Saturday, March 4, 2023

Kew - orchid finale

 This weekend sees the end of the orchid festival, already, that month flew by!

Another grey slightly damp morning, but not as cold as predicted (though I had lots of layers on!) 
Kim headed straight to the queue for the orchids whilst I took my standard opening shot..and joined her at the front of the 10.15 timeslot!  
luckily we only had a few minutes to wait as it was trying to drizzle here and it's an exposed spot so felt colder here...
I'm still having trouble with the auto focus on my camera ; I can see I am going to have to take it into a camera store to get it checked.  



walking through the arid section


I was really trying to just make the camera focus for these!
into the steamy rainforest bit





I spotted a third hippo in the water under the dark leaves on this photo...doh!


bit of lens fogging!  
lion from the side








the jade vine, that grows on the other side of the path by the pond is out - the colour hasn't recorded very well, it's much deeper IRL

this is a bit more like it in this one






the croc in front of the "waterfall" of orchids

a combination of fogging and focussing issues to fault here...

but as they'll be gone next week I'm including them

part of the arch at the end of the rainforest part








made sure to catch the gorillas 





in amongst the ferns where the gorillas are is a rhododendron on the other side of the path

these are all on manual focus (without glasses!)  as the auto focus wasn't playing 













another arch - bit out of focus, oops


these chocolately coloured ones are some of my favourites


didn't see the little spider till I downloaded this one
on the arch









leopard - amazingly a gap in the human traffic so only me and Kim here to get some clear shots


pleased with water drops today!  

I love this bit 























really pleased with this one, the water drops ad the light behind the orchid



















still love the giraffes




















out into the other side of the arid section 

these are too far into the bed for clos ups sadly


spiky! 




good job I noticed Kim photographing this or I'd have missed it 








back outside, there were spits of rain in the air but luckily didn't last


the blue and purple under the tree were pretty


looking back at the POW 


buds on trees, lichen covered branches in the background

alpine house with a very grey backdrop! 

pretty little climber in the alpine house








outside the alpine house,  rock garden



 quick walk through the rock garden 

then through rhododendron dell - just coming into flower


towards the woodland walk

camelia






woodland walk, springing into blossom 
Queen Charlotte's cottage 
back at the Palm House on the way home
the line of people across the middle of the shot are queuing to get into the orchids

Top tip - if you ever go, get as early a time slot as possible








I'd put the macro away as I was heading out, but quick group of hellebores down the Broad Walk 







and some blossom with no name on the tree trunk but very pretty
spring is definitely on the way!  



Thanks for looking,  see you next week   



Edited in time for my WOYWW post. 
had an unexpected companion at Kew on Saturday and we decided to save it for Wednesday to share.


Kyla!   she messaged me on Friday to  say she and her hubby Lee were hoping to make Kew and could we meet up... hell yeah!  
was really great to catch up 


thanks Kyla!!  


4 comments:

Celtic house said...

Ah the orchids really do look stunning don't they, glad you managed a final visit before it ends. I've a friend who visited by coach recently and said how stunning it was and how many photos she'd taken and I mentioned that you visited frequently (she was very envious).

Loving the blossom on the trees definitely a sign that spring is on its way.

Have a great Sunday.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry to read you are having camera troubles. I seem to have the same problem at times, but I think it's because the settings on my camera are not right yet (still learning all about it). You started in possibly my favorite area with the cacti. I think you did a great job on the cacti, since there were so many at different points of view.


Enjoyed seeing the hippos, the lion, the crocodile, the gorillas, the stunning leopard, the giraffes, and of course, the amazing orchids.

Great view of Queen Charlotte's cottage. Thanks for taking us one last time to see these incredible orchids. And thanks for your heartwarming comments. The teens agree, and even though I haven't mentioned them much lately, they still check your blog each week.

Diana Taylor said...

Wow, the orchids are absolutely stunning - I especially love the chocolatey ones, I think they are among my favourites too. The Jade Vine is another eye catcher - such an unusual colour. I rather like the misty look on some of your photos, it has a magical feel to it!
Thanks so much for letting me share your lovely visit,
Diana xx

Kyla said...

Was great meeting up and i so didn't spot those gorillas either! Hope the camera gets sorted