty!


viburnum




time to head for refreshments now...

elevenses...

it was so nice and sunny we ate outside 

hot chocolate and a fantastic slice of gingerbread cake, with chunks of stem ginger in the middle layer of icing.  Worth every penny!  

then we headed off towards the lake,

along a path with lots of crocus out under the trees
looking gorgeous in the sunshine











a little further on was a bank with loads more crocus at the foot.  

despite it being a bit muddy under foot I had to do my lying down thing!






whilst down there snapped Kim

it was worth a muddy knee of my jeans!

heading further on to the lake we came across a tall monkey puzzle tree 

this one is taller (I think) than the one we see near the Orangery restaurant  and the flowers are higher up
but looking gorgeous against a blue sky
at the lake, the island (the swans normally nest on this island)  has been largely cleared of plants 

there were several groups of geese getting into  mating season!
this man walked across the crossing and made a nice reflection

tree by the crossing starting to burst into flower





Kim had a bonus trip to Kew on Tuesday and come across this on the bank of the lake covered in frost and ice

today it was just looking gorgeo






then we headed to the woodland walk




still no bluebells out - just the leaves growing



we took the relatively new boardwalk "extension" that twists 


and turns.


following Kim...


past bug hotels

and tree trunks with funghi

this part is better when the trees have more green leaves 

blossom near Queen Charlotte's Cottage looking better than last week 
back at the Temperate House now












lovely cherry pink rhododendron in the temperate house

heading back along the grass on our way home


I nipped through the Palm House as I had a while before my train...
and some lichen on a tree 

before heading to the station where my train was late this week so I missed the connection at Clapham Junction!


Today was really lovely,  so nice to see the blue sky and sun for a while (the predicted rain is here now as I am writing this)


Thanks for looking - see you next week!

3 comments:

Celtic house said...

Oh another lovely visit to Kew and no queues this time, you look like you had a good day weather wise and I'm sorry to hear your hand/thumb is giving you grief, I hope it has improved/is improving.

Loving all the colours, the jade plant really is jade in colour which is fabulous and the depth of colour on those muscari one of my favourite shots, I've got them growing it the garden and as they are a corm and not a bulb they multiply in size each year so I could do with lifting and splitting the clumps this year.

Hope you are having a good Sunday.

Hugs

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I swear I was here on Sunday, but obviously not so. Stress, I guess. sorry to read abut your wrist and thumb. I hope it's nothing major like carpal tunnel.

It was so good you showed the empty urns around the pond.

Pink bananas? Never heard of pink ones. I know the animals are gone. I take it so are all the orchids. I like the hippos and bird in the water. Glad they kept them. I know I saw some orchids. Are they left from the show or ??

I'm always mesmerized by the tiny flowers in the Alpine House.

Gorgeous daffodils and great pond sculpture/fountain.

Yes, that cake looks and even sounds delicious.

Lovely crocus. Looks like it was worth a muddy knee. LOVE the bug hotels. I really MUST make one this year.

Sounds like you had a lovely time this week and missed the rain until you were home. Glad you took me there again this week. Charming photos as usual. Rest your wrist, dear.



Kyla said...

Hope your hand is better and love the water droplet photo