Saturday, December 17, 2022

After the snow - Kew

 During the week we had a small snowfall,  and today was the first chance of a visit to Kew - still really cold but not as cold as last week I don't think -  some of the snow was still there

the beds still have a light covering of snow on them
the Palm House pond was not only frozen but had snow sitting on the surface too




it was fascinating to see the shapes that had frozen on the pond,  the area close to the fountain was still free of ice, as the fountain is on a low setting to enable the light display to function



there was a low wintery sun trying to shine 



the tee near the fountain, still silvery and icy...
beautiful!

seen through the dogwood

the dogwoods round the pond were vibrant
(blogger has reversed the previous few)

then along the Broad Walk.. 

the frost was different from last week...
and there was frozen snow on part of the ground under our feet..




think this was verbena 

an icy forest of euphorbia


the Broad Walk looking like a Christmas card
the sun trying to break through
mistletoe hanging from a arch over a seat on part of the lights trail














there were large patches of snow on the open grass areas


poor magnolia, bit cold to be in bud!
we followed part of the lights trail,  I'd not seen these on previous visits this year 

obviously it all looks very different at night (the year I came, I found it really hard to get my bearings for whereabouts I was in the Gardens)


but lots of it is very impressive by day too


crossing the grass on the snow - seems to be a mix of snow and frost - beautiful patterns in crystals, but they possibly don't show up too well as I couldn't get low enough (certainly not lying down today!) 
snowy tree trunk


the mirrors demanded closer inspection

I was about to change lens when Kim called me to look at the ice patterns...






I think this is my favourite... I was trying to work out what the red was, but it must be the pattern in my gloves 

heading towards the lake

there isn't enough snow for it to be Narnia, but still very pretty! 







blogger won't load them in the right order...

frozen oak leaves underfoot...

the lake is frozen

bullrushes

a lakeside bush


there weren't any geese around for feeding today, must be hiding somewhere









slightly nearer the lake crossing, there were a group of gulls on the ice
Kim threw some food down...

they came skidding in to land - wish I had video'd them sliding about 
dappled sun catching the icy surface








we turned away from the lake and headed through the bamboo garden to catch another bit of the route
last time I saw these they were dripping in colourful berries, not snow


then a willow representation of the 12 Days of Christmas,  not worth many photos...

but the French hen was quite pretty











and I loved the 10 Lords-a-leaping 


this tree had several willow baubles in (think they called them something else though but they looked like baubles to me)

the Christmas Cathedral was there again, whilst I was on the bus to Kew I was listening to a feature on the Radio 4 news programme about Christmas light events and they spoke to the lady who organises Kew amongst other, and she said this is their signature feature that appears at all their designs
we got back to the Children's garden, which was deserted but snuck a look through the hedges which were bare of leaves so we had a better view than normal.
back to where we'd started on this part of the trail
looking over to the Hive behind the Broad Walk 

the pale sun was just catching the glass


Kim wanted to look at Kew Palace so we headed there next
blogger of course is changing the order of the photos...


the Palace walls were frosty
the formal gardens were looking pretty
tree trunk in the sunken garden, this is the laburnum arch



snowy grass on the way over to the Palace.  (can't be bothered to re-load them all..)

crouched down for the low box hedging...
statue with  icy cobwebs
as I was saying, the Palace walls were frosty!













couple from the phone 



another frozen pond, some more frosty bullrushes
we noticed that these trees were full of green parakeets... I was longing for a load noise to make them all take off from the branches...



more snowy crystals
icy mahonia leaves 

just enough sun for some shadows...
heading round towards the Evolution Garden via the Elizabeth gate entrance path..


snowy frosty stems
and ferns




I dashed over to check the slate water feature that was so full of icicles last week.


there weren't as many as last week, but they had grown - they were looking much chunkier!  





just took a few on my phone, and headed back to catch Kim up









snowy Rock Garden






Kim was in the grass garden and called me over...

they'd had enough snow earlier in the week for this...


cute!  


as I tried to show Kim the icicles.  my phone battery was dead - the cold had drained it...

damn!

so, just the camera then...

snowy ice crystals on the wall of the waterlily pond 
alpine house
ferns in the sun

rock garden from the end by the Princess of Wales conservatory
snow collecting in the leaves of the outdoor agave

couldn't get the right angle to show them properly
as the frozen rill round the POW is in the way

we headed back to the pond by the Palm House


for a closer look at the beautiful tree
I put on the long zoom 


the statue has icicles hanging from his hand



through the leaves in front..


the temperatures are due to warm up after today so next time there won't be this view.


from the viewing platform for the light show,
a better look at his icicles!  


and you can see icicles on the branches too
the dogwood from this angle were stunning in the sun

a little bit of blue sky!

a couple of geese 
flew across my shot...

don't the dogwood look gorgeous!






love the seagull sitting on the snowy head of the lion!



sun shining through leaves


we headed in to the cafe and were lucky to find a seat as a group were leaving - and with a socket to charge my phone a little
(I don't usually carry a charger but after last week I had put it in my bag...)

I had hot chocolate and a sausage roll, Kim went for the cheese and mushroom croissant!


There'll be no visit next Saturday as it's Christmas Eve and Kew is closed for that and Christmas Day, but I am not working in between Christmas and New Year and hope to pop in an extra visit before the following weekend!


Thanks for looking,  see you soon! 

3 comments:

Celtic house said...

Wow those photos are stunning, they have a serious Christmas card feel to them. I adore the ice crystals that had formed on the mirrors and that dash of red makes them feel really festive. The whole garden seems to have taken on a Narnia quality to it. I had to giggle at the snowman, couldn't work out whether the pampass grass was arms or wings if I'm honest, but cool nnonetheless and love the willow sculptures too, so much detail, I dread to think how long they took.

Hope you have a lovely Sunday and rest of weeks and if I don't happen along her before Christmas have a love day.

Hugs

Diana Taylor said...

Stunning photos Helen, the ice and frost on the trees is magical and I love the ice patterns - isn't nature wonderful. I wonder if the birds get cold feet - it can be so funny to see them sliding around on the ice.
Thanks so much for sharing,
Diana xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Great photos Helen. The frost looks magical but I'm pleased it's warmed up a bit here. Wishing you a very happy Christmas xXx